Formula One 2021 - DRAMA - #Michael Messy

T Pot

Max is giving it the full Christian Horner

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRei1n8Fhko/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

First of all: I am glad I’m ok. It was quite an impact at 51G but feeling better

Obviously very disappointed with being taken out like this. The penalty given does not help us in any way and doesn’t do justice to the dangerous move Lewis made on track

Watching the celebrations after the race while still in hospital is disrespectful and unsportsmanlike behavior but we move on

This is going to run and run. I think he's definitely going to take Hamilton out the race at some point and this incident will have no impact on his aggresive driving. 

4 minutes ago, ryodi said:

Max is a spoiled brat who has his attitude enabled by the likes of Horner and Marko, raging because somebody for once has told him no (Hamilton not backing out of another dangerous move)

I'm sure Max will still make dangerous moves hoping that people will just jump out of the way given his rep as a dirty driver. Hell, he was weaving and banging wheels right up until he went for the chop that this time backfired.

12 minutes ago, ryodi said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRei1n8Fhko/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

This is going to run and run. I think he's definitely going to take Hamilton out the race at some point and this incident will have no impact on his aggresive driving. 

It's proper cringe. Tomorrow he'll read that back and bite his fist off. 

1 minute ago, mexos said:

I genuinely doubt it. Max is so far up his own backside he's coming round for thirds.

1 hour ago, mexos said:

Max is never wrong and enabled by the Red Bull team around him. The season is now going to portrayed as Max fighting back against the dirty driver Hamilton and all of the people losing their minds over this supposed injustice will eat it up. I think it's going to happen again because Hamilton has had enough of Max's shit aggressive driving and isn't going to back down anymore. 

Not having Sky and no MotoGP on this week, that was the first live F1 race I’ve watched in a long time. I’ve got to say it was pretty entertaining, and If I put all the Tom Cruise weirdo stuff out of my mind I got a kick out of the Top Gun pastiche.

Regarding ‘the incident’, well I’m kind of on the fence about it. Max definitely knew he was there and could have stayed wide, and it looks like Lewis kind of backed off. But then he didn’t make the apex; if he had I think it would have been easier to say it was a fair move.

Certainly makes the season more interesting and it’s kind of incredible how motivated Lewis still is after all his success.

Edited by Junker
Mistake

2 minutes ago, layten said:

lol they be mad AF

Screams of "we're having a tantrum but know that we haven't really got a leg to stand on".

My 8yo tries similar.

Max's onboard from the Autosport forum

Max's onboard. At 51 sec, Max starts to turn in, sees the Mercedes front wing fully alongside his own front wheels and instinctively opens his steering wheel a touch but then immediately turns in hard again almost as if to prove a point not just to Lewis but to himself to not be the one to chicken out. I reiterate, Max starts to turn in, notices Lewis right beside him and instinctively moves to create space but then immediately reverses his decision in a much stronger move turning back in hard.

4 minutes ago, Blue said:

I think it's what's known in the trade as turning the corner before you run out of track.

Despite all that reaching, it still wouldn't reach across the amount of track he had left.

Horner’s indignation would ring a lot less hollow if he didn’t defend every dangerous move Max has pulled off over the years.  If it was reversed he’d be say racing incident and changing the conversation to talk about how great Max was.

4 hours ago, wev said:

Yeah you can, they can't work on the car for a specific time then they can do work on it

That's not what a stop go is.

53 minutes ago, GwiDan said:

I see that as him opening his wheel and giving Lewis space. 

Yeah, that's what avoided him a penalty, he left Hamilton enough space. Hamilton was unable to fit his car in it.

The FIA backed themselves into a corner by establishing the Overtaking Prevention Comittee in Austria, it's absolutely consistent with those decisions.  The irony of course is had Lewis completed the corner in the space and taken the racing line, he'd have got penalised for "pushing Max off" anyway.

It's a racing incident in the language of anyone who watched the sport for 5 minutes and doesn't live in the anal cavity of either driver, but they've established precedent and gave the lowest penalty they in any way could given that precedent.

What is the point of giving a Mercedes a time penalty at all though? With Russell and Hamilton behind the wheel of the fastest car, that's basically an invitation to do what needs to be done and deduct the time from the massive gap you've built over everyone else.

I mean that was truer in previous seasons than now when we actually have another driver competing at the top. Although based on how much pressure Max was under, I think the Mercs could have their spot back at the top. 

A 10 second penalty to any other team is crippling but a 10 second penalty to à Merc or Max is the price of doing business.

@Dudley

Re my misunderstanding of Hamilton's penalty. 

Yeah I understand that now thanks to the thread. I blame the heat and only half paying attention as I tried to deal with a similar battle between my younger two kids 

5 hours ago, wev said:

The exciting thing with Max is that he will fight anyone for everyone corner, he doesn't tend to back off and and come back at his opponent. That comes with the issue that it won't always go his way and today was that day.

Reminds me of a young Lewis who eventually learnt that sometimes taking your time works out.