IGNORED

Formula One 2021 - DRAMA - #Michael Messy

T Pot

36 minutes ago, Blue said:

Yeah sadly you won't see Vettel either. He'd be great but he told Brundle in an interview that he wouldn't be interested. 

Give him a year or two of twiddling his thumbs... fingers crossed. I can't see him doing regular com duties but I could imagine him doing features here and there, he would be excellent imo.

Ham I doubt we'll see again but who knows. Maybe when he's older and no longer getting invitations to the Met anymore he'll start floating around again like bored Rosberg does. 

20 minutes ago, mexos said:

Give him a year or two of twiddling his thumbs... fingers crossed. I can't see him doing regular com duties but I could imagine him doing features here and there, he would be excellent imo.

Ham I doubt we'll see again but who knows. Maybe when he's older and no longer getting invitations to the Met anymore he'll start floating around again like bored Rosberg does. 

Lewis is absolutely going to try and break into Hollywood or the music industry. 

2 hours ago, McCoy said:

I agree (with the principle, I'm of two minds how much Max burnt out his tyres defending against Hamilton and whether Bottas could have closed the gap anyway). 

I tend to start from the default assumption Bottas can do nothing.

6 hours ago, Dudley said:

This is why penalising after a race is a problem.  Because if Verstappen knew he had 5 seconds, do any of us think he wouldn't have made sure he was 5 seconds ahead of Bottas?

Yeah once they've declared no investigion neccessary it should draw a line under it, it would be very unfair on Max who seemed to be cruising once he lost the lead while Bottas was clearly pushing till the end.

21 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Guanyu Zhou seems to be one of the best upcoming drivers, but I dont watch enough of the lower formulas to know how much advantage can be paid for in what is supposed to be equal machinary, it does seem that most of criticism he gets seems to come from people not liking China.

It's not so much paying for an advantage, although lets not pretend you're not better off at Prema or ART than MP or Trident but it's that he's done that performance in his 3rd year in the series.

As a general rule, anyone worth a damn out of F2 spent at absolutely maximum 2 years there.  This was my point back there about him vs Mazepin really.  Zhou's 2nd in F2 vs Mazepin's best of 5th.

But Mazepin did that in year 2.  In year 2, Zhou was 6th, a place worse.

Lando? 1 year, 2nd.  Mick? Won it in year 2. Lewis and Nico? rookie winners. Even Perez was 2nd in year 2 without the advantage of having done the current F3.

Pastor Maldonado won F2, he'd have looked great if you just watched that year.  Problem is, it was his 4th year.

It's simply a series where experience can count for a heck of a lot for reasons that should probably be obvious.

The extreme example would be Johnny Cecotto.  4 wins in F2, a 5th place in the series.  That was his 5th full season though and he did part seasons in 4(!) more.  No-one  looked twice at him for F1 but if you watched 2014 in isolation where he took noted not as good team Trident to 5th with his teammate barely scoring he'd look pretty promising. 3 of the 4 above him raced in F1.

It's not that he's bad but Piastri will probably win it as a rookie, after winning f3 as a rookie, after winning Formula Renault, as a rookie.  Piastri will probably win 3 titles, including F2 while Zhou's been in F2. There is no question at all who should be in that car.

I don't think anyone is expecting him to set the world on fire and clearly there are far better options but that is how it is sometimes with F1. I can see Sauber being happy with the money and happy enough with a bit slow but not awful performance. 

He's got enough cash to stick around long enough to become a just about good enough, lower midfield driver - like Stroll. 

He could look ok depending on which flavour of Bottas turns up next year. 

I wonder what gains Alpha more points, a more talented driver who, let's say for the sake of the exercise comes in with paltry sponsorship, or Zhou with what Vasseur says is enough moolah to enable them to reach the cost cap that they were previously working well below. So you can have a better driver and less money to develop the car or a lesser driver with the chance to optimise the car's performance throughout the year. Which scenario gains most points?

Depends if the gain they would make in the prize money from the constructors championship / different sponsors would make up for the amount of money Zhao is bringing in. They also don't have to wait, it's an instant cash injection that can be put towards the development of the 2022 car during the season. 

The hotel section still looks rubbish but the other improvements make it a more exciting track to watch from the onboard than the old layout. 

One thing that Zhou was very good at in F2 that is perhaps more relevant than his results in F2 was tyre management. He could run super long and still have leading pace. It’s a long shot, but that could see him come good unless, as @Dudley was saying above it’s the experience that allowed him to do that.  Artem Markakov is another good example of that. Realistically a midfield F2 driver at best but, he was almost king of the reverse strategy due to his expertise in F2, so good with tyres and so many great performances due to it, then they changed to a different size of tyres and he was nowhere.

I think there could be exceptions to the many seasons rule though. Schwartzman is in danger of being over looked having lost to Mick and now Piastri (who is better than him) taking the reins. I’d put both in the car before Zhou, I expect he’ll be heading into his third F2 season next year.

3 hours ago, Blue said:

I wonder what gains Alpha more points, a more talented driver who, let's say for the sake of the exercise comes in with paltry sponsorship, or Zhou with what Vasseur says is enough moolah to enable them to reach the cost cap that they were previously working well below. So you can have a better driver and less money to develop the car or a lesser driver with the chance to optimise the car's performance throughout the year. Which scenario gains most points?

Interesting. In the case of Sauber specifically I'd be inclined to say the quick guy because their points will, by and large come from the bizarre results. There's no point in Haas having a car 3 tenths quicker a lap this year, they'd still be on 0.

But if we'd had a batshit race like Germany 2019 where Kubica grabbed a point in the worst ever Williams then that slightly quicker driver might make the difference.

But you can go either way, and with a Bottas in one car maybe you're best giving him the best chance against the immediate opposition you can and not much caring if they're welded to the back otherwise. Didn't work for Williams last year, Russell being generally right up with the Haas gained them fuck all but this year he made the difference in 4 races and despite them generally being behind Alfa they're gonna stomp them in the title race.

Are there any more obvious examples in F1 of ‘that should have been my career’ than Alonso looking at what Hamilton’s achieved. Although getting yourself black listed by two engine manufacturers is one Alonso achievement Hamilton is never going to match.

40 minutes ago, ryodi said:

Are there any more obvious examples in F1 of ‘that should have been my career’ than Alonso looking at what Hamilton’s achieved. Although getting yourself black listed by two engine manufacturers is one Alonso achievement Hamilton is never going to match.

For me it will always be Jean Alesi that should have been F1 champion. After that amazing season at Tyrell, he was nearly a Williams driver in 1991 - but they got Senna.

Alonso is still so damn good still today. Imagine if he wasn't such a tit behind the scenes. 

Even if he repeated the mistake of not going to RB, everyone would still want his shit. Maybe Merc goes for him instead of Ham.

It's 2021 and Fernando is on the cusp of winning his 9th title....

1 hour ago, merman said:

For me it will always be Jean Alesi that should have been F1 champion. After that amazing season at Tyrell, he was nearly a Williams driver in 1991 - but they got Senna.

Shouldn't that be Mansell?

7 hours ago, merman said:

As RFT says you mean Mansell (Although they were open about trying to woo Senna) but it's worse, Alesi turned them down to go to Ferrari.  Can't blame an Italian (which Alesi is by ancestry) for that one, especially as the teams were fairly even in 1990.

Ferrari before JT and Ross were lovable (especially with JA at the wheel) and utterly useless. I wasn't a fan but you'd cheer them on if they got a sniff, since you knew they'd probably retire or fuck it up anyway. I see Binotto is doing his best to take them back to those good old days with likeable drivers, rubbish cars and terrible strategy. Once I've forgotten the way they treated Seb maybe I can like them again. ^_^