IGNORED

The Book of Boba Fett - December 2021, Disney +

Captain Kelsten

1 hour ago, Harsin said:

I think the thing that’s making the Wookiee go from woah badass to seem a bit lame now is that they decided to have the kids from Fame give him a run for his money.

They could have at least have him rip a robot arm off one of them or something so there would be some consequence to the fight and maintain his status as a threat. 

7 hours ago, Monkeyboy said:

Yeah, he doesn't feel like much of a threat now. I suppose they have limits on what they can show, what with it being Star Wars, but that fight would have been a bloodbath. Heads squished like grapes, guts torn asunder, Boba's man boobs exploding....

Booby Fett. Hehe.

I think something that doesn't help is that there's something about Robert Rodriguez's direction in this episode that feels a bit off and cheap (beyond stuff like how laughably bad that chase scene was). I remember some complaints about the episode of the Mandalorian he did (the one where Boba Fett was introduced) feeling a bit fan filmish. I'm not sure what it is, I don't think it’s a budget episode as it kinda feels weirdly very expensive and cheap at the exact same time in parts, someone who knows more about cinematography and editing than me could probably explain in better. Did he direct the last episode because that one was fine.

Rubbish episode. My enthiusiasm for the series has plummeted.

The Hutts gave Fett a Rancor, then advised him to leave the planet. Why did they choose a Rancor as a gift, then? Am I missing some specific meaning in that gift, or was it just not thought through?

Also, why have the Hutts just decided to give up their ambitions for Tatooine after trying to take over Fett's territory last week? That, combined with the Tuskens (or most of them) being prematurely killed off (and offscreen), feels like the most interesting plot elements suddenly fizzling out.

Also, how did the Wookie just walk into Fett's bedroom? That makes Fett and his lackeys look like idiots. I know it's a big palace, and Fett's crew must be rattling around in there, but some mention of them at least trying to secure the place wouldn't have gone amiss. Or let's at least see the Wookie do something clever or unusual to get into the building. And why didn't Fett give his crew at least a bollocking for the security lapse? And this is the second time now that Fett's had to be rescued from death by his assistants.

In the flashbacks, Boba is impressive. In the "current" timeline, overall he just seems very passive, naive and rather incompetent. I get that they want to make Boba a non-bastard in this series, and I like redemption stories, but being compassionate doesn't have to mean incompetent.

The Hutt’s are supposed to be so scared of the Pikes (those dudes who were running the train last week and you saw getting off a spaceship at the end of this one) that they nope out of the place when they find out they have designs on Tatooine. The Pikes are supposed to be this absolutely massive space mafia and they featured in the Clone Wars cartoon a lot.

Ah OK, I see. I don't know that - I thought they were just a local gang and no match for the Hutts. Given that some of them came to the planet this episode, I guess I should have inferred that.

The gift of the Rancor still seems odd, though.

5 minutes ago, abc said:

Ah OK, I see. I don't know that - I thought they were just a local gang and no match for the Hutts. Given that some of them came to the planet this episode, I guess I should have inferred that.

The gift of the Rancor still seems odd, though.

Admittedly the fearsome space mafia are probably going to be undermined a bit when they're owned by old man Fett, two fat pig men and some Hollyoaks rejects. But they already have a history of being given the run around by plucky teens from that last batch of Clone Wars cartoons they did.

Among things I'd bitch about on the internet, the whole confrontation at the palace gates was rubbish.  Jabba's palace used to feel like it it was in the middle of the desert. Now it feels like an out of town trailer park people resent having to visit.

When the 

Spoiler

Wookie

left via screen right, he looked like a grumpy teen slouching off to the nearest bus stop, which was just off camera.

Rodriguez is a bit crap really. When his films work, it's due to raw enthusiasm.

I mean fuck it, 45 minutes of my day once a week, not really expecting much. Is what it is, a reaffirmation that Boba Fett is the most ridiculously overrated character in all of the Star Wars. And to be fair if we are gonna be stuck on drab sandy Tatooine again and again, at least they are bringing us some primary colours this time.

Hopefully he’s gonna proper smash some shit up in the future with his new gang of street kids

918F4710-9FFD-409B-843D-AB4CF342DBA5.jpeg

On 13/01/2022 at 12:58, Boothjan said:

Is it just me who thought episode 3 was awesome then...? :lol:

I wouldn't go that far but I definitely found it an ejoyable watch. It's hardly The Expanse but I had a good time with it. Fennec Shand is one of the better new SW characters.

I was faintly amused by the Mos Vespa guy doing his best low key spying on the Pikes by parking a few feet away from them on his bright red scooter and then communicating his secret update to Boba Fett on a jukebox video thing that was stuck to a wall on a busy street

302230245_Screenshot2022-01-14at11_55_11.thumb.png.6917a59c69d5d851b614b8ad9448438b.png

The big issue I have with this show so far is how much it just apes the Mandalorian's formula. When Mando first dropped it felt like a fairly refreshing take on Star Wars, and was likely a bit of a risk. It's like they saw what a success that was and just went- 'more of the same then?'. I feel like it shouldn't be so painfully clear that the money men are making all of your creative choices and yet here we are.

I don't think anyone with any character development nous had much to do with squeezing Fett club 7 into the show, definitely marketing. Suppose Star Wars has always been fairly compromised by merchandising and demographic choices, right back to the OT, but at least old George tried to keep it fairly relevant. The choice of that lot in this reeks of on high wanting an in with the kids or teens. "We've got the middle aged man buying toys sewn up but we need to boost metrics amongst the youth" "What's hot that we can plonk in?" cue a room full of desperados brainstorming and somehow coming up with that bunch. I mean them being young and having bright scooters is the only in that I can figure, it's certainly not the Vespa angle, maybe they thought that would help with the oldies digging it. Don't see them appealing to any group in a big way. 

It's pure marketing and I wouldn't be surprised if they have a finger hovering over the mass tat production button. Think they won't bother to press it once the feedback from all demographics is in. Hope they didn't waste too much on Black Series scooter moulds. They had an across the board money maker in mini Yoda and would very much like more of the same, they want toys to be desired by the kids and not just muppets like me who'll probably be dead before their sales forecast spreadsheet's final page (it's laid out in decades, probably)

Just wish sales of merch etc didn't compromise artistic endeavour in such overt ways. Needs more finesse and CIA tactics of insertion to win big with people, not just some obvious checklist. Or god forbid, great ideas and stories that enamour people.

I mean yeah, the scooter gang were a bit cringey but the amount of "worst thing in Star Wars" kind of complaining is over playing it somewhat when Attack of the Clones still exists. The gang themselves were fine, the scooters were a garrish and didn't look like they belonged and the chase was dull, it was a typical "middle of first season" episode really.

Setting the adventures of a (former) intergalactic bounty hunter completely on bloody Tatooine feels like a spectacular misfire, especially when you're following it up with an Obi-Wan series. Hopefully Ben will get to stretch his legs off-world from time to time.

15 minutes ago, DeciderVT said:

Setting the adventures of a (former) intergalactic bounty hunter completely on bloody Tatooine feels like a spectacular misfire, especially when you're following it up with an Obi-Wan series. Hopefully Ben will get to stretch his legs off-world from time to time.

It'll just be Ben in his hut for 6 episodes.  He'll wander out of view, they'll be loud clattering noises and he'll wander back in and will have aged ever so slightly.  By the end the run McGregor will have aged enough to match Alex Guinness.