IGNORED

Formula One 2021 - DRAMA - #Michael Messy

T Pot

Looking at Max’s onboard:

https://streamable.com/lbdsxf

In the middle of the straight he moves right to claim the inside line, then moves back left to take the corner, leaving a car’s width on the outside (as is normal for defending the inside line, squeezing the opponent whilst getting the best possible turn in)

So I think he thought Lewis was on his left (the outside line), where actually Lewis had called his bluff and gone right up the inside.

Lewis though was expecting him to pull fully to the outside to take the corner, but thanks to Max not pulling all the way to the outside, ended up getting squeezed into a line where he couldn’t make the apex.

The thing is, Columbo, he has mirrors, and turns his head to apparently look in his right hand mirror. he knows exactly where Hamilton is and expected Hamilton to yeild after his bully moving over to the right to block him. I personally don't think Hamilton is to blame in the slightest here. he was on the inside, stayed on the inside, and his path was cut by Verstappen

Positions of Max, Lando & Charles on turn in to Copse with Lewis on inside:

4A970577-081A-4012-A352-9EC9D2883A80.thumb.png.f0cf1083f33211f9884263a0e247d843.png
EA787038-71BD-42F2-994A-905E52D4987D.thumb.png.d2df8b33db975a984bed1a52a401353e.png

3282CC58-2B50-4C27-A037-9B8AEBD2B999.thumb.png.624638763d4f9a6411feb4ab78ae3645.png

Whether Max thought he was on the outside or not, Max squeezed Lewis on entry, the others didn’t.

I think he’s entitled to be there, but it’s pretty high risk giving it the squeeze at that corner at that speed. Lewis took a risk too by going for it. Irresistible force meets immovable object!

7 hours ago, rafaqat said:

Reminds me of a young Lewis who eventually learnt that sometimes taking your time works out. 

Very true, though whilst Martin Whitmarsh was a bit of a soft touch with his driver's, he didn't have the likes of Horner and Marko behaving the way they do in regards to their Special Ones.

10 hours ago, SweatyTravolta said:

What is the point of giving a Mercedes a time penalty at all though? With Russell and Hamilton behind the wheel of the fastest car, that's basically an invitation to do what needs to be done and deduct the time from the massive gap you've built over everyone else.

I mean that was truer in previous seasons than now when we actually have another driver competing at the top. Although based on how much pressure Max was under, I think the Mercs could have their spot back at the top. 

A 10 second penalty to any other team is crippling but a 10 second penalty to à Merc or Max is the price of doing business.

Yeah, but you can't give a different penalty to someone just because they're quick.  I did think they were going to leave it to after the race and drop Hamilton 3 places in Hungary which would imo have been a much better way to do it if you must penalise a perfectly normal lap 1 incident.

5 hours ago, Nicky said:

The thing is, Columbo, he has mirrors, and turns his head to apparently look in his right hand mirror. he knows exactly where Hamilton is and expected Hamilton to yeild after his bully moving over to the right to block him. I personally don't think Hamilton is to blame in the slightest here. he was on the inside, stayed on the inside, and his path was cut by Verstappen

Mirrors don't work in single seaters, they're basically for show.

But Hamilton is absolutely partly to blame, there's enough space to get round the corner, he was going too fast to use it.  That is why it's not a penalty for Verstappen.

Why it's not one for Hamilton has been covered pretty well.

It is, but it's also literally his job, it's not a lot different to Toto's "I SENT YOU AN EMAIL", just Toto's shut up now because it worked out for him.

If they'd say, straight black flagged Lewis for it you can be sure Toto would be much the same.

Max went full Max. Horner went full Horner. Lewis and Toto won. 

This is going to run and run. When your boss and their crew are foaming at the mouth that just winds up the spring up even further. 

The troll should try and take some heat out the situation today, let's see if he does. I doubt he will though, he doubled down yesterday even after the race. If this really does go super toxic over the next few races with certain members of RB leadership on tilt my money is on Ham to capitalise and maybe even nick this championship - which, lets face it is Max's to lose. When you are second best you need some variables to come to your aid - rain, DNFs, poor decision making. That is the position Merc and Ham are in right now. This situation - a potentially toxic war is very good for them right now imo.

I don't think Merc suddenly found half a second or whatever, RB still have by far the best car and are absolutely favourites for both championships. The Mansell bullshit the crowd give you... blah blah. Who knows, maybe there is something in it.  What I can say for sure is Ham is somehow able to raise his game to a silly level at this track, a feat he has done many times now. It was a great recovery drive.

42 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Quite apart from anything else, two actual title rivals who fucking hate each other?

Yes please.

Yeah apart from Max being OK this is my main takeaway too.. this rivalry just got turned up several notches, bring on the rest of the season!

Also how perfect is that "thankfully he jumped out of the way or he'd have ended up in the fence" quote from Horner :lol:

3 hours ago, footle said:

They'll have been following Aston Martin or something. You can pretty much guarantee they'll be where the action isn't.

Either following Aston Martin or HAAS. Seriously I'm sure they must get payments from those teams to cover them more than others!

F1 really needed this rivalry; it's been incredibly dull since the Lewis/Rosberg era.

I did enjoy Max's comment that Lewis isn't allowed to celebrate a Formula 1 win on home turf because... he's watching it on hospital TV. What an ego!

Brilliant stuff.

3 minutes ago, mexos said:

So Spa and Zandvoort coming up. I can't see any drama happening in either location. 

Screen_Shot_2018-04-27_at_11.43.10_AM.jpg

After the terrible flooding across Europe last week the road to the paddock entrance at Spa looked like this,

ADE60981-D632-4C51-A4BF-F36FB5196E8A.thumb.jpeg.464892ac2834749edbcf5e1135c312ea.jpeg

and two tunnels onto the circuit are impassable.

Doesn’t say how long the track will be closed, but they might be up against it.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.gpblog.com/en/amp/89158/circuit-spa-temporarily-closed-due-to-flooding-damage.html

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mercedes-british-gp-red-flag-saved-hamilton-from-retirement/6633641/

We'd failed the rim where we had the contact at the front left, so that would've been a DNF had it not been red-flagged," Shovlin said after the British GP.

"But the rest of the damage was actually remarkably little. It was a tyre temperature sensor that had got knocked loose so it was waggling around but, amazingly, it's the least important part on the front wing and it was the only one that broke."

Time to change the red flag rules

because Hamilton benefited again. Of course the fixing of repairs during a red flag also helps cars who picked up damage through no fault of their own or might have carbon fibre in their tyres from running through debris but if Hamilton benefits in any way the need to be changed. 🙄

8 hours ago, Dudley said:

Mirrors don't work in single seaters, they're basically for show.

This is bollocks.  The drivers talk about seeing people in their mirrors and also how the mirrors are useless as and when it suits them.

Worth a read to put the penalties into context:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/masi-teams-agreed-that-penalties-dont-reflect-consequences-of-incidents/6633598/

Asked about the team's complaints that the punishment wasn't harsh enough, Masi said: "I think if you look at it on that basis you'll never find a penalty that will address an imbalance like that.

"If you look at it in that particular circumstance so that is why going back a few years the teams, or team principals, made a clear distinction that they didn't want consequences taken into account they wanted it based on the incident itself.

"I completely understand that perspective and I think that is a general held view across all stewarding, to not look at consequences for that purpose."

Indeed, you can't really apply a race penalty based upon what may or may not have happened to the driver. Could they decide to put points on Hamilton's license due to Verstappen going to hospital? Sure but that was because he reported dizziness so they did a CT scan (according to a Dutch journalist in an interview with Ricciardo), something that teams and drivers could easily abuse (and let's face it, they would)