IGNORED

The Book of Boba Fett - December 2021, Disney +

Captain Kelsten

Joan Jett and the Mos Vespas were godawful. 

Chewblakka was cool until he had to run, then he ran like a man who can’t find his car in the car park. 

The desk clerk in the mayor’s office looked like someone had ordered Djin djarin off Wish. 

When the mayor's assistant did the world's most obvious ploy and exited stage left while they stood there like goobers, I'm surprised they didn’t ADR on some running feet and engine starting sound effects like an episode of The Simpsons.

Overall I'm enjoying it, there are some bits I could happily live without though.

The flashback scenes, especially those with the sandpeople have been brilliant.

Can't say the same for the Mayor's assistant and the street gang who look like a cross between the BMX Bandits and these guys:

spacer.png

Weird old show this. I wasn't a great fan of the first series of Mando but at least it always had The Child storyline there to drive it on. This just feels like Boba walking about the same few places not really doing much. The flashbacks are by far the most interesting thing happening and they seem to be becoming less and less of a feature, probably because trying to drive two storylines forward in a slow paced 34 minute show doesn't really work. Also basically all of the action is terrible? I kind of felt that way for a lot of season 1 of Mando but they totally nailed it in season 2 so I was hopeful for this. It's just all... so... slow. And the tone's about as consistent as Boba's teeth are with the rest of his face. 

Strange old show as I say. I think it still has potential but they need to make it feel like it's actually going somewhere pretty bloody sharpish, and I don't mean the mayor's office again. 

Just caught up with ep3 of this, and agree, that chase scene is awful. Jerky and slow. They could all have been driving milkfloats it had so little jeopardy.

One thing I thought happened on Mandalorian between watching the US and International releases is that they seemed to have touched up some of the worse SFX from S1, but I might have imagined it. Maybe they’ll revisit this, because it’s Scorpion King levels of poor.

Was there ever an explanation as to why it is called 'The Book of Boba Fett'?

Seems an odd title for a tv show.  Is the idea that it is meant to be a one of spin-off from Mandalorian & we will be getting others such as 'The Book of Bo Katan' etc, or are there plans for future seasons?

4 hours ago, Waggo said:

Was there ever an explanation as to why it is called 'The Book of Boba Fett'?

Seems an odd title for a tv show.  Is the idea that it is meant to be a one of spin-off from Mandalorian & we will be getting others such as 'The Book of Bo Katan' etc, or are there plans for future seasons?

I think it is trying to distract us from the fact that the entire plot was originally written on a napkin. 

Oh no. This feels like the kiss of death right here;

The Book of Boba Fett star Ming-Na Wen has teased the spin-off's upcoming finale, saying fans will see the whole show "in a different light" once it arrives on Disney Plus.

"I really hope that they want to go back and see the whole thing over again in a different light after, you know, knowing how things have–I'm so careful with my words here, how things have evolved, and all these other elements that have come into play.

"You know, that's what's so great with [producers] Jon [Favreau] and Dave [Filioni]. They are so knowledgeable about this world, about Star Wars, and they're such huge fans that they know how to set up the pieces and make moves that you don't even know are coming."

She continued: "And then suddenly it's like [claps her hands together] ooh, checkmate. So yeah, we're waiting. We're waiting for that win. We're waiting for that hit. And not just 'til the very last episode, like each and every episode there's new moves and new elements that come into play that hopefully will surprise the fans. I know it surprised me."

I don't recall ever seeing something where this sort of thing promised and it actually delivered anything of real merit, let alone made me re-evaluate my opinions.

On 16/01/2022 at 10:51, Harsin said:

I think half the problem with this show is that they already effectively made a Boba Fett show in The Mandalorian, about a dude in palette swapped armour and his bounty hunting adventures slowly going from a stone cold figure to caring about something. So they don’t want to retread that but it feels like they didn’t have much idea what to replace it with beyond a vague striking teaser image of what if Boba Fett was sat on Jabba’s throne.

I think they know what they need to do, it’s just bloody expensive. So decide not to.

Ie doing some bounty hunting , murder on a grand scale with an epic story playing out over multiple seasons. Something to get invested in. A love interest. Real characters with emotion….factions post Jedi…..the start of the fucking first order if you absolutely have to

not more bloody fetch quests in the sand 🤷

I’m pretty sure that the Star Wars creative well has now run drier than the Lars’ moisture farm a few weeks after the stormtroopers popped round for a BBQ.

I’m now fully expecting Obi-Wan Kenobi (or, as my young nephew has it, ‘Obi Wonkey Donkey’) will make The Book of Boba look like Lawrence of Arabia.

Watched the first three episodes episodes of this:

Episode 1 started out very shakily. The fight with the shields and electric pike things looked weird and awkward as well. If they were supposed to be assassins then like I dunno, make the electricity in the things repeatedly prodding them with actually lethal? Still, it had some interesting things set up.

Episode 2 was far far better. It felt like a good episode of Mandalorian basically. The whole learning to live with Tuskens, then the excitingly done train heist sequence with characters involved it's made you care about. All great.

Episode 3: what the ever loving fuck. And what are those punk kids out of a different universe supposed to be. Bobba wanders around being a weak ass motherfucker. A wild Danny Trejo appears for a brief fun interlude, but then it's capped by one of the worst chase scenes ever. With those kids on their completely immersion breaking Futurama hover scooter things. What the fuck are they doing?

Oh also, Bobba Fett awkwardly apologising to a bloke with a robo eye when he says to keep an eye on someone, in case they took offense. What. Fett has gone soft, or is an impostor. The script has been quite bad honestly.

2 hours ago, jonamok said:

(or, as my young nephew has it, ‘Obi Wonkey Donkey’)

(Completely OT)

That’s fantastic, rivals my daughter’s attempt at one of the Beatles names: Paul McCurtains.

9 hours ago, jonamok said:

I’m pretty sure that the Star Wars creative well has now run drier than the Lars’ moisture farm a few weeks after the stormtroopers popped round for a BBQ.

I’m now fully expecting Obi-Wan Kenobi (or, as my young nephew has it, ‘Obi Wonkey Donkey’) will make The Book of Boba look like Lawrence of Arabia.

They’ve already used a lot of the more logical beats that would have worked in Obi Wan for Mando and Fett, which leaves much less logical ones. A New Hope makes several allusions to him not having crossed paths with Vader since their duel on Mustofar, and Tarkin asserts that he thought Kenobi was dead, so as much as it would be cool to see Ewan McGregor planet hopping and tearing stuff up with his Jedi powers, it doesn’t make sense for him to be doing that during a galaxy-wide purge of his order, headed by a bloke with a particular grudge against him, having also been charged with keeping an extremely low profile and a constant eye on a very important character.

Regardless, still expecting Obi-Wan to be the Grasshopper/Incredible Hulk/A-Team character, with Qui-Gonn’s force ghost as Master Po, and Vader as McGee/Colonel Decker, always one step behind.

Obi-Wan is going to be the Star Wars version of the 70s Incredible Hulk series, with Bruce Ben drifting from place to place, taking menial jobs and trying to stay out of trouble, before getting angry whipping out his lightsaber and having to move on to the next moisture farm.

On 15/01/2022 at 09:54, Girth Certificate said:

The Obi Wan series is a terrible idea. If he didn’t spent 20 years watching over Luke and meditating as penance for his spectacular failures with Annakin then it’s totally fucked IMO

I've changed my mind, no more Tatooine please. No more.

On 17/01/2022 at 20:22, Spatial said:

Oh no. This feels like the kiss of death right here;

I don't recall ever seeing something where this sort of thing promised and it actually delivered anything of real merit, let alone made me re-evaluate my opinions.

Depends how much Filoni is involved, as I trust him to pull something like that off. Favreau or Rodriguez, not so much.

Think I prefer some Max Rebo to get me in the Star Wars mood rather than Rennie Pilgrim breakbeats. That stuff on the sail barge in Jedi was more my idea of future funk.

I'm in the mood for a dab of whizz at about ten mins in though.

Hip.

Definitely still smacks of 'when you asked for Dirty Harry, but got Inspector George Gently'.

That said, I did enjoy

Spoiler

the couple of fakeouts in this ep, namely:

- when he decides to see the sarlaac, and I thought 'lol, casual strafing run incoming, the revenge continues', then he didnt, then they're forced to deal with it anyway.

- when I was like 'yo, that wookie is gonna rip your arms off', then he hesitated for a moment, then ripped one arm off. Fair.

Well this thread isn't exactly a beacon of activity like most new Star Wars/Marvel stuff. I think they've proper fucked it. 

I was going to watch tonight but I might just watch some more JoJo instead.