Formula One 2021 - DRAMA - #Michael Messy

T Pot

9 minutes ago, JohnC said:

As I was going to ask before being rudely interrupted by Perez, why are the putting CG markers on the wheels of the car in front in that onboard view?

Yeah that really did seem unnecessary. I can’t really imagine many people proclaiming “Ohhh that’s the car in front, I’m glad they made that clear, I thought it was a seagull.”

Max is killing Hamilton at the start this season and all the sprint race has done is make it happen on Saturday instead of Sunday. The race tomorrow is going to be wreck the tyres going by this sprint race. Perez is just a luckier Albon.

I enjoyed that. Can only be better at tracks that allow a little more overtaking.

But it basically takes the most commonly interesting part of the race and means we get it run twice in the weekend. You get the random midfield guy making an excellent start (Alonso here) which then creates some racing to watch as it unwinds most of the way again.

That was basically just the first stint of a normal Grand Prix. Entertaining enough but it’s pretty much taken all the people who were out of position on the grid and shuffled them back into a position that reflects their pace a bit more. 

2 minutes ago, kiroquai said:

That was basically just the first stint of a normal Grand Prix. Entertaining enough but it’s pretty much taken all the people who were out of position on the grid and shuffled them back into a position that reflects their pace a bit more. 

I’ve seen it described as a 400km Grand Prix, with a red flag thrown after the first 100. 

I thought they raised a good point about the engines, how much damage are they likely to take etc. With that in mind have Mercedes pushed red bull with a plan for tomorrow and releasing some power once it was clear Lewis couldn’t pass? It could have made for some interesting tactics but I guess if the red bull sails off again then it’s just a better all round car and that’s the season settled!!

I don’t think the thing is ever going to feel like its own unique, interesting thing unless the FIA do something properly interesting with it.

My suggestion? Qualifying on Friday. That sets the grid for Sunday. On Saturday just flip the grid entirely and run a 30% distance race with points going 10 for first and 1 for tenth and let them at it. Perhaps exclude damage caused on Saturday from the cost cap and let them have a free set of tyres for it.

As it is, the Sprint thing really isn’t anything particularly interesting and isn’t going to solve the problem they are trying to solve, I don’t think.

Look the rule is very simple. If you try to overtake with the DRS closed it's a penalty. They didn't spend all that money on DRS for it not to be used.

15 hours ago, kiroquai said:

My suggestion? Qualifying on Friday. That sets the grid for Sunday. On Saturday just flip the grid entirely and run a 30% distance race with points going 10 for first and 1 for tenth and let them at it. Perhaps exclude damage caused on Saturday from the cost cap and let them have a free set of tyres for it.

Was basically the original plan, was vetoed by the "top" teams.

We watch F2 now.

again, I believe the interest stems from the alt mode of the F1 video games, but he’s memorised the teams and drivers in numerical order.

he doesn’t know why no.11 isn’t used though. know who no.11 is though

Edited by SeanR

15 hours ago, ryodi said:

Three place grid penalty for Russell for his contact with Sainz. 

The rule seems to be that if someone attempts a move on you round the outside, you are obliged to back out meekly and simply let them have the place. 

10 minutes ago, Sidewaysbob said:

I think the rule is, you are not allowed to hid the others cars sponsorship, for which you will get a 3 place penalty. Maybe

Applicable to everyone except Leclerc who can hit everyone around him and not get a penalty.