Wonderful Dizzy - Out December 18th For The ZX Spectrum

Robo_1

56 minutes ago, gone fishin' said:

So I guess the Oliver twins were lying when they did this video announcing Dizzy on the Next if the Kickstarter campaign hit the stretch goal?

Hasn't aged well, has it? A video promoting the launch of the Next Kickstarter with the promise of an new Dizzy game for the Next should it hit the stretch goal, except now we've got a vanilla Spectrum game with no Next version in sight. Looking back, it kind of feels like mis-selling, doesn't it?

What's worse is on the Wonderful Dizzy page there's a list of testers

So you've got the Next team as part of the testers, but it's actually just a standard Spectrum game and nobody thought of telling the backers that the stretch goal of an exclusive Dizzy game for the Next isn't actually happening? It's great there's a new Dizzy game, but as a backer of the original Next kickstarter, it's just another in a long line of disappointments. It didn't even have to be exclusive on the Next, just get rid of the colour clash and that would have been good enough. 

I can't watch that video at the moment, but do they say the game will be exclusive to the Next? Or just that it will work on the Next? Because only one of those statements would be a lie. 

It’s the bollocks that specifically  @Camel always replies with to any of my posts is why I don’t post here anymore.  

I can’t be arsed getting into an argument about a Dizzy game, but I don’t know maybe the title “A new Dizzy game for the Next” along with the Oliver Twins saying “if the Kickstarter stretch goal is met, they’ll release a new Dizzy game for the Next” is enough?  Maybe they didn’t say “exclusively” for the Next, but it was promised as an exclusive Next game as a stretch goal, the Oliver twins did a video about it being on the Next and here we are and it’s NOT being released on the Next. It’s a Spectrum game.

Anyway I’m sure you’ll be glad to lose another poster on this forum. 
I’m out.

4 hours ago, gone fishin' said:

It’s the bollocks that specifically  @Camel always replies with to any of my posts is why I don’t post here anymore.  

I can’t be arsed getting into an argument about a Dizzy game, but I don’t know maybe the title “A new Dizzy game for the Next” along with the Oliver Twins saying “if the Kickstarter stretch goal is met, they’ll release a new Dizzy game for the Next” is enough?  Maybe they didn’t say “exclusively” for the Next, but it was promised as an exclusive Next game as a stretch goal, the Oliver twins did a video about it being on the Next and here we are and it’s NOT being released on the Next. It’s a Spectrum game.

Anyway I’m sure you’ll be glad to lose another poster on this forum. 
I’m out.

:lol:

I didn't even reply to one of your posts and I'm pretty certain I answered Anne Summers' question accurately. It's given you something else to moan about though. Silver linings and all that.

What's the best way of getting this onto my real Speccy +2a?

I've tried the phone loading thing - but never seems to work. Not sure if it's because I'm using the wrong cable . Actually thinking about it I think I tried it on my Plus (now confirmed as non-working) - not even sure how I would get it into the +2a.

I have a tape recorder deck , and some cassettes I could in theory record onto, I think, if I knew how to get the data across.

Anyone got an idiot's guide to doing this?

3 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

What's the best way of getting this onto my real Speccy +2a?

I've tried the phone loading thing - but never seems to work. Not sure if it's because I'm using the wrong cable . Actually thinking about it I think I tried it on my Plus (now confirmed as non-working) - not even sure how I would get it into the +2a.

I have a tape recorder deck , and some cassettes I could in theory record onto, I think, if I knew how to get the data across.

Anyone got an idiot's guide to doing this?

You could put the file on your phone/computer, the headphone jack into a tape recorder's input, play it back with one of the apps designed to do that, and try recording directly onto cassette. This will likely take a significant amount of messing about with volume settings to make it work properly.

If you're interested in playing games on a real Spectrum the best bet is to get hold of something like a DivMMC as tapes are far more trouble than they are worth when it comes to getting data on them.

1 hour ago, Camel said:

:lol:

I didn't even reply to one of your posts and I'm pretty certain I answered Anne Summers' question accurately. It's given you something else to moan about though. Silver linings and all that.

No but almost every time I’ve made a post in the retro forum, you’ve had a dig at me. That’s the exact reason why I haven’t contributed in here regularly, apart from when someone has needed help - eg @Anne Summers with the Spectrum questions.

Once again, I make a post and you have a dig about it. Maybe because you didn’t quote me you think it’s not aimed at me. It clearly is. 

And @Camel that is why this will be my last post in the retro forum. I’m not going to report you on harassing me, but I hope you take enjoyment with one less active contributor in a forum that’s dwindled to a handful of people.

Well done.

So, Wonderful Dizzy then...

Had a few goes at this today, it's still fun. The "humour" starts to grate after a while, slightly too knowing and "colour clash wink wink", I don't remember the old Dizzy games having this sort of thing going on. Also loads of items to collect but only found a few places to use them so far so generally walking around with a stuffed inventory and unable to pick up the new things I come across. But I guess that's part of the Dizzy charm. 

Hey, @gone fishin' this community would be all the poorer for your lack of involvement, I hope you'll reconsider leaving! I have no idea of the history between yourself and @Camel but we're a small enough community as is, it would be a real shame if regular contributors left. At the risk of playing mother, is there any chance you two could clear the air? Life is hard enough right now and a place like this should be where we go to unwind and just enjoy our shared hobby, life really is too short for online conflict.

17 hours ago, Anne Summers said:

So, Wonderful Dizzy then...

Had a few goes at this today, it's still fun. The "humour" starts to grate after a while, slightly too knowing and "colour clash wink wink", I don't remember the old Dizzy games having this sort of thing going on. Also loads of items to collect but only found a few places to use them so far so generally walking around with a stuffed inventory and unable to pick up the new things I come across. But I guess that's part of the Dizzy charm. 

Oh that sounds familiar, haha. The first game was a devil for items and as you didn't have any inventory management you regularly had to walk the length of the map to solve puzzles. Are there any changes to the mechanics or is stuff like inventory management and the like left untouched?

As I've said, I'm keeping this as a Christmas Day treat, but if anyone else has any reviews, impressions or thoughts, then I'd love to hear them. :)

3 hours ago, Robo_1 said:

Hey, @gone fishin' this community would be all the poorer for your lack of involvement, I hope you'll reconsider leaving! I have no idea of the history between yourself and @Camel but we're a small enough community as is, it would be a real shame if regular contributors left. At the risk of playing mother, is there any chance you two could clear the air? Life is hard enough right now and a place like this should be where we go to unwind and just enjoy our shared hobby, life really is too short for online conflict.

Oh that sounds familiar, haha. The first game was a devil for items and as you didn't have any inventory management you regularly had to walk the length of the map to solve puzzles. Are there any changes to the mechanics or is stuff like inventory management and the like left untouched?

As I've said, I'm keeping this as a Christmas Day treat, but if anyone else has any reviews, impressions or thoughts, then I'd love to hear them. :)

Its very standard dizzy from what I've seen, with the exception that he can climb up and down ladders and ropes and things (and sit on the ground when you press down and he's not on a ladder).Not sure if this was in later Dizzies. 

On 18/12/2020 at 12:54, mikejenkins said:

If you're interested in playing games on a real Spectrum the best bet is to get hold of something like a DivMMC as tapes are far more trouble than they are worth when it comes to getting data on them.

From a quick gander at eBay not sure if these are available for the +2?

On 19/12/2020 at 14:14, Robo_1 said:

It’s the same old dizzy. 3 lives, 3 items, energy and so on. The structure is very good though so you’re not traipsing back and forth because you need an item.

I’m in two minds really. On the one hand it would have been nice to mechanically update the series, but on the other hand it’s exactly what people were expecting.

I’ve had a lot of fun with it.

I had an email update from the kickstarter announcing the release of the 128k version and the upcoming release of the exclusive Next version. I suppose this is why it was worded like that, the Next version is exclusive to the Next but not the only version available. 

11 hours ago, jonnyalpha said:

I had an email update from the kickstarter announcing the release of the 128k version and the upcoming release of the exclusive Next version. I suppose this is why it was worded like that, the Next version is exclusive to the Next but not the only version available. 

So you mean, like you could say that the PS4 version of Cyberpunk 2077 is a PS4 exclusive?

Well that sucks in many ways. a) people whining about Next exclusivity (why complain when something is more widely available?) b) whoever is responsible for the Next games website marking the game as cancelled without speaking to the developers c) the developers deciding 'fine, we'll cancel it then'.

Why is retro gaming subject to so much childish behaviour?

A statement from Henrique:

A Dizzy word.
Back in 2017 when the original Kickstarter campaign went live, we understood (and I believe it was the plan) that Wonderful Dizzy was a Spectrum Next exclusive project. We referred to it as such in the KS page, in the stretch goals, and generally in all posts we made back at the time.
It was only recently that we realised the game would also come out on the 128KB Speccy. There’s method to this decision: back in 2017 and 2018 the Next core and capabilities were changing a lot, often, and the Dizzy team thought best to work on the game as a 128KB first, and then focus on the Next once the platform’s features consolidated.
The main issue is that we didn’t know until a few months ago that this decision to work on the 128KB was made, and now some backers are rightly questioning the ‘exclusive’ wording we used. This questioning is absolutely correct: we did state it would be exclusive, and I particularly understood it as such. Since at the time I was the one writing pretty much all the comms and the Kickstarter page, the responsibility lands squarely on me.
So, what do we do now?
First, we need to take a step back and stop blaming the Dizzy team for this. It’s absolutely not their fault. These folks created a lovely game for the Spectrum community and, hopefully, will make a Next version of it. It’s truly unfair to direct criticism at them, and disheartening to see this taking place. The Dizzy team deserves nothing but praise for their dedication -- so please, if you have the chance, do support them with some encouraging words as a small payback for the game they made for us all, and for free. This kind of effort and passion is what keeps the Spectrum alive.
Second, I now have a debt with the original KS backers for an exclusive game. I’ll pay this debt. We’ll make a new game to take Dizzy’s place as a Next exclusive and fulfill the stretch goal. As of this morning, we’re talking about what game could it be, how it will be done, and soon I’ll update everyone on this: what game will it be and when you should expect it to be launched.
It’s Xmas, time to be merry and find nice surprises under the tree. Here is ours: we get Wonderland Dizzy for the Speccy and a new exclusive game for the Next. Hope that scratches the itch!

Henrique also replied on that forum post that @strider linked:

Super sorry for the way this issue took place. It's absolutely not right for people to complain or criticise the Dizzy team in any way, this was genuinely a miscommunication issue that is very much on me.

I've just posted a statement on the FB group about this. I didn't realise until now some people were giving Evgeniy and his team trouble for this, so I'm moving as fast as I can to try to limit the damage in the best way possible. Here's the statement:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/specnex ... 562867327/

Lastly, honestly don't know why Wonderful Dizzy was listed as 'cancelled' on the SpecNext site, this was not on purpose. In fact, just last Saturday I posted about the game to all the Kickstarter backers on the game's release at the very top of the Update, even before we announced the new accessories for the Next. This was not intentional and it's fixed now.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sp ... ts/3055758

Lastly, Evgeniy, please accept my apologies for the trouble this has caused you and your team. It shouldn't have happened and, as far as I can tell, was an honest mistake. If you look at the original Kickstarter campaign back in 2017, we did mention it was exclusive throughout, as we did believe it was as such. It was just a few months back that I learned that wasn't the case, and only now that I'm grasping the full extent of the problem.