IGNORED

Formula One 2021 - DRAMA - #Michael Messy

T Pot

9 minutes ago, Sidewaysbob said:

Do you think anyone will do a Lauda and come in and say "my life is worth more than a few points" 

I could imagine Seb doing that these days. He’s definitely morphed into the role of the sport’s elder statesman of late.

2 minutes ago, GwiDan said:

I don’t know why there was any question about him being allowed to start from the pit lane, it happens all the time! Presumably he’d be a lap down though?

I missed it, was the car towed back?

Technically, they've done a lap, is he 1 down, or does he simply have the benefit of an extra lap of (pace car speed) fuel in his car?

1 minute ago, Corranga said:

I missed it, was the car towed back?

Technically, they've done a lap, is he 1 down, or does he simply have the benefit of an extra lap of (pace car speed) fuel in his car?

He would have been towed back, but the session hadn’t started yet. 

16 minutes ago, GwiDan said:

I don’t know why there was any question about him being allowed to start from the pit lane, it happens all the time! Presumably he’d be a lap down though?

Brundle said he messaged Massey, who replied that Perez would not be allowed to start if they got the car fixed in time, so it seems confusion reigns.

9 minutes ago, GwiDan said:

He would have been towed back, but the session hadn’t started yet. 

I'm only playing devils advocate here, I think he should be allowed to start, but you can imagine that others (Mercedes) would be arguing that the fuel saved by being towed back and saving the additional formation lap is an unfair advantage.

Surprised the clock starts prior to the red lights going out seems to make no sense.  Also surprised the clock started on the hour and not 25 past the hour when they actually did the first lap, that wasn't the first lap :S

Not so surprised to hear Toto not keen for 2 laps / half points given the grid.

1 minute ago, Corranga said:

I'm only playing devils advocate here, I think he should be allowed to start, but you can imagine that others (Mercedes) would be arguing that the fuel saved by being towed back and saving the additional formation lap is an unfair advantage.

More fuel would be a disadvantage, Shirley, in this particular situation where there is no possibility of doing full race distance.

This is a bit of a farce. Due to a three-hour timer that for some reason began at the time the race didn’t start and not when it ‘technically’ did, we could end up with a scenario where the weather improves, the cars go out and we get a 20-minute Grand Prix despite their being many hours of daylight left and thousands of paying fans in attendance.

Just now, Blue said:

More fuel would be a disadvantage, Shirley, in this particular situation where there is no possibility of doing full race distance.

Well, if you look at it sensibly, yes.  I'm not sure when they set the fuel level for the race post qualifying / with parc ferme etc. I'd imagine the cars probably go in a bit fuel heavy for a wet race regardless.

Still, if you're Merc, you're taking any advantage you can.

3 minutes ago, kiroquai said:

This is a bit of a farce. Due to a three-hour timer that for some reason began at the time the race didn’t start and not when it ‘technically’ did, we could end up with a scenario where the weather improves, the cars go out and we get a 20-minute Grand Prix despite their being many hours of daylight left and thousands of paying fans in attendance.

100%  Clock shouldn't start until the race actually begins.  Typical FIA stuff, no one seems to have a clue what's going on, even when we hear FIA radio, it's all we believe so / that is our interpretation.  If they don't know, who does!?