Jump to content
IGNORED

Formula One 2021 - DRAMA - #Michael Messy


T Pot
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, mexos said:


Using some tracking software like Mocha you point it to a part of the frame you want to track and it analyses the footage to find where that object is in every frame.


Then you can stabilise the footage - essentially move each frame of footage so that point you selected is pretty much always in the centre of the screen.


Much obliged. Sounds pretty point and click. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The performance of Lewis’ new engine in Brazil is as suspicious as when Ferrari turned up after the summer break in 2019 and suddenly had the fastest car on the grid by a huge margin 🤣

 

I wonder if Red Bull will consider copying Mercedes and dropping in a “new” engine in Max’s car for the upcoming weekend as well…?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The problem Red Bull have with that plan is you can pass in Brazil, very easily. 2 massively effective DRS sections where you can breeze past like it ain't no thing.

 

We don't know Losail but other than the main straight it's very stop start for cars, it's literally a bike circuit.  Jeddah looks tighter than passing a camel through the eye of a needle or a journalist through an industrial mincing machine and we all know Yas Marina.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, MrPogo said:

Could have even actually been fine throughout qualifying and the test itself was the straw that broke the camels back and caused it to open too wide for the first time.

 

9 hours ago, Dudley said:

Theoretically possible but you'd think it'd happen a lot more if so.

 

Is it though?

 

A rear wing can contribute something between 800kg and a ton of downforce, yet we are suggesting that someone pushing a 80mm plastic / rubber ball through it with 10 newtons makes it flex wider?  Seems to me they just played the tolerances too close, probably not a surprise with all the flexi wing play.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Corranga said:

 

 

Is it though?

 

A rear wing can contribute something between 800kg and a ton of downforce, yet we are suggesting that someone pushing a 80mm plastic / rubber ball through it with 10 newtons makes it flex wider?  Seems to me they just played the tolerances too close, probably not a surprise with all the flexi wing play.

 

Depends on the direction of the force, an element can be strong enough to deal with 800kg in direction and weak enough to flex with less than that in the other direction - tha t's literally how all the teams design their wings to flex but pass the tests. It's unfortunate for Merc but this just seems like one of those things.

 

As dudley says, is there's a tolerance area that might make the car faster, that's what you design to (and the sport is full of examples of that, like Ferrari's bargeboards in the distant past, or Double Diffusers (which relied on a tolerance zone to make work).

 

The downside is, if you design up to the tolerance, then there's nothing left to save you if something gets loose. This looks like what happened to Mercedes, but once it happens, it's a slam-dunk.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Dudley said:

 

How do you know it was fine at the start? 

 

 

Then the leeway becomes the limit. Any F1 team will design to where they get penalised, not to where the rules say.  

 

That's a fair point re was it fine at the start? Is the post scrutinising session after Quali the first time the cars are inspected in a race weekend? 

 

I'm not saying the leeway shouldn't be punished, just to have something in-between no punishment and disqualification and escalating penalties for repeat offenders. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, McCoy said:

 

That's a fair point re was it fine at the start? Is the post scrutinising session after Quali the first time the cars are inspected in a race weekend? 

 

I'm not saying the leeway shouldn't be punished, just to have something in-between no punishment and disqualification and escalating penalties for repeat offenders. 

 

The issue I’m seeing mentioned now is that the stewards said they accepted it was a fault and not an inherent deliberate design and said if Mercedes could explain the fault then it would be legal - they just didnt let Mercedes have the wing back to x-ray/examine…..

 

That stinks of an agenda to punish

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Dudley said:

and we all know Yas Marina.

 

Not this year! Two big changes that get rid of some of the worst corners in the entire season (IMO). Getting rid of the chicane down before the back straight gives the option of a late brake dive down the inside. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

they just didnt let Mercedes have the wing back to x-ray/examine…..

 

That stinks of an agenda to punish

 

Wasn't that due to redbull asking it to be looked into regarding the flexing (rather than the slotgap)? I think they will likely bring an official complaint about it soon enough. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, T Pot said:

 

Wasn't that due to redbull asking it to be looked into regarding the flexing (rather than the slotgap)? I think they will likely bring an official complaint about it soon enough. 

 

Nah, that’s a separate issue that Redbull didnt officially complain about - depending on your camp they are keeping that in their pocket / dont have a case / would shine a light on their own chesty wings.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, RFT said:

 

Depends on the direction of the force, an element can be strong enough to deal with 800kg in direction and weak enough to flex with less than that in the other direction - tha t's literally how all the teams design their wings to flex but pass the tests. It's unfortunate for Merc but this just seems like one of those things.

 

 

Yep, F1 suspension can take that 2 tonnes of downforce all day.

 

But if you were to give it a swift kick on the side you can snap it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well that's what happens if you don't turn the wheel as the corner tightens.

 

He is smart mind, he never opens out the steering wheel or turns towards Lewis. Just keep it nicely where the car will naturally wash out and only adds angle when the job is done. Impressed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah I am surprised they are bothering. I can't see anything coming from this other than wasting their time and focus when there are more pressing things to get on with.

 

Unless they are doing this just to rile up RB. Which is a possibility.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • T Pot changed the title to Formula One 2021 - DRAMA - #Michael Messy

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.