Jump to content
IGNORED

Formula One 2021 - DRAMA - #Michael Messy


T Pot
 Share

Recommended Posts

18 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

RIP Sir Frank, add me to the list of people who got into F1 due to his cars and liveries in the 80s/90s 

 

I know the team was sold recently but it does really feel like an end of an era :( 

 

 

It is really. The last of the Garagistes who started thier teams with an industrial unit, a hewland gearbox, a ford DFV and a load of aluminium sheet. (I count Jordan as the last team of that loose era to arrive and survive, but Frank was the last of the founders of those teams who was still in the sport). 

 

Hopefully BBC4 will show the documentary about his life from a few years ago just after Claire took over the team. I caught it earlier this year and it was fascinating.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A friend of mine at Williams Advance Engineering said they would frequently see Sir Frank just sitting around the factory grounds watching people go about their business and chatting to anyone who'd stop in the latter years of the family owning the team.

 

What a remarkable man. If you think of all the tragedy in his life - the loss of Piers Courage, his car accident, Senna's death, losing his wife - to have kept going despite all of that showed reserves that I am not sure that many people have. It does also, as said, feel like the end of an era in many ways.

 

I can't recommend this book, written by his wife Ginny in 1991 highly enough if you want a raw, very human perspective on a man whose sporting achievements (rightly) take centre stage.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't follow F1 all that closely any more, but Williams were always "my" team.  They just seemed more human than the more robotic and all-conquering (at the time) McLaren.  Do they still do the buffet lunch for the entire pit lane on a Thursday or Friday?  It always sounded like one of the things that made the circus more relatable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RFT said:

 

It is really. The last of the Garagistes who started thier teams with an industrial unit, a hewland gearbox, a ford DFV and a load of aluminium sheet. (I count Jordan as the last team of that loose era to arrive and survive, but Frank was the last of the founders of those teams who was still in the sport). 

 

Hopefully BBC4 will show the documentary about his life from a few years ago just after Claire took over the team. I caught it earlier this year and it was fascinating.

 

I thought that that documentary painted quite a sad picture of him, there's no doubt about his achievements but I came away feeling that those achievements were at the expense of his family and kind of felt that the tensions between Claire and her brother over the running of the family business (her as team principal, him as the head of the heritage stuff) had come about due to them feeling duty bound to continue the name (plus maybe some jealousy aimed at Claire for having the more prominent job).

 

1 hour ago, kiroquai said:

A friend of mine at Williams Advance Engineering said they would frequently see Sir Frank just sitting around the factory grounds watching people go about their business and chatting to anyone who'd stop in the latter years of the family owning the team.

 

What a remarkable man. If you think of all the tragedy in his life - the loss of Piers Courage, his car accident, Senna's death, losing his wife - to have kept going despite all of that showed reserves that I am not sure that many people have. It does also, as said, feel like the end of an era in many ways.

 

I can't recommend this book, written by his wife Ginny in 1991 highly enough if you want a raw, very human perspective on a man whose sporting achievements (rightly) take centre stage.

 

 

 

Thanks for linking, I've ordered that as a Christmas present from the kids, hopefully it leaves me with a better impression of the man than the aforementioned documentary plus his treatment of Alesi and then Hill (or at least perceived treatment).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Blue said:

Apparently he never read his wife's book himself. 

 

Yeah reading about him over the years he really could be a cold, hard _______ at times. Learning these things about someone you admire and feel almost like you knew was a proper bummer at the time.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, mexos said:

 

Yeah reading about him over the years he really could be a cold, hard _______ at times. Learning these things about someone you admire and feel almost like you knew was a proper bummer at the time.

 

 

I don't know why he didn't read it. May well have had a valid reason. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Blue said:

I don't know why he didn't read it. May well have had a valid reason. 

 

To be fair I don't think I would.  You know what actually happened, the only thing reading it could get you is unhappy about the way something was painted.

 

There's no upside to doing so for me.

 

But maybe I'm also a cold hard underline.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Dudley said:

 

To be fair I don't think I would.  You know what actually happened, the only thing reading it could get you is unhappy about the way something was painted.

 

There's no upside to doing so for me.

 

But maybe I'm also a cold hard underline.

If my OH wrote a book about me, I'd definitely not read it. Quite apart from the fact it would be a very dull book. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Your other half has poured a load of their time and effort into a creative project and you don't get involved or even have a look at the finished thing. That would not be my approach but, well everyone is different.

 

The obvious guess is that he knew he'd not always acted the right way and didn't want reminding of it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Sidewaysbob said:

Watching his cars in the mid 80s is what brought me to F1. Mansell selling piquet the dumy into Stowe, the Williamson dicing those last few laps. Will always by my abiding memory of Sir Frank's cars. 

 

He was an engineers team owner. 

 

RIP Sir Frank

 

1991 at Silverstone, first lap. We are sitting at Stowe, Patrese breaks incredibly late and collides with Berger. Patrese ends up airborne, flying into the fence in front of us, the underside of his car clearly visible. Closest I ever saw a crash, must have been a real heart-stopper for him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, mexos said:

 

Yeah reading about him over the years he really could be a cold, hard _______ at times.

I got the impression from the doc that Frank's hands-off attitude to drivers was a result of being so close to Piers Courage and his dying in a Williams-run car at a young age for both. Colin Chapman supposedly changed in a similar way when Jim Clark died. 

 

I remember reading, in the early 90's, a column in CAR magazine (I think Nigel Roebuck wrote them at the time. There would always be a couple of really disctivie cartoons on each article. Anyway, getting off the point) about how while mclaren looked all sterile and robotic from the outside, there was quite a family / paternal atmos from the team to its drivers, and how WIlliams was the opposite. A family team but quite cold towards the driving talent.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.