Xbox 360 Halo games - support for matchmaking and related online features ending from December 2021

343 Industries announced that from December 2021, support will end for online matchmaking and certain other online features in all the Xbox 360 Halo games (3, ODST, Reach, 4, CE Anniversary, Wars, and Spartan Assault). You'll still be able to play online, but only in customs. They've also removed all of them from sale (though you should still be able to get the DLC for free).

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/sunsetting-halo-xbox-360-game-services-in-2021

I thought this was worth its own topic rather than burying it in the 360 thread, since although a lot of 360 games' online features have been shut down over the years, Halo is the biggest first-party series it's happened to.

It's good that they've given everyone this amount of notice in advance! I only hope that we'll get this length of warning when the leaderboard servers for 360 games get disabled, whenever that may be...

We are intentionally moving slowly and deliberately with a multi-phase approach to provide our players with plenty of advance notice: 

Phase One – Fall 2019 

* One-time migration of over 6M pieces of Halo Xbox 360 Legacy UGC data to Halo: The Master Chief Collection

Phase Two – December 2020 (WE ARE HERE) 

*Initial notification to players

*Digital sales of Halo Xbox 360 titles are halted 

*Halo Xbox 360 DLC can still be acquired at no cost

Phase Three – 2021 

*Continued messaging and reminders throughout the year across Halo channels 

Phase Four – December 2021 *(TBD, no sooner than 1 year from the date of today’s blog) 

*Halo Xbox 360 legacy services are turned off  

12142020_blogtable_xbox360_eol_1120x680-486124b03ff644d9aa93cd30b9f9e44f.thumb.jpg.38d3488d0b9146fa72230f6a1bbceecc.jpg

You can't really fault Microsoft for turning off the servers after 14 years and giving you a year's notice, but it's still pretty funny reading the enraged responses from the "fans" saying stuff like "nice way to support your base assholes" or "kill the game now, its done, M$ decided money was more important than keeping the community alive".

• 4 weeks later...

In just under a month, farewell to your old Halo stats and screenshots on Bungie.net:

http://halo.bungie.net/stats/reach/online.aspx

http://halo.bungie.net/online/default.aspx

https://www.bungie.net/en/Explore/Detail/News/50006

DUST AND ECHOES

Almost nine years ago, stats and files from our previous franchise, Halo, stopped getting updated on Bungie.net. Since then, all stats, files, and other data from Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo 3: ODST, and Halo: Reach have lived on in remembrance at halo.bungie.net. 

On February 9, the halo.bungie.net website will be taken offline permanently. Everyone is welcome to save their stats and files, however they can, if they'd like to save anything. Please keep in mind that our News articles, Forums, and Groups were imported into the current version of Bungie.net back in 2013.

halo_mulitplayer_stats_sm.thumb.jpg.b241e1bb5c14f6d78ea47f9e78d46b4b.jpg

Some snaps of my own 3 and Reach stats...

Spoiler

image.png.f596fde6d62d20f9471cd16e109dc4e9.png

image.png.52d2c60bd4b54db7ee6d74206eca8835.png

image.png.773fed0acf872539b726e8f653c3aa8a.png

image.png.bc5ace1396187a879a503e37cb0bc09f.png

https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/kxg09u/halobungienet_is_going_offline_permanently_on/gjbdoh1/

Darkphibre343 Employee | 

Oh, this does make me sad: I wrote the first published Halo 2 Stats tracker (the only app that beat me to release was an Excel plugin). It was my C# Regex / Webscraping "Hello World," and it was a lot of fun to give people a way to look at their data with different pivots. You could plot your clans attendence, chart which hours you do poorly, figure out which friends should be ranked and which were... more social (WinPctWithPlayerOnTeam - PersonalAvgWinPct < 0).

I even started up a conversation with someone that was pushing for a standardized cross-genre stats collection schema (didn't go anywhere, unfortunately).

My ancient website: Halo 3 Statistics Tracking Utility (don't have the H2 URL unfortunately)

Somewhere I have a few screenshots of a prototype I wrote, that would layer in all the bomb paths a clan would take the bomb. :P

I also had an unreleased fuzzy logic engine that would analyze your enemy's Halo Wars strategies by pulling up the last 10 matches while everyone was in the loading screen. I was hoping to figure out how to have it verbally announce (rather than just show probabilities over time in a complicated chart).

At the time I worked on SQL Server Analysis Services... but it was my passion for Halo and game statistics that kept my focus on Xbox (I joined the Advanced Technology Group a few years later, helping studios with XAudio2 surround-sound implementation, Kinect audio, XMV, and XHV stacks).

9 years ago I joined 343 Industries during Halo 4 to architect a new generation of statistics gathering for the next title... and an amazing team of devs helped bring it to fruition. Our telemetry system was (may still be) unparalleled; I gave a GDC talk a few years back on the creation of it.

During the H5 beta, we tracked every bullet fired and its trajectory. :D On Halo 5's launch, we generated more events than the combined annual transactions of the world's stock exchanges (as far as I could tell). We were 10x the published numbers of the next closest publisher (and that was for all events from several hundred mobile titles). Someone left in a bug that spammed an event during the loading of Warzone... but hey, the tech stack stood up without breaking a sweat. The people working on the Halo franchise are among the brightest and most passionate I've come across, and every day's been a privilege, working on something that means so much to so many (myself included).

I don't work on the public-facing services, but it's my understanding that, while Halo Waypoint doesn't render the heatmaps for H5, a subset of the the telemetry is collected available to anyone with an app token: <MatchEvents> developer portal (haloapi.com). (addressing some of the comments elsewhere about the state of Halo stats)

Oh, right! I performed the statistical analysis / heatmap on Red vs. Blue target acquisition, confirming there was a subtle disadvantage for red-team players vs. blue with the original HSL selection (which may have had more to do with lighting engine, a long story, but regardless we made a tweak to improve the balance). You can read my writeup half-way down this waypoint article: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/a-whole-new-ball-game

I owe a lot of my career to my passion around Halo statistics. Rest well, halo.bungie.net, you've had an amazing run.

All opinions my own and not necessarily that of my employer.

Speaking of Halo stats - was it here that someone was talking big game about their skills on Legendary or something and then someone looked up his stats and they showed he died a bazillion times in the first level alone? And then he claimed it was some mysterious never before mentioned roommate? Ah, good times 

2 minutes ago, Rob Rymond said:

Is there a way to easily save some of these stats or just a case of screen shotting things?

To save them locally, there's a Chrome extension called SingleFile, which in my experience is a more reliable way of saving pages than Chrome or Firefox's built-in page saving. You do have to visit and save each page one at a time though: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/singlefile/mpiodijhokgodhhofbcjdecpffjipkle?hl=en

Or you can go to http://web.archive.org/save and instruct archive.org to save each page you want - again, has to be done manually one at time.

I haven't tried it, but on Reddit I saw a recommendation to use the webcrawler program HTTrack, along with this command:

For anybody curious, you can use this command to get just your own stats:

httrack http://halo.bungie.net/stats/halo3/default.aspx?player=yournamehere +*player=yournamehere*

This should grab everything associated with you for Halo 2, Halo 3, and Halo 3: ODST. Reach has a slightly different URL but the concept is the same.

E: Might want to kill the process after a few hours. That filter does remove a lot of things, but httrack still tries to grab a lot of unrelated profile data.

3 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Speaking of Halo stats - was it here that someone was talking big game about their skills on Legendary or something and then someone looked up his stats and they showed he died a bazillion times in the first level alone? And then he claimed it was some mysterious never before mentioned roommate? Ah, good times 

I’m not sure if it’s the same person you’re talking about, but I remember bcass got found out quitting every multiplayer game he started to lose in. That was a lot of fun!

Oh, and Angel gave me a load of stick once for moaning about how unbalanced Halo 5 Legendary solo was against the Warden Eternal, then it turned out he hadn’t even played it on Legendary. Oh how I laughed.

I completed it in the end by the way.

On 20/12/2020 at 12:37, K said:

You can't really fault Microsoft for turning off the servers after 14 years and giving you a year's notice, but it's still pretty funny reading the enraged responses from the "fans" saying stuff like "nice way to support your base assholes" or "kill the game now, its done, M$ decided money was more important than keeping the community alive".

Yes,  it's a weird attempt at outrage given that Microsoft have usage stats to influence their decision and  that these games are all available in an updated release  that is itself now supported on a second generation of Consoles. 

I wonder if the number of unique users playing the 360 games is larger than the number of unique posters on neogaf + resetera posting that it's absolutely disgusting.

8 hours ago, JPL said:

’m not sure if it’s the same person you’re talking about, but I remember bcass got found out quitting every multiplayer game he started to lose in. That was a lot of fun!

Haha no it was slightly different. I remember that now. He always always wanted to use the needler in mp. So whenever the game loaded a map without the needler, he would quit out. Like, fuck my teammates imma need my needler. Someone here then did the math and it turned out he spent the overwhelming majority of his vast playing time quiting instead of actually playing :lol: Classic

Yeah, that was the bcass thing. He quit every map/mode that didn't meet his very specific requirements, and thanks to the stats, someone calculated that he had spent a cumulative total of several days just quitting Halo games. One of those golden forum moments.

22 minutes ago, phillv85 said:

I love that people who probably haven’t played some of these games for the best part of a decade are whining about this. God bless the internet.

Ha! The loudest complaints will be from people who've never played them ever and don't own an xbox.