Escape rooms at home

It’s my son’s birthday soon, and obviously most fun activities we’d go and do are off limits at the moment (he would go wild for Arcade Club Leeds, for example).

He fancied doing an escape room, but these are also closed here in Tier 3. However, Escape Hunt do a bunch of paid-for print-and-play things. 

I’ve also noticed you can buy them too, even on the fabled middle aisle at Aldi.

Does anyone have any experience of them? Any good? Some better than others?

Escape The Room: Mystery of the Stargazers Mansion and its sister game Dr Gravelys Retreat are the best I've played. Better than the Unlock and Exit games I've tried (though they were still good).

Not sure if they're widely in circulation now but eBay is definitely an option. 

My wife and I have played a couple of the Exit games: Dead Man on the Orient Express and The Pharaoh’s Tomb. We enjoyed both of them.

They are single-play experiences by design, meaning you are encouraged to cut up, tear, and draw on pieces, but given their relatively low cost I think they are pretty good value for an evening's entertainment.

I've got pretty much everybody in my family Exit: The Abandoned Cabin for Christmas, with the aim of us all posting our scores\ times to Whatsapp when done. We all did a real one together on my brothers 40th a few years ago and vowed to do it for my 40th....which was last week, and there was no hope of that happening thanks to Covid. 

I've looked into Unlock as well as a series, which has the benefit of being reusable unlike Exit, but the reviews suggest it is a bit more hit and miss with quality. If we enjoy Exit I might pick up a set though.

On this exploration of home escape rooms I also ended up buying Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Baker Street Irregulars, which is supposed to be good too. Appreciate it isn't an escape room, but it's similarly a play-once experience for each case. Unfortunately it's a Christmas present for somebody so I'll have to wait and see if it is successful...and if so I may end up buying it for myself! 

12 hours ago, Pelekophoros said:

Escape The Room: Mystery of the Stargazers Mansion and its sister game Dr Gravelys Retreat are the best I've played. Better than the Unlock and Exit games I've tried (though they were still good).

Not sure if they're widely in circulation now but eBay is definitely an option. 

I'll second that.

The unlock games are good if you're more seasoned because you get get them a bit cheaper and they're reusable.

I've only tried one of the Exit games so far but it was decent, in the middle of the other two!

• 3 weeks later...
On 17/12/2020 at 20:11, PeteJ said:

I've got pretty much everybody in my family Exit: The Abandoned Cabin for Christmas, with the aim of us all posting our scores\ times to Whatsapp when done. We all did a real one together on my brothers 40th a few years ago and vowed to do it for my 40th....which was last week, and there was no hope of that happening thanks to Covid. 

I've looked into Unlock as well as a series, which has the benefit of being reusable unlike Exit, but the reviews suggest it is a bit more hit and miss with quality. If we enjoy Exit I might pick up a set though.

On this exploration of home escape rooms I also ended up buying Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Baker Street Irregulars, which is supposed to be good too. Appreciate it isn't an escape room, but it's similarly a play-once experience for each case. Unfortunately it's a Christmas present for somebody so I'll have to wait and see if it is successful...and if so I may end up buying it for myself! 

So my girlfriend and I tried Exit: The Abandoned Cabin and it suitably kicked our arses. 

We had a bit of a nightmare with the kids (we played new years eve), couldn't get them to bed and then they kept on waking up. So didn't start until gone 10pm, having been woken up at 5am, and had multiple interruptions on the way, including having to move the whole game upstairs so we could be near to them. Bless.

Anyway that's my excuses, we took 2 hours 30.  We actually solved the concept of most of the puzzles quite easily but ended up over thinking the implementation, which left us scratching our heads. At several points we knew how to solve a puzzle but were missing a vital clue, which came later in the game. That was quite frustrating as one puzzle in particular there was no way of knowing a card was missing. This lead us to a lot of time wasted and taking unnecessary clues.  The thought of destroying the game as you went was quite appealing, but in reality you only change a small amount and could quite easily play the game without destroying anything. 

However, we will be trying another. It's very satisfying solving the puzzles and now we understand the concept better we feel we could do much, much better. Not sure which to get but they aren't expensive to try and it made a nice change for a couple of hours. 

• 1 month later...

Last night we did Exit: The Sunken Treasure and we thought it was great. It's a more recent release in than the Abandoned Cabin we started with, and we felt the puzzles were more playful and enjoyable to solve. It was certainly easier than the first one but knowing how these games work certainly helped. Only one puzzle stumped us but frustratingly it turned out we were on the right lines and had solved the hard bit, just missed the easy step. 

Took just shy of 2 hours (where does the time go!?) with two clues taken. 

I assume there will be diminishing returns with these games, with puzzles or themes repeating, but so far they've both felt unique and engaging. For around £15 for two hours of entertainment they are quite good value as well, though it's a shame they essentially destroyed after use so we can't share it with others.