IGNORED

Formula One 2021 - DRAMA - #Michael Messy

T Pot

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I don’t know what permutations could lead to equal points, but on the small chance it did, what then? Down to who won the most races?

fight-harry-hill.gif

(Tag team with Horner and Wolff as Max and Lewis' partners)

Spoiler

I bet Horner's a biter

11 minutes ago, Blue said:

I'm starting to think Max's only hope now is to take a new engine at the next race, crank it up to 11, finish 2nd and then he'd have a shot at winning in Abu Dhabi.

He only needs one win and a podium and will likely start either on pole or second place in one of the next two races. Jump Hamilton at the start in one of them and the title is his. 

4 minutes ago, ryodi said:

He only needs one win and a podium and will likely start either on pole or second place in one of the next two races. Jump Hamilton at the start in one of them and the title is his. 

I don't think he has a chance of a pole at either race and even if he did, the Merc with the Brazil engine will be too fast for the RB. Unless there's an incident, Lewis has it in the bag as things stand imo. Toto seems to feel the same way from what I saw of his post race interviews.

I am nervous about going into the last round behind on points. I don’t think Max is the type to do a full on 1990 or 97 but… I also don’t think he will be too shy about more Brazil like ‘hard racing’ if it came to a crunch moment and he has the points advantage. Not for a second do I think Lewis is some angel, but I do see the 2021 version of him being the one more likely to play the percentages in a 50/50 move in the last round. 

Ideally Bottas takes some points off Max in Saudi but right now what are the chances of that? (Zero).

Imaging of Bottas just comes out with it next year and admits to driving a bit shit on purpose just to fuck Merc off because he knew he was getting dumped.

I look at him this year and wonder, are you really this shit? It’s like not trying hard anymore doesn’t explain enough of it. Job 1 today, keep your position at the start and make it a bit tough for Max to get past you for a bit. Oh ok, or do that. It’s so depressingly predictable that it feels like we are getting played.

10 hours ago, JohnC said:

I don’t know what permutations could lead to equal points, but on the small chance it did, what then? Down to who won the most races?

Yes

Then most 2nds and all the way down. 

But in any situation that means equal points Max takes that one, most likely Lewis win/FL next race Max 2nd, double retirement in final race.

Lewis basically needs to win the next two races, I think a single win for Max will be enough for him to clinch the title as both no. 2 drivers seem incapable of taking points off either championship contender. 

Don't think the fastest points matter too much at this stage. Assuming Lewis wins the next race and Max comes second or third then it is simply winner takes all for Abu Dhabi (2nd for Max gives him point lead of 1 point going into final race, third place is point deficit of 2 points with a swing of 7 points for the final race winner or 3 points between 2nd and 3rd place). So another fastest lap point could help Max if, somehow, Lewis wins next time and then they are second and third placed in Abu Dhabi. 

I can see a kamikaze turn 1 lunge for Hamilton if Max is a point ahead in the final race and Lewis looks like his has the pace to win. 

Given both have been judged to have taken the other out in turn 1s this year I'm not sure I'd be pinning that one on Max, especially as he's not the one that idolising Ayrton...

That said yes most actually likely permutations leave the Red Bull very narrowly ahead going into the last round and with the sheer power of Mercedes' "Reliability engine" the car performance swingometer is back in the silver court.

Are Mercedes missing a trick not giving Bottas a new power unit? Probably out of time now but they could really use a 1-2 finish next time to send Hamilton into the final race with a title lead, to protect against any possible race ending coming together with Max. 

2 minutes ago, McCoy said:

Are Mercedes missing a trick not giving Bottas a new power unit? Probably out of time now but they could really use a 1-2 finish next time to send Hamilton into the final race with a title lead, to protect against any possible race ending coming together with Max. 

They only had one NOS power unit lying about.

2 hours ago, Dudley said:

Given both have been judged to have taken the other out in turn 1s this year I'm not sure I'd be pinning that one on Max, especially as he's not the one that idolising Ayrton...

I would, and the FIA should have pinned it to his face at Brazil. Letting that one go almost guarantees he will try similar or worse if it comes down to it.

I'm trying to recall Lewis ever pulling similar, the best I can come up with is perhaps T1 CotA against Rosberg, but even then that was the first corner and he kept his car on the road. Max has been overly aggressive since day one, heck he even got the 'stop cheating flag' waved at the same race. :lol: 

1 hour ago, McCoy said:

That would require Bottas to overtake people.

12 minutes ago, layten said:

I would, and the FIA should have pinned it to his face at Brazil. Letting that one go almost guarantees he will try similar or worse if it comes down to it.

I'm trying to recall Lewis ever pulling similar, the best I can come up with is perhaps T1 CotA against Rosberg, but even then that was the first corner and he kept his car on the road. Max has been overly aggressive since day one, heck he even got the 'stop cheating flag' waved at the same race. :lol: 

It’s been applied more since Austria 19 when Max barged past Leclerc to take the lead and they clarified the rules of engagement. Which they then mysteriously forgot when Leclerc forced Hamilton off track at Monza in the same season.

8 minutes ago, Sidewaysbob said:

My money is still on Max, but the misses is putting a cheeky side bet on with the other bookie, just in case like.

I don't think Lady Luck knows which seat to park her ample charms on right now. 

The bookies do seem to favour Hamilton which I'm a bit surprised at. 

My gut feeling is that Mercedes needs two perfect races for Hamilton to win the title. Red Bull need one perfect race and one good race to win. 

Ergo, I still think Max has the advantage but frankly I think it may well be decided by an unusual event - obviously a engine failure is game over for either driver but frankly simply a slow pit stop may also be enough to tip the scales. 

A straight on track battle with no team mistakes or engine issues I think it is Hamiltons to lose. But I also think Mercedes has a habit of tripping on their own tails more than Red Bull do. This weekend was marginal with Bottas, when the failure happened I'd been questioning for a couple of laps when they'd bring him in and they just waited too long.