IGNORED

Formula One 2021 - DRAMA - #Michael Messy

T Pot

Update from Lewis although my main takeaway is who managed to lock up during a safety car behind him in the photo. As for why Max didn't check on him I'm guessing because he'd have shown the same level of concern Russell did for Bottas when they crashed. 

1 hour ago, ryodi said:

The Sprint isn’t going anywhere is it.. They may as well do a grid draw by pulling numbers out of a hat if that’s what they’re looking for.

It's been proper shite and if they stick with it I'll probably give it a miss.

Incidentally, I know he was very happy and his usual excited self after the race, but you’ve got to think deep down Lando has to be a little bit pissed off this evening. He’s smashed Danny Ric all season and the only time he doesn’t is the only time a win is on the table.

Really pleased for Danny Ric, mind. He’s had a tough year so hopefully this is the sign that he’s getting to grips with the car properly.

32 minutes ago, ryodi said:
As for why Max didn't check on him I'm guessing because he'd have shown the same level of concern Russell did for Bottas when they crashed. 

Also the fact that Max likely could have no idea that his car bounced off Hamiltons head. When the cars came to a stop Max's was halfway down the nose of the Merc.

Max is very much like Schumacher imo, extremely talented (and likely to be as successful) but the red mist can descend very very easily.

Anyway, delighted for both McLarens (Lando will be dissapointed he didn't win but it was also his best ever result)

2 hours ago, myoozikk said:

I wonder when max will get his reality check, he still just strikes me as an overly entitled kid empowered by a bad combo of Horner & Marko. I’m genuinely worried about both his safety & the safety of other drivers. Will it take a tragedy for him to realise every overtake isn't literally do or die?

I get I’m biased & Lewis is a very hard racer but looking back over the season bar Silverstone Lewis will be the one to back out, never feels like it’s the other way & look at where we are now. Without the halo today could’ve been an absolute tragedy, & the worst bit is even if that was the case I get zero sense that would change anything for Max.

No this is massive pearl clutching hysterity that can be easily countered by just saying "Silverstone".  Leaving the nose in as you send it on a 180mph corner is much more deserving of this post than an unlucky outcome of an awkward side by side encounter in a 50mph chicane.

Both were racing, but Silverstone was a lot more "someone could get hurt".

You can't say "Looking at the season bar Silverstone" just because it's the inconvenient incident that invalidates your post entirely. They're both racers, if Hamilton is that spooked by Lewis (and Silverstone and Monza both demonstrate he isn't even if you are) then it's a sign he's on the way out.  He's not, he just miscalculated and I doubt he'll make that mistake again.

I’d love to know how many times Lewis had yielded to Max pre silverstone because I seem to remember a lot. You could see that incident brewing in races beforehand. Your only racing technique can’t just be expecting your opposition to move or crash as Max’s seem to be.

1 minute ago, myoozikk said:

I’d love to know how many times Lewis had yielded to Max pre silverstone because I seem to remember a lot. You could see that incident brewing in races beforehand. Your only racing technique can’t just be expecting your opposition to move or crash as Max’s seem to be.

Anyone remember a single incident of max pulling out of a sketchy overtake as Lewis did at turn four today?

28 minutes ago, Dudley said:

No this is massive pearl clutching hysterity that can be easily countered by just saying "Silverstone".  Leaving the nose in as you send it on a 180mph corner is much more deserving of this post than an unlucky outcome of an awkward side by side encounter in a 50mph chicane.

Both were racing, but Silverstone was a lot more "someone could get hurt".

You can't say "Looking at the season bar Silverstone" just because it's the inconvenient incident that invalidates your post entirely. They're both racers, if Hamilton is that spooked by Lewis (and Silverstone and Monza both demonstrate he isn't even if you are) then it's a sign he's on the way out.  He's not, he just miscalculated and I doubt he'll make that mistake again.

The orange kerb Max launched off has been there forever so he knew it was there which means it was also a ‘someone could get hurt’ incident like Silverstone, landing on top of another car is just as dangerous as the oft repeated 51g impact.  Max never backs down and expects the other driver to do so as Lewis has done in the past and did on the first lap of the race today. Personally I thought both were racing incidents with two drivers not backing down but if Silverstone was a penalty so stewards were always going to give one here.

Overshadowed by the crash but is this the first time Max has lost places at the start this season, it feels like a long time since it last happened.

I know I shouldnt read the comments but Hamilton trying to reverse out has (in some quarters) been turned into an attempt on Verstappens life :lol:

Also, what the fuck was Verstappen doing walking out onto the circuit anyway? Probably expected everyone to avoid him rather than take the sensible option

3 hours ago, Corranga said:

while Max at racing speed still slowed enough for the corner.

He literally didn't as he ended up causing a crash that without the Halo could have killed a driver.

3 hours ago, Corranga said:

Same penalty outcome as Silverstone, but, for me anyway, much less clear cut.

1126427455_pretendstobeshocked.gif.f18b0359d6d5fde4d53c02dd47150802.gif

while Max at racing speed still slowed enough for the corner.

55 minutes ago, layten said:

He literally didn't as he ended up causing a crash that without the Halo could have killed a driver.

Why do you insist on quoting half of what people say and reacting to it?!

I was clearly talking about the FIA decision which is lead by Max being  too far back coming into turn 1. Max also clearly made turn 1, as I said,  if he didn’t, he’d have been over the escape road or kerbs and not in a position to have contact with Lewis in the first place.

Playing devils advocate with the potential death of a driver is all very dramatic, but the halo does exist and’s we’re all thankful for it as it’s just saved someone’s life.

The outcome however is irrelevant to the incident, Max didn’t know his car would be touching Hamilton’s helmet just as Hamilton didn’t know Max would hit at whatever crazy g number it was at Silverstone. They both came out ok (well hopefully we get word that Lewis’s neck is fine soon enough) and  we’ll see them at it again next time, when I hope we don’t have to have these debates, because I hope they actually manage to keep it on the track and avoid contact.

Max didn't slow enough which is why he was hallway off the track and heading straight into the sausage curve. At that point he could have done what Lewis did earlier and go over the smaller curbs, or he could hit the brakes. He decided to keep his foot in and we got a nasty crash that thankfully both drivers walked away from.

That Horner was giving it full 'racing incident' tells you all you need to know about who was at fault.

13 hours ago, McCoy said:

Difference is that Lewis had been told Max had walked away from the incident whilst Max wandered off literally whilst Lewis was trapped in the car? 

He wasn't trapped in the car. He was trying to reverse out. When max gets out of his car and starts to walk away you see him look over at Lewis while Lewis is trying to reverse back onto the track. 

As Max said in an interview later "He was trying to reverse out. If you're not okay, you don't do that".

I think the penalty is fair enough. Similar to the Silverstone incident I'd say it's almost a racing incident, with a 60-40% split in blame towards Max rather than Lewis. These things can easily happen when both drivers are racing hyper aggressively against each other.