IGNORED

Formula One 2021 - DRAMA - #Michael Messy

T Pot

Ferrari have a barcode on one of their cars and Williams still have Rothmans, so sure they could run it if they want. Funny I saw a Red Bull in an old livery with Renault on it and first thought was the talk about it earlier in the thread.

Talking of liveries I actually quite liked the McLaren in the flesh, think the blue loses something on TV and the Gulf blue looks even better.

19 minutes ago, LowCostMonkey said:

Looking at the Williams, it says 'Racing' rather than Rothmans. So I'm starting to think it might be a regulation / legal thing. I can't seem to find any information though. I want to know, now :) 

The "Racing" instead of Rothmans was used in period as there was a sort of gentlemans' agreement that teams wouldn't run tobacco branding in the UK that predated the official ban coming by several years.

8 hours ago, Blue said:

More of this please. Better than those side by side lap comparison videos.

Awesome!

The worst is when they show 2 cars' speed, what's the point of that?

44 minutes ago, JPR said:

No, Williams are running a Rothmans, there's also plenty of privately owned cars with full tobacco sponsorship.

1.thumb.jpg.4525587ecf082f459df736d3ba7713ff.jpg

Yep, a Marlboro went up the hill earlier.  McLaren (and Williams) just do it because their fancy new sponsors want to have their jollies without being associated with reality.

EDIT: Also this right now.

image.thumb.png.c986f96c29bd84b727b5472016fedd64.png

The BAT stuff is conspicuously absent from the 2021 liveried McLaren on display too.

:omg:

Could it be??

https://virginradio.co.uk/radio/listen-again/1625808600

Source - Navigate to the 8:30-9:00 am slot, top left above the player. Time stamp is 23:40.

Crofty using a lot of maybe's etc, but then goes into more solid language about how Mercedes were waiting for Hamilton's contract to be finalized/announced.

Two year contract (2022-2023) which matches Hamilton's contract. Sets them up with a strong team for the first two years of the new regulations without concerns over contracts.

11 hours ago, SMD said:

The rumour is Russell to Merc will be announced at Silverstone, in case anyone else was wondering what the radio thing was about.

Doesn’t that run the risk of pissing Bottas off for the rest of the season?  Or is the incentive still to do well to secure a seat somewhere else?  Or does Bottas just swap with Russell and go to Williams?

4 hours ago, davidcotton said:

Doesn’t that run the risk of pissing Bottas off for the rest of the season?  Or is the incentive still to do well to secure a seat somewhere else?  Or does Bottas just swap with Russell and go to Williams?

I don't think there's any risk of Bottas performing worse than he already has been.

5 hours ago, davidcotton said:

Probably but I imagine if he decides to be awkward it's going to kill any chance he has to be a Mercedes ambassador when he retires. His entire F1 career has been powered by their engines after all and he's currently their third most successful driver since they came back to F1. 

17 hours ago, davidcotton said:

This does make the assumption he finds out when we do and not, for instance, before this season even started.

12 hours ago, ryodi said:

Probably but I imagine if he decides to be awkward it's going to kill any chance he has to be a Mercedes ambassador when he retires. His entire F1 career has been powered by their engines after all and he's currently their third most successful driver since they came back to F1. 

This would be a marginally more impressive stat if there were more than 4. And if the 4th wasn't an already retired driver who got shit for cars from them.

51 minutes ago, Dudley said:

This does make the assumption he finds out when we do and not, for instance, before this season even started.

This would be a marginally more impressive stat if there were more than 4. And if the 4th wasn't an already retired driver who got shit for cars from them.

technically five *cough*

On 09/07/2021 at 14:29, LowCostMonkey said:

Looking at the Williams, it says 'Racing' rather than Rothmans. So I'm starting to think it might be a regulation / legal thing. I can't seem to find any information though. I want to know, now :) 

tbh, if they say Racing I'm at least semi ok with it, that is at least a form the car raced in.

But those blank McLarens because apparently even the barcode is verboten now are horrible.

Isn't it all to do with TV not being able to advertise the ciggy brands so just won't show the cars at all. So McLaren etc decided to just take all but the most obscure references off rather than not be seen on TV. It may be that events won't even let them in if the branding is there and it's being televised.

Its got to be a ball ache for the teams so they just remove or cover the stuff up. Saves all the hassle.  

Apparently Lando Norris had his watch pinched outside Wembley yesterday. Fucking state of people outside that stadium yesterday (and on social media after).

Going back a few days, very sad to see Carlos Reutemann passed away. Superb driver, although prone to a few ‘off days’ when the mood didn’t take him.

16 hours ago, Sidewaysbob said:

they've had the work experience lad playing with Photoshop for an afternoon here... 

image.thumb.png.f639d3a7af3cd1be0942c75df7727152.png

I saw a retrospective Aussie Supercars series and they'd attempted to do that on archive video.

It didn't end super well.

I'm going to Silverstone for Friday free practice & quali. When I originally bought the tickets it was going to be two 1 hour practice sessions and then head home mid-afternoon. But now it's 1 practice session with Qualifying not starting till 6pm. At least I'll miss rush hour coming home. Long drive though.