IGNORED

Formula One 2021 - DRAMA - #Michael Messy

T Pot

3 hours ago, gospvg said:

Murray RIP and Brundle were great. A three team set-up is probably ideal. A chatterbox, Brundle and ex recent driver like Nico.

Yeah the key there is that was the 4 years after Brundle retired.

I don't get what Brundle adds to that threesome these days tbh.

34 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Yeah the key there is that was the 4 years after Brundle retired.

I don't get what Brundle adds to that threesome these days tbh.

That's not an image I wanted in my head thank you very much

Catching up on race highlights this season and enjoying Kimi radio discussions 😂 So glad he is still racing.

So the FIA give the base car design for 2022? That is something new to me. Can teams make any modifications or is it just a who has the best engine fight?

I think the car was built to show the press what the rules will make the cars look like. Without checking I assumed that someone like dallara had made the car for the FIA. The teams will make them look different.

It's not a spec chassis as far as I know. The one they showed is just an example and the teams will build their own cars..

I think sooner than that. The whole jazz the thing up, fan boast, short easy to follow races, cars not being lapped, crash bang wallop. It's what the rights holders think the social media generation want to see.  I think F1 will be full EV within 20 years, maybe 10.

FE is a startup thats being used as a testbed for future electric F1. Always has been imo.

It is still in its infancy but if you don't do FE you don't overcome some of the huge problems you'll encounter trying to go straight from zero to 1000 hp or so racing cars that need to do 2 hour races.

It's a progression, make the cars faster, batteries able to last longer. As the FE car gets faster, it will start to get larger. As they progress through to Gen 5/6/7 cars, which eventually would get it close in speed to an F1 car and can last for over an hour or so of hard racing they will also gradually drift away moving away from mickey mouse circuits to real circuits. From that point on I'd say fully electric F1 is a couple of years off, tops.

Bio fuels are the immediate future, that will keep F1 going in the meantime till the transition happens. By 2030 at the latest I'd expect it to be a done deal. @ryodi is absolutely right, when the time comes F1 just lays down a wad of cash and FE just becomes another dead series while electric F1 takes over.

Yeah, that's what i mean, FE is testing out stuff that will appear in F1 eventually. I think the manufactures will be the driver for full F1 FE. If they leave on mass for the EV series F1 will have to follow.  As soon as they get a car to run at full chat for 2 hours, that'll be it.   

I think IC F1 will be the preserve on the historics sooner than you think. 

The cars look crap, the circuits are crap (did anyone watch Docklands 👀), it's not entertaining. The FE product is not a good one for fans right now imo.

With all the progression mentioned above, eventually it will be. And then big daddy F1 will come in, kill it and take over.

26 minutes ago, layten said:

The FE thread here has had 2 posts in the last 12 months. There must be a reason it gets so little attention. Other motorsport series get a lot more traffic on this forum.

There's a bit of chat in the general motorsport thread about it to be fair.

20 minutes ago, mexos said:

The cars look crap, the circuits are crap (did anyone watch Docklands 👀), it's not entertaining. The FE product is not a good one for fans right now imo.

With all the progression mentioned above, eventually it will be. And then big daddy F1 will come in, kill it and take over.

Realise I'm in the minority, but I've really enjoyed this FE season! It's delivered in having both giant clusterfucks (Valencia, London) and genuinely exciting/interesting more traditional races as well (Monaco). Yeah it's not perfect, the qualifying format generates a bit of a false sense of balancing the field, and obviously fan boost is ridiculous. But it's the first season I've properly followed and I've found it really entertaining. Would 100% recommend watching Monaco without spoilers if anyone's not seen it even if you have 0 interest in FE.

Pumped for the finale this weekend :)

15 hours ago, gospvg said:

Wow impressed by Vettel, When he retires Sky need him in their commentary team.

Oh how I would love Seb to be a part of the Sky team. I'd prefer him to be used like Ant for sky pad stuff and features / the post race than commentary.

Nico could easily do commentary + his post race. Time to boot out PDR, Johnny and maybe even Damon from the punditry team. But keep Damon for the podcasts which are great. 

Imagine Seb and Ted doing features together. :wub: It would be epic. I do worry though that once he is done you won't see or hear from him again. He'll just go home and that will be it.

50 minutes ago, layten said:

The FE thread here has had 2 posts in the last 12 months. There must be a reason it gets so little attention. Other motorsport series get a lot more traffic on this forum.

Too right. Electric is dull. I don't care how fast you can eventually make them or how long they can run for, it will never be exciting. Hopefully biofuels and hydrogen will save us for many years before we have to face the nightmare of electric F1. 

2 hours ago, SweatyTravolta said:

God forbid it should be good. 

Sorry I've not watched an FE race I just like the variance in different cars/engines/drivers in F1 that mix the pot before a new season. FE with a standard car for everyone then just comes down to only driver skill.

7 minutes ago, mexos said:

The cars look crap, the circuits are crap (did anyone watch Docklands 👀) it's not entertaining. The FE product is not a good one for fans right now imo.

This is the issue - FE is trying to both be a technicalally-led series (harsh energy limits driving teams to improve their regen tech and overall efficiency, even at the cost of entertaining racing) and also a high fan-engagement, entertaining series (fanboost, the power boost lane that's a bit mario kart).

It can be quite entertaining, and while it started out as totally spec, each team now runs thier own power units, sdo there is techinical development going on.

4 minutes ago, RFT said:

This is the issue - FE is trying to both be a technicalally-led series (harsh energy limits driving teams to improve their regen tech and overall efficiency, even at the cost of entertaining racing) and also a high fan-engagement, entertaining series (fanboost, the power boost lane that's a bit mario kart).

It can be quite entertaining, and while it started out as totally spec, each team now runs thier own power units, sdo there is techinical development going on.

I was interested about the power units bit but the 'power boost lane' WTF?

I'm curious now so going to watch some videos on youtube.

lmao literally none of you watched the FE race at Monaco did you? first time in fucking ages I enjoyed the actual grand prix, plus it had so much overtaking there were still moves for position on the final lap including the podium places.

FE at the Excel was fun, it's ridiculous and absurd but they lean into it. I'm looking forward to the cars being able to race properly on circuits but it's still a proper way off that. All of the assumptions that F1 will take over FE are based on the history, whereas I'd probably be more concerned that a variety of manufacturers are seeing FE as far more viable to enter than F1. What happens when Merc abandon F1 and fully focus on FE? Or if Ferrari decide enough's enough and enter themselves as a manufacturer?

42 minutes ago, SMD said:

What happens when Merc abandon F1 and fully focus on FE? Or if Ferrari decide enough's enough and enter themselves as a manufacturer?

Never, ever going to happen imo. Merc's cost vs value from F1 is ridiculous. And Ferrari will probably be the last stumbling block to electric F1, rather than a trailblazer. I think there is more chance of humans sorting out climate change than there is of Ferrari joining FE.

The last gen of FE cars before F1 goes electric, maybe they become the basis for the next F2 car. By the time the tech is ready for F1, the FE brand will be mothballed for sure. There will be no need for it. Electric becomes the norm for road drivers so the need to call it out in the series name doesn't exist anymore.

At the end of the day it's all about the brand awareness and the reach for sponsors. F1's is huge and extends far further than informed motorsports fans. FE is totally unknown to the man on the street and as a brand it's completely expendable. 

The tipping point will be Ferrari going.  3 years after that point F1 will be full EV

Of the races i've watched, including monaco this year, they have been good. I've enjoyed them but been frustrated by the circuits.

I don't see the point of putting the boost lane on the outside of the corner. It seems like it's designed to drop the car at least one spot when it goes for the boast and the circuits can be almost impossible to pass on. Why not have it on the straight so you can see the increase in power ?

4 minutes ago, Sidewaysbob said:

The tipping point will be Ferrari going.  3 years after that point F1 will be full EV

Of the races i've watched, including monaco this year, they have been good. I've enjoyed them but been frustrated by the circuits.

I don't see the point of putting the boost lane on the outside of the corner. It seems like it's designed to drop the car at least one spot when it goes for the boast and the circuits can be almost impossible to pass on. Why not have it on the straight so you can see the increase in power ?

because it's meant to be a risk/reward thing where you go off line to get the attack mode so you have to pick when you do it carefully. it's not perfect and i'm not a massive fun but it's miles better than drs imo

1 hour ago, gospvg said:

Sorry I've not watched an FE race I just like the variance in different cars/engines/drivers in F1 that mix the pot before a new season. FE with a standard car for everyone then just comes down to only driver skill.

Formula E everyone makes their own powertrain, it's the batteries and chassis that are standard, simply because that's not the point of the series.

F E hasn't been a spec series since season 1.

1 hour ago, gospvg said:

I was interested about the power units bit but the 'power boost lane' WTF?

I'm curious now so going to watch some videos on youtube.

F E exists to try shit, that extends to literally everything about it.

Some of those work out, some of those are batshit.  Virtually all of it would never make it to Electric F1.

7 minutes ago, SMD said:

because it's meant to be a risk/reward thing where you go off line to get the attack mode so you have to pick when you do it carefully. it's not perfect and i'm not a massive fun but it's miles better than drs imo

I get that, but it's forced on the teams, they have to make two passes. The only risk seems to be how many places they lose in getting the boost. Which then doesn't seem to give them enough extra juice to make up places more than they had already. 

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of 3 boost laps, but I can't see it working at the moment.  At least DRS allows cars to pass on tracks that try to promote passing.

16 minutes ago, Sidewaysbob said:

I get that, but it's forced on the teams, they have to make two passes. The only risk seems to be how many places they lose in getting the boost. Which then doesn't seem to give them enough extra juice to make up places more than they had already. 

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of 3 boost laps, but I can't see it working at the moment.  At least DRS allows cars to pass on tracks that try to promote passing.

i see it differently, that everyone has to use attack mode twice and how you use it is down to the strategy and driver's skill. drs is essentially a press overtake button and aside from the likes of alonso's heroics, most of the time it's a foregone conclusion

like i said, it's not perfect and i don't think i'd want it permanently but at least they're trying something outside the box and at least the cars can actually follow so there's an element of being able to come back later