IGNORED

Formula One 2021 - DRAMA - #Michael Messy

T Pot

28 minutes ago, Meers said:

Whatever anyone thinks of Max and/or Lewis...their rivalry is incredibly positive for the sport.

Max' current lead in the WDC has summoned Super Lewis (and I think he absolutely loves all the rivalry), and together with the new Merc ICE he will pose an ever bigger threat for Max' than he already was.

Yeah, and the only reason I'd rather see Max win is pretty much the same as you, sheer boredom, if they'd been 3-3 the last 6 years I'd just wanna see the battle.

I think, accident or act of god aside the end of the championship is still going to be closer than it is right now. 

39 minutes ago, Meers said:

That's very plausible indeed.

For a team like Mercedes, yeah I could see them doing this.

RB better hope that is not the case and that a big old chunk of performance came from Merc rinsing their new motor. (More plausible imo)

I imagine Master Troll, Newey and a group of engineers stood around a huge board like this right now while Marko barks at them for not figuring out Mercedes "secret".

968dbde19e9002689c41496ebaebc4aa.png 

37 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

I wonder if any upgrades being held back for next year got moved forward once Merc realised it wasn't going to go their way .

Next year's a totally different car to a new set of rules, I don;t think anything designed for the 22 car would fit on the 21 (or even be legal).

Someone (here, maybe, or on twitter) pondered if, given the speed given by a new ICE, it might be worth merc just throwing a new V6 in the back every weekend for the rest of the year and just making the places back.

9 minutes ago, Meers said:

AN AUTOCAR SOURCE SAYS AUDI HAS BOUGHT THE ENTIRE MCLAREN GROUP WITH PLANS TO ENTER ITS OWN TEAM IN FORMULA 1.

Also, your grammar check seems to be set to Dutch.

:hat:

I'm old, volume does not increase understanding! 

35 minutes ago, layten said:

karl-pilkington-bullshit.gif.5ba76278e3449868573e289e69d0a252.gif

Pushed later on why he felt this incident was different to when Lewis Hamilton washed out from the apex at Copse during their crash at the British Grand Prix, Verstappen replied: “I don’t think it’s the same, so I don’t know what he is referring to.

“It’s a completely different corner as well. So yeah, there’s not much more to comment, it’s not the same.”

karl-pilkington-bullshit.gif.5ba76278e3449868573e289e69d0a252.gif

Do Audi have an engine sitting on a shelf somewhere? I doubt it. 

Merc would need to be happy to let them do it I assume? Mclaren pretty much run it unbadged anyway so maybe it's not a massive deal. Sell the engine rights so it runs as a Mclaren Dark Trace or something.

Not good news for the current drivers imo. More upheaval and many years of baby steps development. Great news for whoever eventually replaces Ric and possibly Lando mind.

17 minutes ago, mexos said:

Do Audi have an engine sitting on a shelf somewhere? I doubt it. 

Merc would need to be happy to let them do it I assume? Mclaren pretty much run it unbadged anyway so maybe it's not a massive deal. Sell the engine rights so it runs as a Mclaren Dark Trace or something.

Not good news for the current drivers imo. More upheaval and many years of baby steps development. Great news for whoever eventually replaces Ric and possibly Lando mind.

Given the sheer size of the VW group I'm assuming there has to be a team somewhere working on an engine that could form the basis of an F1 engine. Get the group who developed those engines that dominated LeMans back together. 

A sleek looking Mclaren sitting on pole before setting off with a massive bang and a cloud of blue smoke pouring out the back of it like a misfiring Massey Ferguson? It'll be great. 

Nevermind

https://www.mclaren.com/racing/inside-the-mtc/mclaren-group-statement-sale/

McLaren Group is aware of a news media report stating it has been sold to Audi. This is wholly inaccurate and McLaren is seeking to have the story removed.

McLaren’s technology strategy has always involved ongoing discussions and collaboration with relevant partners and suppliers, including other carmakers, however, there has been no change in the ownership structure of the McLaren Group.

Saw the McLaren retraction before the main story, but, surely if they were bought out it’d be reported as VAG rather than Audi in the first place?

I mean, Audi is a good fit, F1 cars don’t have indicators in the first place and the McLaren is like the S-Line version of the Merc…

18 hours ago, sprite said:

Lol at Max talking about damage limitation. You had enough thrown into your favour surely!

And Lewis didn’t get any help from the virtual/safety car periods?

Yes, it was an outstanding drive from Lewis. Yes, he deserved to take the lead for a great pass on Max. But he had a lot of luck there.

Audi, are not going to be buying anyone in the near future. The time to buy a team was 2 years ago when they were cheap. Now they are worth billions. 

Now CVC have gone the money the teams make and the cost caps mean they actually make money, even Williams and Hass. 

Now, The VAG might enter into a branding exercise in the future, but no one, not even Hass, is going to be sold off to anyone right now. It doesn't make any financial sense. 

Paul Andretti took one look at the cost of buying Sauber and quickly scarpered. Its too expensive now for a manufacturer to buy a team. 

It would make more sense to build a team from scratch.. 

oh no wait, any new team has to pay all the other team 2 million Dollars to join the club, because they would be diluting the earning pool or some such bullshit. 

The cost cap has fucked up any plans for team changes for a good few years to come. the only peole that can afford this are investment companies and the like of daddy Stroll and Mazaspin with extremely creative accounting. 

52 minutes ago, Meers said:

SplendidFrailCormorant-size_restricted.gif

It's not the same because Max didn't launch Lewis into the barriers. 🤷🏼‍♂️

because Hamilton moved to avoid an accident, which I think Max could have done at Silverstone and still have won the race.

I'd like to see Hamilton win this year, get the 8th WDC then retire.

23 minutes ago, merman said:

And Lewis didn’t get any help from the virtual/safety car periods? Both Sergio and Max had bigger gaps at the end of each VSC than at the start.

Yes, it was an outstanding drive from Lewis. Yes, he deserved to take the lead for a great pass on Max. But he had a lot of luck there.

Playing Devil's advocate here, he actually lost out on both VSC periods. 

While the SC period did let him catchup 3 seconds to Perez, he would have done that in a couple of laps anyway an the SC period actually cost him 3 laps of not being allowed to overtake plus an additional 2 laps without DRS. So I would argue all 3 Safety Car periods (virtual or otherwise) negatively impacted Hamilton's race.

1 hour ago, mexos said:

We've seen renders before but this is from the game update:

Not a huge amount of time spent off 100% throttle there. 

That is an awful circuit, at best two overtaking opportunities at the start and end of the lap. Qualifying will be crucial and whoever is leading after lap one should win the race comfortably because it looks impossible to overtake. 

27 minutes ago, LowCostMonkey said:

Playing Devil's advocate here, he actually lost out on both VSC periods. 

While the SC period did let him catchup 3 seconds to Perez, he would have done that in a couple of laps anyway an the SC period actually cost him 3 laps of not being allowed to overtake plus an additional 2 laps without DRS. So I would argue all 3 Safety Car periods (virtual or otherwise) negatively impacted Hamilton's race.

Yep, although if the sprint race hadn't happened that SC would have been the lifesaver that helped him win the race because in the sprint race he was 20 seconds behind almost immediately and this would have bunched them up with him on the edge of the top 10.