IGNORED

Formula One 2021 - DRAMA - #Michael Messy

T Pot

It's going to take something extraordinary for JPM to win this weekend. He's in LMP2 and not one of the favorites in the that class. But you never know with Le Mans. His team mate sticking it in the wall at the end of practice last night won't have helped the though. 

On 18/08/2021 at 12:25, SMD said:

Sadly confirmed

https://www.racefans.net/2021/08/18/formula-e-champions-mercedes-to-leave-after-next-season/

shame, really, am interested in seeing how FE develops over the next decade or so and the more manufacturers the better

One thing to watch here, Mercedes also supply Venturi, run by totally independent human Suzanne Wolff.  So they're going to need something else to stay in the series too.

Which brings me to the 2nd bit, FE has similar rules to F1 in that any manufacturer in the series is obligied to supply their fair share of customer teams.  Right now that's on Venturi and Envision Virgin, who use Audi. Who just pulled out.  If they like they can keep those Audis since there's no development between these 2 seasons with Gen 3 on the horizon but they too will need a solution for 2023.

Combine this with Andretti needing the same since they're using their grandfathered BMWs next year and Dragon from 2021 not having yet lodged an entry for 2022 and you actually only have 12 cars for 2023 as it stands...

On 18/08/2021 at 13:33, wev said:

Except it's not a spec series. Their electric motors, for instance, are developed by the manufacturers. 

Which is the only bit you want to be of course.  What do manufacturers gain from developing chassis here?  The point of the series is electric car development and also efficiency, you've got a maximum allowed power (currently 350kw, up from 190kw in season 1).

They've been very smart, as mentioned the first season was spec (Actually using a motor from McLaren) then htey unlocked the powertrain and they've actually locked down a few fairly pointless things since.

20 hours ago, Blue said:

I genuinely feel that I could drive in this race and do as well as anyone else. 

LOL no. You'd have a panic attack the second you pressed the accelerator.

I've driven Formula cars and I'd be 10 seconds off the back of that field.  Quite apart from the fact you've really underestimated how quick these things are, the "worst" fulltime driver in the series is a former champion of Formula Renault UK and a former 2nd in F3 Europe, a series Max Verstappen finished 3rd in.

3 hours ago, Blue said:

Quite possibly, but they look slow AF. What is their top speed?

0-60 in under 3 seconds and on to 170+

They weigh shit all and they're 470hp of electric full torque at all revs.

Oh and the 2nd "worst" driver in the field this year? LeMans winner.

Basically you're doing the motor racing equivilent of looking at the Premier League, then the championship and "Genuinely thinking" any of us could get in QPR's starting line up.

40 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Basically you're doing the motor racing equivilent of looking at the Premier League, then the championship and "Genuinely thinking" any of us could get in QPR's starting line up.

Nah, I can't play football, but I could have competed at that London E-Prix. Doesn't matter how good the drivers in it are, if you're pootling around stupid hairbend courses at modest speed.

Compete may have been the wrong word. ;) I just mean I wouldn't be afraid to drive one of those cars, on that London circuit, whereas I'd never imagine being able to get an F1 car around a lap of anywhere. 

I read that Gen 3 will bring power somewhere between an F3 and F2 car. 

It’s just not enough (yet) to produce something visually impressive. I’ve seen plenty of F3 / F2 on the TV and in person and… well if I’d not seen F1 I might be impressed. But I have so the bar is set.

We know huge grade 1 circuits make the cars look even slower. City circuits - yes they can help in many ways, but they also introduced another issue I always had with FE. The cars look flimsy and rickety bouncing around on rubbish surfaces not designed for racing cars which in turn makes them look even less impressive.

At least an F2 car looks like a racing car when you see it as a support race on a large track - fast ish and smooth like a Formula car should be.

The styling also doesn’t help. They fell into the trap a lot of auto manufacturers did making their EV cars look funky to distinguish them as EVs. Instead of looking special they looked crap. Now EVs are far more styled just like regular cars. FE should move more in the same direction IMO and make the cars look more like Formula cars.

In 5 years time my guess would be the cars have F2 beating power and we get something far more interesting. If it’s still around that is.

I repeat the first line of my first response, you'd be in a puddle of your own urine before turn 3.  That's not remotely what you said of course.

image.thumb.png.fa5171aca9921390d80895c6c8dbe92c.png

I didn't say you could play football, although you said any of us could compete in F E without knowing if we could drive, I said you're exactly as delusional here as that person, and you are.  Their average speed is 65mph round that circuit. Average. They're doing twice that at times. With 20 others round them. And concrete walls.  and changing surfaces.  And it was damp most of the time.

I feel like I'm being mean here but you're being hilarious "bloke down the pub" here I'm afraid and I didn't even think those existed in real life.

I know exactly how fast I am because on occasion I've got to share a track with drivers you've heard of.  I could probably just about hold onto the arse end of a BTCC grid with some testing.  I would be absolutely nowhere in F E.

5 minutes ago, mexos said:

The styling also doesn’t help. They fell into the trap a lot of auto manufacturers did making their EV cars look funky to distinguish them as EVs. Instead of looking special they looked crap. Now EVs are far more styled just like regular cars. FE should move more in the same direction IMO and make the cars look more like Formula cars.

It's not quite so much that as Formula E is deliberately non-aero so they can follow each other.  Making them look like all formula cars would need them to solve that.  The Gen 1.5s were deliberately wacky, not so much these.

10 hours ago, Blue said:

Nah, I can't play football, but I could have competed at that London E-Prix.

Come join us in the GT thread. Competitive but friendly racing every Monday night. Plus bonus F1 insight from our insiders!

Let’s see what you got! :eyebrows:

12 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Their average speed is 65mph round that circuit. Average. They're doing twice that at times. With 20 others round them. And concrete walls.  and changing surfaces.  And it was damp most of the time.

Sounds straight forward enough, I'd give it a go. 🙂

Then the same idiots will make fun of them being slower round the circuit than FIA F3 which, thanks to lack of aero, they would be.

They'd also need much shorter races due to the massively increased power consumption.

They upgraded to the full Monaco circuit this season which was absolutely perfect for them and the best race held at Monaco in about half a century.