IGNORED

The Book of Boba Fett - December 2021, Disney +

Captain Kelsten

Very good episode, two minor gripes from me

Spoiler

The Hutt twins looked a little naff in CG and reminded me of Jabba in the Prequels. Nothing beats rubber Jabba in Jedi. Always fun to see Hutts though and hopefully we get to see Nal Hutta and Nar Shadda properly on screen some day.

The Pykes being in this was cool. Not so sure about the mer men faces under the masks though. Not very imposing or interesting seeing as this is the first time we have seen their faces (I think?).

On 06/01/2022 at 13:57, yakumo said:

Holy crap, Black Krrsanta I did not expect. This does mean we see Bossk, and fingers cross Doctor Aphra?

After waiting till all the episodes of the Mandolorian were out and having loads of it spoiled for me as a result, I've sworn to watch things as they come out now. Black K being there was a real "Is that..?!" surprise moment and I loved it.

If we get Aphra showing up they need to give her a shot at her own show - it'd be amazing.

Really enjoying this. Like @TehStusays, I love the lore being included/written, making you care about these “extras” from the movie. 

Listening to the end credit music today; I half wondered if both this and The Mandalorian were composed so they could be mixed together. 
Mandalorian is Wild West and Boba Fett is more piratey, but there’s something about how much more simple the Boba Fett tune is, that makes me wonder. 

edit: okay, tried it. Boba Fett is a waltz lol. 

9 minutes ago, Vulgar Monkey said:

As someone unfamiliar with the EU characters discussed above except for what is on wookiepaedia, I'm assuming

Hide contents

Aphra is basically the 'bad guy everyone kinda roots for' sorta character?

Yep

Spoiler

She's a an amoral con artist, who betrays the people around her - often to her own detriment. She's clever and funny and sometimes dies the right thing. She's the best character the comic's introduced and would be perfect in this world.

29 minutes ago, Vulgar Monkey said:

As someone unfamiliar with the EU characters discussed above except for what is on wookiepaedia, I'm assuming

Hide contents

Aphra is basically the 'bad guy everyone kinda roots for' sorta character?

Spoiler

She's basically evil Indiana Jones

She's bloody amazing

5 minutes ago, TehStu said:

Basically, read the Kieron Gillen Vader comics.

This.

They do something I thought was impossible. The comic Darth Vader feels like the film one - his lines I read in his voice. However, he also feels like Anakin Skywalker from the prequels. It's a great bit of writing. 

I can see Aphra being the next breakout "non film" character after Ahsoka to go mainstream in the SW universe. As everyone else has said she is too good a character not to be featured live action somewhere, just got to get the casting done.

Also, her evil droid buddies have to feature as well, right?

I think Awkwafina would be a good fit for the role of Aphra, pretty sure she could bring the level of humour from the comic series to the screen.  Only sticking point is she’s the right age for the comic character now, but if they wanted to link it in to The Mandalorian/Boba Fett/Ahsoka then she would have to be older, and you wouldn’t have all the Vader stuff they have had.

Evil Chewbacca looked pretty fucking badass. I enjoy a good train heist although I lol'd at the sand dudes managing to catch up with it on foot once it had stopped, surely it had gone hundreds of miles while they were speeding alongside and climbing over the top. The dance at the end was baller.

On 09/01/2022 at 14:16, Ivanho said:

I think Awkwafina would be a good fit for the role of Aphra, pretty sure she could bring the level of humour from the comic series to the screen.  Only sticking point is she’s the right age for the comic character now, but if they wanted to link it in to The Mandalorian/Boba Fett/Ahsoka then she would have to be older, and you wouldn’t have all the Vader stuff they have had.

Fuck no

I’m feeling very indifferent about this. Feel like I’m watching it out of duty rather than enjoyment. I felt exactly the same way about The Mandalorian, which leaves me worried about the direction Star Wars is going. It all looks good, and hits many nostalgia bones, but just feels very lightweight and hollow. There’s just no dramatic all emotional weight to any of it, which the original trilogy had plenty of. Just a bunch of stuff happening each week. Feels more like Star Wars cosplay.

I know it’s early days to judge, but my experience of watching The Mandalorian doesn’t give me high hopes that things will change.

5 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

Stop watching, then? Life’s too short! :lol:

I should, but there’s that stupid part of my brain that can’t live with the knowledge that Star Wars shows are out there that I haven’t seen.

Episode 3

Spoiler

This was superb - that black wookiee is amazing, I was really hoping he was going to stay and work for Boba.

How on earth they managed to make me feel sorry for Tusken Raiders and a Rancor is quite something :lol:  Really hope we see Boba riding the Rancor through the streets of Mos Espa by the end of the season

Also - Danny fucking Trejo!! If ever there was a perfect bit of casting!

Few observations from Boba Fett episode 3

Spoiler

Really like that Wookie, he was scary and badass, I hope we see more of him. He also looks great.

I also really liked the scene with the Rancor and and how it kinda helps explain the relationship between the keeper and the creature in Jedi.

The chase scene was rubbish though. It looks stillted and really slow. I believe there's a lot of practical effect being used, but sometime CGI is just the best way forwarded. It may not seem as weighty, but it makes scenes like that feel more exciting.

It's hitting around a 7/10 atm for me.