IGNORED

The Book of Boba Fett - December 2021, Disney +

Captain Kelsten

3 hours ago, gone fishin said:

The other thing that people seem to forget about when complaining about how Boba Fett isn’t as “bad ass” as in the original trilogy. Isn’t this is set 5 years after Return of the Jedi? I’m not sure how long Boba Fett was in the sarlacc pit for, but judging by the flashbacks Boba Fett has, he’s had a pretty messed up 5 years - no wonder he’s not as confident in himself….

Ok, I’ll give you that - so why’s he doing any of it? Why did he massacre the population of Bib/Jabba’s palace so he could take over? It’s not a revenge thing, he was more or less on the same team as them in ROTJ and it’s not their fault he fell into the sarlacc pit. Nobody on Tatooine seems to like him or want him to be the boss, and he’s not even from there (why does he keep saying “these are my people”?). If it’s just because he was at a loose end and needed to find a reliable earner for himself, why doesn’t he act more like a mercenary? Why does he keep throwing away his money while trying and failing to earn respect?

There’s a crucial part missing somewhere that explains what the hell his motivation is.  Maybe he didn’t like the way Bib Fortuna ran things, but they told us that Boba doesn’t want to rule through fear - so why did he murder everyone to fix the problem.

Spoiler

That was uneven as fuuuuuck.

It was also, on balance, shite.

Generally I've enjoyed the series and I'm glad it's happened but those Robert Rodriguez episodes were horrible.

Why the fuck did Boba Fett fuck off back to the palace and not bring back his spaceship, a spaceship that would have got back to the city much quicker, a spaceship that is literally called a "Firespray-31-class patrol and attack craft".  FFS.

It was clumsy, almost A-Team-ish in the action on screen.  Why were the robots shooting 5 feet into the floor in front of them?

Too many nods and winks, too many flat jokes, terrible shoot outs. All of these were a total failure of directing.

I love that thing where a “goody” character is all like “omg they’re going to destroy my beloved city!  I cannot let this happen!” (when the enemy have barely caused a scratch) then proceeds to turn up with Lizzy from Rampage to smash up the joint left, right and centre. 

4 hours ago, MK-1601 said:

*sits bolt upright at 2AM*

Shit man, I can't believe

Reveal hidden contents

they killed the cantina band

2 hours ago, Darwock said:

Again.

Ha!  Fine work. 

You know it was cheesy and a bit shit as all the (about ten) free People and mods crowded into a small fort thing and went pew pew a lot.

You could have sped the whole thing up, including Boba on the big lad, stuck the Benny Hill music over it and it would have worked.

But you know what? So what? It was fun enough and perhaps Boba Fett has become Bobby Fun who loves kids and wants to bring back pod races and hugs - but we got Mando, Luke, and the little guy.

Also seeing the big lad jumo about and smash stuff = a new way to play with star wars merch! Who knew?! 

20 hours ago, Harsin said:

That's an excellent article about just how weird the story dynamics of this series were.

Yeah that’s a great read thanks @Andy_Why 

This bit was bang on for me:

Boba gives this whole speech about this being his city and his people and I’m like… are they?

1 hour ago, Lorfarius said:

I hope this doesn't get a second series but I do hope the Mandalorian does.

I’ve got this total fantasy in my head that when the Mandalorian turned out to be a massive hit, the suits got really involved in season 2 and forced it to be used to introduce loads of spin-off shows. They probably pushed to have loads of focus on Boba Fett and his spaceship too, because the demographics go crazy for that stuff.

In this fantasy of mine Jon Favreau probably wasn’t very happy with all the interference, and pitched the idea of giving Boba Fett his own sub-series so that the company people could get exactly what they wanted with that - on the condition that they leave season 3 alone and trust in Jon & Dave Filoni to do it right.

I’m interested to see if Mando season 3 is more like the first or the second.

8 hours ago, MK-1601 said:

*sits bolt upright at 2AM*

Shit man, I can't believe

Reveal hidden contents

they killed the cantina band

They're probably in the (long) queue for a session in the bacta tank.

S2 of the Book of Boba Fett will be a Brittas Empire style sitcom focussing on Boba's efforts to convert Jabba's Palace into the finest health retreat in the galaxy, where he will offer long rejuvenating bacta tank sessions and cleansing programmes where you can only drink those sand people water pod things.

15 hours ago, gone fishin said:

Anyway, the story arc of Boba Fett moving from a lone bounty hunter to building up his own “clan”, while it looks like The Mandalorian is going through the opposite arc, is pretty interesting.

Yeah, both Mando and Baby Yoda have both ended up splitting from the mob of heavily indoctrinated religious idiots they previously thought might solve all their problems. When what really solves them is tooling around in a spaceship with your broski getting into mad scrapes and banging space-broads. Yaaas

I expect Boba Fennec Fox Shan will come to the same conclusion when he she looks around during a team meeting and realises he's she's surrounded by comedy jobbers.

I didn't think it was great, but didn't think it was absolutely awful either, it was good in places, then went weird with turning into The Mandalorian 2.5, and had some comically bad moments. Like someone else said, it felt like a 80s/90s Saturday afternoon action show like The A-Team, Knight Rider, Airwolf and Thunder in Paradise.

6 minutes ago, wev said:

it felt like a 80s/90s Saturday afternoon action show like The A-Team, Knight Rider, Airwolf and Thunder in Paradise.

This vibe is entirely possibly the reason why I enjoyed it so much :lol:

So uneven. I think I enjoyed the Luke and Mando stuff partially because it wasn't in the bloody desert all the time.

Spoiler

I doubt they'll have the guts to kill Cad Bane. He'll be dragged off to a bacta tank somewhere, while Cobb is augmented for a predictable rematch in Mandalorian S3.

On 10/02/2022 at 08:15, Harsin said:

There's something about Robert Rodriguez's direction that, despite obviously having a huge budget, constantly makes you acutely aware that you're just watching people with tupperware strapped to them run around waving painted water pistols at blokes in rubber masks.

Speaking of...

So I really really like this for the reasons most people hated it/

-It feels very much like 90's tv fodder. aka Xena or Relic Hunter. I can enjoy those on some level a lot.

-I love that Boba Fett was a bit of a bumbling badass with tired dad energy. I would have ranked this a lot higher if I hadn't just watched Hawkeye back to back with this.

There is one massive problem and that's with the virtual sets. They are amazing. But they have a problem with space. So with the big set piece battle where 

Spoiler

everyone comes in from all angles and instead of flanking the enemy they all group huddle behind the car?

I'm convinced it's because they only have something the size of a large room to work in. There's just no room and it feels claustrophobic even when they're in the open. It's a problem they're going to have to solve. (It was an issue in The Mandalorian as well which led to a lot of walking instead of running.)

I still really enjoyed it in much the same way as I enjoyed watching Star Wars:Droids as a kid.

13 hours ago, Fletch said:

The clues were all there that Uncle Boba was completely incompetent eve since he did his best Frank Spencer impression into the Sarlaac Pit. 

That, and an entire space army of his clone brothers went down like cannon fodder in their millions.

I don’t think Jango was the best template they could have chosen.

42 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

This vibe is entirely possibly the reason why I enjoyed it so much :lol:

I think that's why I don't really care that some bits were so obviously naff. 

Obviously people are entitled to their own opinion on stuff, but I wonder if we've become a bit spoilt by all of this big budget shows with big over arching story lines that progress through multiple seasons and in increasing circumstances, multiple different shows and movies (so the Comic Book style story telling mixed with that of a series of novels).

I also think that The Book of Boba Fett suffers from not being quite sure what it wanted to be.

We all know Star Wars was inspired by matinee sci fi, western and ww2 shows and films and I wonder how much this was trying to go that route but also how much it was hampered by the modern desire for everything to fit together, and thus was trying to do both and not really succeeding at either.

15 minutes ago, wev said:

We all know Star Wars was inspired by matinee sci fi, western and ww2 shows and films and I wonder how much this was trying to go that route but also how much it was hampered by the modern desire for everything to fit together, and thus was trying to do both and not really succeeding at either.

My grandfather loved Bonanza and WW2 movies. I think he would have loved this, it reminds me a lot of the pulp westerns he used to enjoy.

As a whole I agree that this series was massively uneven, jarring and silly in places (the Mods still feel ridiculous to me, especially on a Tattooine setting) but I enjoyed it for all the reasons others here have mentioned, including:

• Tusken World building

• Train sequence

• Seeing Fett escape the Sarlacc

• Krrsantan

• The Rancor

But probably, most importantly for me, the call backs to everything else Star Wars from the Pykes through to The N1 Starfighter, Bane and everything in between. Great stuff, and I loved how it bridged the franchise together.

I also think, as a show primarily aimed at a younger audience, it was brilliant. I can see more kids, off the back of this, getting into Star Wars than, say, the Sequels. This is something often overlooked when we evaluate stuff from an adult lens. Star Trek (unfortunately) veered off that path itself a while ago, trying to appeal to an audience that didn't exist (Darkness, profanity, violence and innuendo galore) and I don't want the same to happen to Star Wars, keep it fun and silly in places but add your classic type villains (like Bane) in the mix to keep the kids interested. Star Wars to me is all about that massive "used" universe full of colourful characters, machines, ships and space wizards, its what hooked me to Star Wars as a kid.

Sorry massive rant over! It was flawed but I liked it, end of.

14 hours ago, Bucky said:
  Hide contents

That was uneven as fuuuuuck.

It was also, on balance, shite.

Generally I've enjoyed the series and I'm glad it's happened but those Robert Rodriguez episodes were horrible.

Why the fuck did Boba Fett fuck off back to the palace and not bring back his spaceship, a spaceship that would have got back to the city much quicker, a spaceship that is literally called a "Firespray-31-class patrol and attack craft".  FFS.

It was clumsy, almost A-Team-ish in the action on screen.  Why were the robots shooting 5 feet into the floor in front of them?

Too many nods and winks, too many flat jokes, terrible shoot outs. All of these were a total failure of directing.

Spoiler

A giant desert palace/fortress, Boba’s gunship and Mando’s shiny Naboo fighter would all have have been more useful than a burned out nightclub and the kids from Fame. Even the farmers minibus had a gun turret that could been usefully deployed if they didn’t park and get out. Also RIP the two Gamorreans asked to secure a whole spaceport, unbelievably defeated when the enemy turned up with >2 men.

30 minutes ago, Benny said:

Hide contents

All good kids stuff. Like assassination by garotte.

Oh come on, we saw Jabba garrotted by Leia in RotJ along with a dancer being fed to a Rancor and people falling into a horrific Sarlaacc death! 

5 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

I hope this doesn't get a second series but I do hope the Mandalorian does.

I am willing to bet anyone £1000 that Disney makes a season 2 of the Mandalorian.

The itz for da kidz excuse doesn't really work for me. For starters I'd say they're going for a family market like the original Star Wars and most Marvel stuff. It's hardly Cbeebies. Also aiming at a younger audience doesn't automatically do away with any need for quality, Monsters Inc and Shark's Tale are both aimed at the same demographic yet there's a clear difference in how good they are. The Mandalorian was aimed squarely at the same bracket as this and most people of all kinds of ages loved that whilst this is getting dunked on up and down the internet and not just on Rllmuk. I think it's clear that there's a gulf in writing and directing between the two series. What's interesting to me is seeing how many of the old prequel defence arguments are being brought out of storage. It's not for you it's for children. It's deliberately a bit crap because it's harkening back to classic old time serials (so was Raiders of the Lost Ark and Crystal Skull, I think most people could see a difference between those two films though).

45 minutes ago, LyonJacques said:

Hide contents

Also RIP the two Gamorreans asked to secure a whole spaceport without guns, unbelievably defeated when the enemy turned up with >2 men.

FTFY