IGNORED

Formula One 2021 - DRAMA - #Michael Messy

T Pot

35 minutes ago, kiroquai said:

I’m not convinced the slipstream Max got was all that amazing - I just think he’s pulled an incredible lap out when he needed it the most.

If he reaches turn one in P1 tomorrow then Mercedes are in big trouble.

Yeah, the lap in Saudi would look like that if it had finished a tiny bit earlier.

8 minutes ago, Blue said:

Lando has already said he's staying well out of it. Tyre deg might play a big factor. Will both teams need to two stop? Will Max two stop and be hunting one stop Lewis down in the last 10 laps?

I'd have gone with "They only have to race each other, they're welcome to let me go off in front".

In can't believe that redbull are going for a 2 stop race with Max. That's never an option here and they just don't have the speed to pull enough of a gap to make it work.

I think they'll hope Perez gets the jump on Lewis, and try to hold him up to give Max the space for an early stop. But the DRS is so powerful here

I can't see Lewis sitting behind Perez long enough. 

It's going to be fascinating tomorrow. I think redbull are on the back foot now. 

They're playing down how worried they are about starting on softs.

But tbh, I think I would personally rather start 2nd on healthy mediums than 1st on healthy softs.

The problem they have is Max likely removed that option with the lockup.

I’d deffo take second after the first corner on mediums instead of first on softs. 

If RB do a 2 stop and Ham a 1 stop we may not get to see them battle that much if at all. 

RB with Max have burnt through all their new mediums haven’t they? I could see them chucking on hards for the first stop and softs at the end to try and hunt down Lewis if they think the hards won’t give them enough for a 1 stop.

I'm no F1 expert and I would like peoples opinion on tomorrows race now...this is really hard for Hamilton now, right?  

Verstappen has been a little...erratic shall we say, with his close racing incidents this season. Isn't it going to be super, super dangerous for Hamilton to try and pass him now?  If JV takes both cars out of the race, what's the likelihood of a points penalty?  Is it rare to happen?  He's got to just hope to beat him with the pit strategy, surely.  

6 minutes ago, Mitchell said:

I'm no F1 expert and I would like peoples opinion on tomorrows race now...this is really hard for Hamilton now, right?  

Verstappen has been a little...erratic shall we say, with his close racing incidents this season. Isn't it going to be super, super dangerous for Hamilton to try and pass him now?  If he takes both cars out of the race, what's the likelihood of a points penalty?  Is it rare to happen?  He's got to just hope to beat him with the put strategy, surely.  

Hard to tell. Providing it's as you were at the end of Lap 1 then Lewis could maybe just wait for Max to pit from his soft tyre stint and then disappear into the distance. It's set up to be quite a fascinating race.

He won't give a fuck, but if Hamilton doesn't beat Verstappen on the track rather than through strategy, then the Verstappen fans/Horner are going to be unbareable.

Mind you, I can see Horner doing a "Trump losing the Election" style "they stole the Championship" kind of thing too

C4 are all like "how did you beat him to pole!?"

He had different tyres? 🤷‍♂️

Coulthard "I can't believe what we just witnessed!!"

Really? No wonder you were always a number 2 driver, even to the Number 2 driver

13 minutes ago, wev said:

C4 are all like "how did you beat him to pole!?"

He had different tyres? 🤷‍♂️

Coulthard "I can't believe what we just witnessed!!"

Really? No wonder you were always a number 2 driver, even to the Number 2 driver

They were both on soft tyres in Q3.

It was Q2 where Max ran softs to Hamilton's mediums.

didn't realise Verstappen didn't have any new mediums, assumed they were going to go soft -> medium which was still a risk in my eyes considering the dropping temps.

how are they going to manage the hards as the temps cool? it can get pretty cold out there on Yas, especially since this race is later than usual and the winds off the water are pretty handy.

I've been to the track a couple of times and by the end of the race you see some people putting their coats on. do Red Bull think they're going to pull off the kind of first stint that'll keep them in the running? cos I didn't think their long runs in practice were special.

This season has been utterly enthralling viewing. It's the first time I've sat through an entire F1 season and looked forward to race weekends, more so than the footie truth be told.

It was sporadic viewing for me in the past when the likes of Alesi, Villneuve, Senna, Hill, Barrichello, Mansell, Button et al were racing. But I imagine for many, like myself, the Netflix show really shone a light on the sport and I was taken by the engineering side of it and that synergy between man and machine. I probably never really appreciated just how difficult it was to be honest, but over the last year, it's been something I've really gotten into and look forward to watching.

It could do without the pantomime politics, but I guess that's part and parcel of the sport, eh? I like to see the Brits do well and hope Lewis wins today, but Max would be fully deserving of it if he wins too.

Just hope we get a clean race today and the best man wins.

15 hours ago, Mitchell said:

Verstappen has been a little...erratic shall we say, with his close racing incidents this season. Isn't it going to be super, super dangerous for Hamilton to try and pass him now?  If JV takes both cars out of the race, what's the likelihood of a points penalty?  Is it rare to happen?  He's got to just hope to beat him with the pit strategy, surely.  

Points deductions virtually never happened although with our idiot race stewarding who knows, they made a big point of mentioning it was an option during the week if a title contender took the other one out.

Which is interesting because they said a title contender DID take another one out at Silverstone and the penalty was, essentially, to be given 25 points.

(To be clear I would not have penalised that incident but presumably given they said it was exactly what they'd punish now, if it happened now the other way, they would).

But the most important thing is, with the current situation, Lewis doesn't HAVE to pass him.  Likely being stuck on the wrong tyres will mean an extra stop for the Red Bull.

55 minutes ago, ryodi said:

Mazepin has COVID and will miss the race. 

COVID-19 is one place better than he usually gets.

42 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Which is interesting because they said a title contender DID take another one out at Silverstone and the penalty was, essentially, to be given 25 points.

(To be clear I would not have penalised that incident but presumably given they said it was exactly what they'd punish now, if it happened now the other way, they would).

Verstappen's spent years making moves that dare people to make contact and Hamilton decided to take him up on his offer. If the stewards had found the right line between hard racing and Verstappen's elbows then he would've had his wings clipped before Silverstone.

All of which is a view you're welcome to have.

But your view and mine don't matter, the FIA said he caused a crash that put his title rival out of the race.  And there wasn't a points penalty.

Ditto Monza of course the other way.

If that scenario repeats today and there's a points penalty they're fixing the championship.