IGNORED

Formula One 2021 - DRAMA - #Michael Messy

T Pot

31 minutes ago, wev said:

Nah it's a bit shitty to have read that someone is actively looking back on previous seasons, specifies a particular season they're watching and then reply to them telling them the key points from that season.

Your The Crown example doesn't really work as well as you think it does @Dudley

If I were in the Crown thread, and I was a fan of the Crown then I don't think I'd have a right to be annoyed at someone very obliquely mentioning 2 events from that season in a wider discussion of the career of one specific character that involved many more posters than me no.

The premise here is we can't mention someone wasn't the 2007 world champion, which makes the post above me gigantic spoilers if so.

26 minutes ago, Dudley said:

If I were in the Crown thread, and I was a fan of the Crown then I don't think I'd have a right to be annoyed at someone very obliquely mentioning 2 events from that season in a wider discussion of the career of one specific character that involved many more posters than me no.

The premise here is we can't mention someone wasn't the 2007 world champion, which makes the post above me gigantic spoilers if so.

Except the reason that 2007 is being discussed is because a poster has openly mentioned that they are watching the whole season for the very first time. It doesn't take alot of effort not to discuss the outcome of that season nor key events that are yet to take place at the point of the season they are at.

13 hours ago, Sidewaysbob said:

The thing is, you're talking about one of the best years for both on and off track action. 2007 was a classic year and if you watched it the time its very difficult to not talk about the many highlights. 

2008 runs it pretty close for action too I'm afraid.

5 hours ago, Dudley said:

Sorry you're just dead wrong on this we can't not talk about random seasons of F1 in the F1 thread because one of the 100 odd people reading might be watching it on something.

It'd be like not talking about Thatcher in the politics thread in case someone was watching the crown.

But no one was talking about that season? The only reason it even came up was because I said that’s when I started watching them from.
No one is obliged to then start talking about it under the assumption I know exactly what happens. Even if it is apparently “very difficult not to talk about it”. 

Really disappointed that’s specifically your stance, @Dudley. Makes me sad. I thought you were kinder than that. 

And describing me as “dead wrong” means you’re saying it’s my own fault it was spoilt for me, because I shouldn’t have mentioned it due to the fact anyone can then say what they like regardless if it does spoil it? Nice. Thanks. 

I think the point is that it's not fiction - it's history, and this thread is pretty free-roaming.

plus, this thread (and its antecedents) have never had any sort of spoiler policy - everything's been up for discussion as soon as it happened.

I'm not sure anyone would expect someone saying "i'm off to watch season X" would do so not knowing the result, any more than someone watching The World at War might not know that Germany lost. Maybe that's wrong and just the fact that I;m old, saw it the first time round, and I'm not properly accounting that people could be coming to it for the first time.

Anyway, I don't think that the eventual winner of that season has been named, or the specific results of any race, since you said you were watcing it. However, we have had posts in this thread in the last 2 weeks that were much more spoilery of 2007. . One of which discussed, in much more detail, one of the incidents Dudley alluded to. Another that specifically names the 2007 champion and mentions an incident directly affecting that result. (I won't link them, but they're there) so it's not like no-one's mentioned 2007 in this tread recently and in some detail, so Im not sure there could be an expectation that the outcome was unknown.

Exactly, whether 2007 was mentioned or not, previous seasons are up for discussion in a thread about real world events and if you'd read the thread you'd have seen them recently.

Yes, sorry if you're expecting to come into an F1 thread and not see spoilers about F1 events in the past then yes, I believe that's your fault as much as it is those times I click on motorsport.com forgetting I've not watched F2 yet.

It's not "kinder", it's an F1 thread about F1.  If we avoid some random season (which incidentally at no point did you ASK people not to talk about) we'd have to avoid any people are watching, we'd basically be able to mention nothing. It just doesn't work.  And it's not on to try and make me guilty for it.

EDIT : 2007 was "spoilt" in this thread on June 6th, June 10th, July 20th and August 1st, just 2 days before the F1 service got mentioned.  It's unreasonable to expect it to not be now. I'm as anti-spoiler as anyone but it's a 14 year old sporting event starring 3 of this season's drivers!

II watched the latest GP highlights on sky sports this morning. Is Brundle not doing the commentary any more? It's been a few years since I have enjoyed the sport but I have recently signed up to a years pass for footie so will also enjoy the F1 again.

He nopes out of several a year, if they replace him with Nico he can keep noping.

To be harsh, his usefulness as a colour commentator is long gone, I'd be happy for him to replace Croft but he's just not an expert on modern F1 now.

4 minutes ago, gospvg said:

II watched the latest GP highlights on sky sports this morning. Is Brundle not doing the commentary any more? It's been a few years since I have enjoyed the sport but I have recently signed up to a years pass for footie so will also enjoy the F1 again.

He usually skips Hungary and was at the Silverstone Classic instead this year.

Will watch the next race live. What is the qualifying setup now? Is it still Saturdays only or has that changed now? Sorry for the noobish questions. Trying to get up to speed with the changes.

10 minutes ago, Dudley said:

He nopes out of several a year, if they replace him with Nico he can keep noping.

To be harsh, his usefulness as a colour commentator is long gone, I'd be happy for him to replace Croft but he's just not an expert on modern F1 now.

I do like it when they get him out around the track during practice He finds an awesome corner with a really cool view point then talks about the cars and the challenges of it while he's barely able to be heard as they scream past. 

1 minute ago, gospvg said:

Will watch the next race live. What is the qualifying setup now? Is it still Saturdays only or has that changed now? Sorry for the noobish questions. Trying to get up to speed with the changes.

Mostly yes. There are 3 races doing something stupid but I don't think the next race is one of them.

Friday Practice, Saturday Practice and Quali, Sunday Race. 

Monza will host another Friday: Practice & Quali, Saturday Practice and Race, Sunday Race. 

I don't know where the 3rd this year will be. 

Thanks I have always enjoyed Brundle pit walks he does before the race. I like a commentary team of a experienced veteran and recently retired driver.

Curious now what Coulthard and Jenson are up to? ... Google

Thanks I have always enjoyed Brundle pit walks he does before the race. I like a commentary team of a experienced veteran and recently retired driver.

Curious now what Coulthard and Jenson are up to? ... Google

Coulthard does the C4 show and also the W Series. No idea what Jenson does. I know he did a bit of racing again but haven't seen him in a while.

I hope Nico commentates a bit more on Sky. Really enjoy him on the show.

Did not know C4 were doing highlights, I thought it was all Sky after the beeb quit.

For @NexivRed hope you are enjoying your 2007 recap, some great drivers in that season from the old guard like Trulli and Fisi to fresh blood like Vettel.

45 minutes ago, gospvg said:

And this is the problem, Brundle retired 24 years ago. He's not "A recently retired driver" anymore. His F1 experience counts for nothing.

It is very noticeable how possibly the majority of Nico's role on Sky is saying "No that's not how it works" to just about everyone but especially Brundle and Croft. 

I forget the exact context but as someone who generally doesn't watch build up or "cool down", the very first time I saw some of it the conversation was.

<Fake Jake> Would Mercedes do this?

<Brundle> No a team would never do x, it's not a thing

<Rosberg> They would and they probably did.

Because Brundle hasn't seen an unguarded inside of a team since 1997, he's fed whatever line they want him to take and shown very limited amounts because he's a journalist to them now. An old mate sure in some cases but still ultimately what he's seen of an actual F1 team in what you'd call the modern era is what they want him to see.

16 minutes ago, gospvg said:

Did not know C4 were doing highlights, I thought it was all Sky after the beeb quit.

For @NexivRed hope you are enjoying your 2007 recap, some great drivers in that season from the old guard like Trulli and Fisi to fresh blood like Vettel.

I forget the exact order of the season but here's where it's tricky, depending on at one point in the season she is, that post is a quite a big spoiler.

Spoiler

Vettel is only in 1 round, as an injury replacement for Kubica after his massive crash.

1 minute ago, Dudley said:

Brundle did briefly try being the lead alongside the then recently retired DC.

I actually liked that line up but I presume he didn't.

I imagine being in a commentary booth with Coulthard is pretty tough, he probably wears Red Bull as aftershave.

5 hours ago, Dudley said:

Exactly, whether 2007 was mentioned or not, previous seasons are up for discussion in a thread about real world events and if you'd read the thread you'd have seen them recently.

Yes, sorry if you're expecting to come into an F1 thread and not see spoilers about F1 events in the past then yes, I believe that's your fault as much as it is those times I click on motorsport.com forgetting I've not watched F2 yet.

It's not "kinder", it's an F1 thread about F1.  If we avoid some random season (which incidentally at no point did you ASK people not to talk about) we'd have to avoid any people are watching, we'd basically be able to mention nothing. It just doesn't work.  And it's not on to try and make me guilty for it.

EDIT : 2007 was "spoilt" in this thread on June 6th, June 10th, July 20th and August 1st, just 2 days before the F1 service got mentioned.  It's unreasonable to expect it to not be now. I'm as anti-spoiler as anyone but it's a 14 year old sporting event starring 3 of this season's drivers!

Good one. Suddenly after all that explanation, I’m no longer upset. Like magic. 

Maybe I’m just a freak, but I’d have just said sorry and moved on. But thanks for clarifying that being right is more important to you than how a person might feel 👍🏻 

Edit: I’d like to clarify that it wasn’t the talking and spoiling that I meant was not kind. It the was the not caring it happened afterwards.