Wonderful Dizzy - Out December 18th For The ZX Spectrum

37 minutes ago, Camel said:

Well that sucks in many ways. a) people whining about Next exclusivity (why complain when something is more widely available?) b) whoever is responsible for the Next games website marking the game as cancelled without speaking to the developers c) the developers deciding 'fine, we'll cancel it then'.

Why is retro gaming subject to so much childish behaviour?

There's two sides to it I guess.

Yes you're right that everyone gets to enjoy a new Dizzy game, but it's quite possible the announcement on Kickstarter of it being exclusive may have pushed some to buying the NEXT. It's understandable they're annoyed and no one has really made it super clear what was going on.

The Next is even mentioned in a recent interview we did with the coders, so it's a shame about the new stance. 

I'd be very surprised if a single person forked out for a Next just so they could play a Dizzy game.

More importantly, even if they did, they were still going to get their Next Dizzy game before this latest fuckery.

So what if there is also a 128k version of the game? What difference does that make?

9 minutes ago, Camel said:

So what if there is also a 128k version of the game? What difference does that make?

I'm an Amstrad fanboy. I have no horse in this race.

We'll review the game and report on this when the opportunity arises. I'm just saying I can see why people would get upset.

There's been arguments about retro for over 30 years. They just weren't retro back then.

If you buy a piece of hardware that doesn't exist on the basis of a game that's in the very early stages of development, then surely you have to acknowledge the possibility that it might end up being shit, or might be released on a platform you already own, or might not be released at all?

It boggles the mind that an adult might find themselves hurling abuse at the developers of Dizzy. I mean, I can think of some situations where that would be justified (i.e. some of the design decisions in Treasure Island Dizzy), but generally speaking, if you're considering kicking off at the people who made a free Dizzy game because it didn't come out on your special MegaSpectrum, then you should also consider having a quiet lie down in a dimly lit room and thinking about where you've gone wrong.

40 minutes ago, Camel said:

If you can see why people would get upset, can you try to put it into words? Because it baffles me.

People get invested I guess. There's a tremendous amount of tribalism in the retro community and the playground bickering of the Eighties continues to this day.

John Walker's piece about Cyberpunk mentioned the reassurance that some gamers feel when they get heavily invested in a game, and there's no reason why that can't apply to older games too.

It's a tremendous shame that the devs have received such abuse, but unfortunately, that's the entitled world we live in and it only gets amplified online.

Yeah, this seems to have been a real mess of miscommunication. I've just read the statement from the developers:

I would like to clarify our position and plans on ZX Spectrum Next version of Wonderful Dizzy. Wonderful Dizzy was published on 18.12 for free in form of version made for ZX Spectrum 128.
However, there have been some false expectations from the ZX Spectrum Next owners: for unknown reasons the game was marked as exclusive in ZX Spectrum Next's campaign's stretch goal description.

We have never discussed the exclusive model within our team. Quite contrary, from the very first letter we and The Oliver Twins have agreed upon making the version capable of running on original ZX Spectrum 128. Somewhere in the beginning of the development the idea has appeared to make a separated Next's version which would support some set of Next's features.
Most likely, the supported features would have been:
* Background graphics recolored with ULANext extended palette colors with some minor changes.
* 6-channel music
* Clashing-free sprites.
* No additional tape loadings ingame.

We have made some tests already almost two years ago:
* Evgeniy has made an early test version of engine for clashing-free movement. This was put on hold because of the numerous Next's firmware changes of that time.
* Jarrod has made a colourful Dizzy's sprite for usage Next's sprites system.

However, since we had some problems in development process non-related to ZX Spectrum or game itself, the release took us 2 years more than we thought. This means that we have agreed to release anything as soon as its ready without keeping people waiting for some artificial reasons. Since 128 version got ready first, we have released it first. There was no change of plans in producing and releasing ZX Spectrum Next version after original 128.

As a result, we've got a literal shitstorm of whining and complaining in social networks. Kickstarter campaign backers have started to complain about non-exclusiveness of the Next's version. We've tried to explain and clarify as much as we could, but we have got no interest in pursuiting every forum and every twitter post with our clarifications. We (and The Oliver Twins as well!) have not invented that exclusiveness, so we are not the ones to blame for the false expectations of original campaign backers.

Today we have also noticed that the official Next's website is stating our game as "cancelled". Please see the attached screenshot.
Nobody has contacted us and asked for our plans regarding Next's version. Nobody has discussed exclusiveness with us or The Oliver Twins directly from the Next team. The statement has just appeared for unknown reason with some strange manual text below.

As a result, we (Dmitri Ponomarjov and Evgeniy Barskiy) would like to state that starting from today we totally agree with the cancelled status of ZX Spectrum Next's version of Wonderful Dizzy. After all this mess we don't really retain any interest in making a version with support of ZX Spectrum Next's features.
We are very thankful to The Oliver Twins for a great opportunity on working together, for a really pleasant collaboration and an outstanding result game. We have done everything totally for free (except the early dev board we've received in the beginning of the project), this is a game from friends to friends, and we owe Next's community nothing. All our agreed obligations to Kickstarter campaign backers have been fullfilled by now.

So that's that then....

It could just be a knee jerk reaction to some shitty comments but they seem legitimately upset, which I guess is fair enough given they've just delivered the first new Dizzy game in 30 years at no cost and they've been on the receiving end of a load of aggro for their trouble.

I didn't personally see any of the comments, but I can imagine there were some Next backers who would have been justifiably miffed that their promised, exclusive Dizzy game had been sidelined in favour of a vanilla 128k game.

Henrique seems like a genuinely good guy and I'm sure he's acted in good faith. Maybe he'll hit Baggers up for his long hinted at follow up to Midnight Resistance as a replacement.

6 minutes ago, Camel said:

But tribalism that extends to wanting a game to appear on the Spectrum Next and to NOT appear on standard issue ZX Spectrums? Isn't that a bit ... weird?

Yeah, anyone who's legit upset that there's a 128k version at all can go howl at the moon, I think the upset comes from people looking forward to a nice new game to showcase the Next (as let's be honest, it's been pretty slow on that front) and the disappointment of that not materialising.

1 hour ago, Camel said:

Sounds as though the Next version was next on the cards though, in spite of the communication cock-ups. Now, because of some whiny divs, it'll never happen. Good work guys.

My understanding is that it wouldn't have necessarily featured all-new visuals, but colour clash etc would have been eliminated. Like you said, it's a shame it's no longer happening because of some angry keyboard warriors.

28 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

I've got another can of worms here, not sure if I should open it. But on the side it says "Remember the Olivers don't even technically own the rights to Dizzy. That's Codemasters, or, as of this week, rather, EA."

My understanding is that there's an agreement with Codemasters that allows games like this to be made providing there is no charge, or any potential profits go to charity. The deal with EA isn't finalised until March, so maybe things might change then (so there's three months for Blaze to get a licence for Micro Machines).

I think the Dizzy IP is a 50/50 split (although that may change once EA become involved).

38 minutes ago, strider said:

My understanding is that there's an agreement with Codemasters that allows games like this to be made providing there is no charge, or any potential profits go to charity. The deal with EA isn't finalised until March, so maybe things might change then (so there's three months for Blaze to get a licence for Micro Machines).

I think the Dizzy IP is a 50/50 split (although that may change once EA become involved).

Actually there is no 50/50 split, the IP is 100 per cent Codies ... But I think you are right that there is an agreement in place that lets them use it. 

37 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

Actually there is no 50/50 split, the IP is 100 per cent Codies ... But I think you are right that there is an agreement in place that lets them use it. 

I'm just going on what the Olivers told me, you've got a far better understanding than me due to your Antstream background. I believe you're likely to be right. 

Philip Oliver posted this on FB:

Regarding Wonderful Dizzy - who knew that so much effort given freely to could lead to upset?

Sadly it’s come to our attention that there are now negative comments on social media directed at Henrique and the amazing team behind Spectrum Next regarding the confusion around if Wonderful Dizzy was to be exclusive to Spectrum Next or not. We really don’t like this and only wanted to spread fun with a new Dizzy game that was produced entirely for free by everyone involved and given away for free.

An innocent mistake was made using the word ‘exclusive’, which seemed minor at the time and may have in fact been true, since when written it was a prediction of the future, but this seems to have really upset a small minority. 

When we made the decision to support the classic Spectrum 128k first, followed by the Next version, it was made for technical reasons, and we did so thinking it was good to spread more fun not to upset anyone. Those that backed the Kickstarter made it happen. We want to give a big thank you to them, without their support for the Kickstarter campaign nobody would have got Spectrum NEXTs, all the amazing new games on the platform or a new Dizzy game. We know that the vast majority of people are fine with this.

So, to those few who are angry and writing negative comments about the dev team, us, Henrique or the people behind Spectrum Next – please don’t. Everyone has done an amazing job and you have all these people to thank for that. If a bunch of other people who did not back the campaign, for their own financial reasons, also got to play a new Dizzy game for free, please free good about the fact that you helped give them joy.
It's Christmas, a time of love, giving and forgiveness. 
Wishing you all the very best, and a Happy New Year.
Philip (& Andrew)

The Olivers really are the nicest, sweetest people in retro gaming. Even when I met them in a professional capacity and we were together purely to get a job done, they were so friendly and happy just to sit around and chat , full of lovely stories and even when the moral of those stories were basically "we got shafted", there was no bitterness or sense that they regretted anything. They had an amazing career making games and were very successful at what they did and that was enough for them. At the time (and now too, I guess) they were basically working for Rebellion after it had bought their company and they were telling me how comfortable it is to just be making games and have someone else take care of all the business stuff, even if it meant that potentially they were making less money than if they published games themselves. I'm not surprised at all they would stick up for the Next team, after all as they say it was only a small mistake in the grand scheme of things and probably just down to whoever was running their marketing at the time (Henrique I guess) getting a bit overexcited about a new Dizzy game. I said earlier in the the thread that the Olivers told me specifically that it wasn't going to be a Next exclusive and that they had never told the Next team it would be.  But they didn't say they had told the Next team specifically that it wouldn't be an exclusive. So I'm happy to believe it was just a case of crossed wires.

Anyway I feel really bad that the nastiness has overshadowed something that I am sure the Olivers are very proud they've done. So I'm not going to talk about that side of things again. 

Wonderful Dizzy - it's difficult for someone like me who has difficulty remembering the layout of a large map (and can't be bothered to do it on pen and paper). Lots of bits where progression is trial and error, because you have no idea which of the many branching paths you need to take next. Your mission always feels like it is to find places to use items, purely so you have room in your inventory to pick up more items. So much fun to explore though and nothing seems so difficult that it will put me off finishing it eventually, when I get time to sit down and work it out properly. 

I'm stuck. :lol:

Spoilers for what is presumably quite late in the game:

Spoiler

I've just thrown the bucket of water over the witch to no avail, I've used the key in the clocktower and it's done... nothing, I've got a sword from the pirate... which I can't find a use for. I've rescued the donkey and returned the wand but I'm really a bit lost now. I have no idea how you're supposed to get to that eye in the cavern or what the heck that disappearing shopkeeper in the toy shop was all about!

It's reached that point where I'm trying to use a clock on a piece of rock. How are others finding it? The map is really well designed. It packs in a lot of places without it feeling like a chore to navigate. The new ability to walk to places in and out of the foreground really helps with that and is keeping the map tight and easier to navigate.

The jokes are fun, the puzzles have all made sense and it's just great to be back in that world again. Evolution not revolution, but ultimately that's what I was hoping for, I don't think anybody would have thanked them if they'd have made his grand return into something unexpected.