IGNORED

Formula One 2021 - DRAMA - #Michael Messy

T Pot

23 minutes ago, morcs said:

I think it's easy to say they should have red flagged in retrospect given what happened, not so easy to make that call straight away in the moment.

I'm not sure it's even easy to say. Or allowed. Would the rules or or precedence for that?

I suspect we might see a knee jerk rules change to this though. Safety car in the final 5 laps is always a red flag and standing restart.

Which of course will be dumb because of a whole bunch of unintended impacts. They'll try to use the VSC when they should use the full because they don't want to trigger the red flag and restart. It's hugely artificial in too many circumstances.

All of this is really F1s core issue. Over the years they've complicated things over and over because the people involved in the sport seem constantly surprised by the obvious results of on the spot decisions.

I’ve not watched F1 in years but my son got right into it thru Netflix so I watched the race today.

That is some WWE drivel there and I won’t be watching any more next year, somebody handed verstappen a chair hidden under the ring.

Sporting drama is meant to be earned not manipulated like that - if he’d clawed the lead back on tyres then great, but the way that transpired is just cynical and the opposite of compelling sporting drama.

It was so far beyond a close offside call or dodgy ref giving a soft penalty, Verstappen was done and essentially gifted the win.

4 minutes ago, davidcotton said:

Max and Red Bull it seems.  “Finally a bit of luck” over the radio.  Massive roll eyes at that point. 

Redbull are full on heels in wrestling parlance. As long as it’s a win, that’s all they care about. 

The thing about F1 is that it's just not supposed to appeal to me anymore. I'm not that 'core' market/demographic, that whingy, whiney entitled entourage that F1 has courted. It's become like football where you challenge every call, every decision, bitch and moan, and fake it all in search of glory. I'm glad I only invested an hour and a half in it.

The stewards need to police it, the rules need to be simplified, and someone like Freitas, who takes no bullshit at all, needs to be the race steward. If Horner whined on the headset to him, he'd probably tell him to get fucked.

I swear I want to cave in Horner's head with a shovel when he repeats 'let them race, let them race' and I'm not even a big F1 fan !

What Nexiv said, and I don't understand how the pundits there aren't bringing it up that Hamilton's strategy for the whole race was turned upside down and Mercedes wouldn't have chose that strategy if they'd known they'd change the rules. 

1 minute ago, Loik V credern said:

I swear I want to cave in Horner's head with a shovel when he repeats 'let them race, let them race' and I'm not even a big F1 fan !

What Nexiv said, and I don't understand how the pundits there aren't bringing it up that Hamilton's strategy for the whole race was turned upside down and Mercedes wouldn't have chose that strategy if they'd known they'd change the rules. 

Because they would have.

Mercedes did all they could, you cannot pit first if you're in front under SC.

1 minute ago, MrPogo said:

£10 says they’ll conclude the race result is invalid, cancel the whole thing and declare Max champion based on the standings before the start.

Abu Dhabi pays too much money for the finale for that to happen. But Mercedes did their strategy according to the rules and Masi thought fuck it lets have Max win. 

Just now, Dudley said:

Because they would have.

Mercedes did all they could, you cannot pit first if you're in front under SC.

Which is why I think Wolff was begging for VSC earlier in the race as it meant they could react within their many planned strategies.

Serious chat this’ll get overturned. I hope not. Lewis wouldn’t want that. Merc and RB both won a championship today. Both can celebrate their season. Roll on next season. 

Only Lewis has lost out but he won’t be too down about it. 

4 minutes ago, Oracle said:

As long as it’s a win, that’s all they care about. 

That's all anyone in F1 cares about. Will Mercedes turn down the championship if they win it by a stewards' decision? 

Just now, Blue said:

That's all anyone in F1 cares about. Will Mercedes turn down the championship if they win it by a stewards' decision? 

Of course not, but they’ll have done it within the agreed framework of the rules. RB currently haven’t, or at least it’s heavily shonky. 

1 minute ago, Baring said:

Serious chat this’ll get overturned. I hope not. Lewis wouldn’t want that. Merc and RB both won a championship today. Both can celebrate their season. Roll on next season. 

Only Lewis has lost out but he won’t be too down about it. 

From a sporting point of view, it should be overturned. Otherwise, what is the point in it being a legitimate contest? As many others have said, you may as well turn it into a work like WWE if your sporting code is so worthless you can't abide by it.

However you're absolutely right - no one wants to win the title like this. I don't think Lewis or Max should feel particularly proud or happy about the circumstances.

Not sure how you reasonably and fairly resolve it at that point, short of making it a 1v1 shootout over 3 laps or something.