IGNORED

Formula One 2021 - DRAMA - #Michael Messy

T Pot

5 minutes ago, PaB said:

Yeah anyone that has any respect for themselves should never try to fight against what they perceive as injustice , they should let it slide . 

Not the same thing. Countless sporting moments could be retold if taken to courts. Liverpool for example could have had another couple of titles, Sheffield United may not get relegated, Brady gets his team DQ'd from the AFC Championship game, etc, etc, etc

10 minutes ago, bradigor said:

If hope Lewis has enough respect for himself to not win it in the courts. 

The rules need an overhaul in the winter.

fuck that.  It’s got nothing to do with respect for yourself. What a bullshit post.  It was shitty shitty race control.  I’d fight that shit all the way to the courts.  

2 minutes ago, NexivRed said:

Mercedes chose not to pit based on the rules as they stand. You could tell from what they said that they knew, with only 4 laps to go, that they would not clear Latifi’s car, and unlap all cars.
Keeping track position rather than pitting to go racing was the decision and it was based on a rule that then changed. 

If Mercedes knew what the end would be, I think they would have also pitted. Because why wouldn’t they. 

This is why I am angry. 

Spot on ^

3 minutes ago, sprite said:

They engineered it to get “racing drama” but it was stupid because it would only ever have gone the way it did due to the tyre situation. 

And no drs for 2 laps after safety car? I was just watching thinking Hamilton has no chance, with drs would he? Horner has a weird personality defect of not remotely recognising how dubious it is, how can he say 'that's all we've been saying all season; let them race' while overlooking it's not a fair race and it's impossible Hamilton can hold off Verstappen. 

12 minutes ago, sprite said:

They engineered it to get “racing drama” but it was stupid because it would only ever have gone the way it did due to the tyre situation. 

This is the problem, isn't it?  That "race drama" was purely for the benefit of the Netflix show, which is essentially a soap opera with a backdrop of sport.  The deciding factor was obviously the desire to give the show a dramatic finale.  It's easy to sell the plotline that a last-minute crash meant that the title came down to a winner-takes-all one-lap shoot-out.  However, the fact that Hamilton had much older tires meant that it was inevitable that Verstappen would be able to get past him.  That fact will probably be played down in the edit.

All season, F1 have been trying to engineer an exciting championship to appease Netflix, with marginal decisions consistently being given in the direction that best suits the show.  It's massively erroded the integrity of the sport.

This should act as a warning to other sports not to get into bed with Netflix, but I suspect that the opposite lesson will be taken away when the ratings for this farce come out.

3 minutes ago, NexivRed said:

Mercedes chose not to pit based on the rules as they stand. You could tell from what they said that they knew, with only 4 laps to go, that they would not have time to clear Latifi’s car, and unlap all cars before the race ended. 
Keeping track position rather than pitting to go racing was the decision, and it was based on a rule…..that was then changed. 

If Mercedes knew what the end would be, I think they would have also pitted. Because why wouldn’t they. 

This is why I am angry. 

Brilliant way to put this point :)

And I think this is a shame, and really shows up Masi’s comments “this is a motor car sport” to Toto as really bullshit too. Because it’s not. It’s the guys in the pit. The guys on the radio. The people in the factory and everyone involved in trying to orchestrate a winning strategy. 

3 minutes ago, NexivRed said:

Mercedes chose not to pit based on the rules as they stand. You could tell from what they said that they knew, with only 4 laps to go, that they would not have time to clear Latifi’s car, and unlap all cars before the race ended. 
Keeping track position rather than pitting to go racing was the decision, and it was based on a rule…..that was then changed. 

This is why I am angry. 

pretty much this is also why I’m mega pissed.  We COULD have had a decent fight at the end if both teams knew what Messi’s intention was.  Instead Hamilton was hung out to dry. No way was he going to fend off Max with old tyres and knowing he had to stay away from max on any corners.   Absolute fucking joke of an end. 

1 minute ago, rafaqat said:

fuck that.  It’s got nothing to do with respect for yourself. What a bullshit post.  It was shitty shitty race control.  I’d fight that shit all the way to the courts.  

You can't punish Max for the FIA fuck up. He didn't cause it. So he'd have a right to appeal, it would just become a mess'.

Maybe we follow the Cars script and have a one off two car race, where Max meets a bunch of quirky characters on the way who change the way he views life. 

6 minutes ago, NexivRed said:

This is why I am angry. 

Exactly right.

1 minute ago, bradigor said:

You can't punish Max for the FIA fuck up. He didn't cause it. So he'd have a right to appeal, it would just become a mess'.

Maybe we follow the Cars script and have a one off two car race, where Max meets a bunch of quirky characters on the way who change the way he views life. 

mate if you had any respect for yourself you wouldn’t have countered my post. Look I can do it too! 

Lewis being honourable isn’t really a reason for Merc not to protest. There’s hundreds of people back at the factory and in the garages who worked their arse off this year and have in all likelihood missed out on part of a year-end bonus because of what’s happened. Mercedes are also throwing a lot of money at the sport.

If Merc feel like there’s reason to protest then they have the obligation to do so for their staff and paymasters above all else.

2 minutes ago, Dudley said:

There's no way Mercedes could have pit under that SC either way, they'd be behind Max.  Unless they did it right as it came out, then Max wouldn't have.

biut we’d have had at least a bit more of an even fight on the last lap.