Wonderful Dizzy - Out December 18th For The ZX Spectrum

Robo_1

It's great that it's coming out but I would have at least expected a launch on the Speccy + Kickstarter site first. Was one of the big reasons for me jumping in at the start, was very excited to follow it all but they've sent bugger all out. Not even messages to say its about to get launched.

3 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

It's great that it's coming out but I would have at least expected a launch on the Speccy + Kickstarter site first. Was one of the big reasons for me jumping in at the start, was very excited to follow it all but they've sent bugger all out. Not even messages to say its about to get launched.

Yeah, not an unreasonable expectation at all to be honest. As with most Next related games (that Rex sequel coming any day now I'm sure lol) delays are all part of the package, but as you say it is strange that this game was produced as part of the Next Kickstarter but it's the Next version which has the delay, the lack of any news from the campaign is probably an oversight but it is jarring.

Getting back to Wonderful Dizzy though, I do hope that they eventually release this as a physical product, it would be great to have all the games on the shelf together. I wonder if Codemasters (eep... who are now owned by E bloody A) are proving a hinderance to that, would they demand some sort of a cut, as I believe they still on 50% of the rights to the character.

7 minutes ago, Robo_1 said:

Getting back to Wonderful Dizzy though, I do hope that they eventually release this as a physical product, it would be great to have all the games on the shelf together. I wonder if Codemasters (eep... who are now owned by E bloody A) are proving a hinderance to that, would they demand some sort of a cut, as I believe they still on 50% of the rights to the character.

God knows but might be worth picking the Evercade collection up as that might be the last official release we get on an actual cartridge.

8 minutes ago, Yasawas said:

Forgive my naivety but this isn’t just a ROM I can buy and play on an emulator then? 

From the press release, it looks like they're following the Crystal Kingdom Dizzy release and it will just be released for free:

This has been a labour of love and no money has changed hands in its development and as such the developers are pleased to give this new Spectrum game away for free.

3 minutes ago, Yasawas said:

Good stuff, I missed that bit. Cheers! I misread the Next aspect as it being exclusive to it. 

Yeah my understanding was that it was a Next exclusive. That doesn't appear to be the case anymore, which will no doubt be disappointing to those who bought the system.

2 hours ago, strider said:

Yeah my understanding was that it was a Next exclusive. That doesn't appear to be the case anymore, which will no doubt be disappointing to those who bought the system.

I bought the system and don't understand why it would be disappointing. 

On 16/12/2020 at 07:59, Lorfarius said:

I spoke to the Olivers very shortly after it was first announced and someone connected to the Next had stated that it was going to be an exclusive. But the Olivers told me that had never been agreed and as far as they were concerned it was going to be a Speccy game.

That aside - looking forward to this! Will be great if I can find a way to play it on my proper Speccy. Since getting back into it, I really don't enjoy playing Speccy games on emulators any more. 

And I love that hand-drawn map. I think one of the Olivers drew that themselves - the one that can draw (I forget which one that is!)

When I met them they showed me a hand-drawn map they'd make back in the day for Fantasy World Dizzy, it was awesome. Love hand-drawn maps of made up places. 

As long as there is a special Next version coming, then I'm fine with that. It would have been a little cheeky to make it a stretch goal for the Next and then just release a straight up Speccy version though and as Lof says, it's very strange that the official Kickstarter channel isn't being used to keep backers in the loop about the availability of a stretch goal.

Just now, Robo_1 said:

As long as there is a special Next version coming, then I'm fine with that. It would have been a little cheeky to make it a stretch goal for the Next and then just release a straight up Speccy version though and as Lof says, it's very strange that the official Kickstarter channel isn't being used to keep backers in the loop about the availability of a stretch goal.

Did the stretch goal say it was going to be exclusive though? I know it was claimed somewhere but I can't remember where. I think it may have been something that was released when the stretch goal was hit (but not mentioned in the actual stretch goal itself on Kickstarter).

14 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

Did the stretch goal say it was going to be exclusive though? I know it was claimed somewhere but I can't remember where. I think it may have been something that was released when the stretch goal was hit (but not mentioned in the actual stretch goal itself on Kickstarter).

e60a78e635b775094c8a84953d3da29b_original.thumb.png.e549c54ed7a101c85c897305aa8f48d0.png

Aye, check out, "Make Me Dizzy" it clearly says, "made exclusively for the Next" so that's some serious porky pies they were selling there. I'm not mad, but there it is in black and white. With everything that was going on at the time, it was probably an idea that was hastily discussed before the details had really been worked out.

I actually think it's great that they've developed a vanilla version too, but I suspect this isn't a stripped down version of what they want to deliver with the Next, but the Next version will just have a few extra niceties added, which does go against the sprit of what was promised. Ah well, can't be mad, a new Dizzy game is coming out tomorrow. :D

What do you make of it so far @strider, it better be absolutely brilliant. ;)

1 hour ago, Robo_1 said:

e60a78e635b775094c8a84953d3da29b_original.thumb.png.e549c54ed7a101c85c897305aa8f48d0.png

Aye, check out, "Make Me Dizzy" it clearly says, "made exclusively for the Next" so that's some serious porky pies they were selling there. I'm not mad, but there it is in black and white. With everything that was going on at the time, it was probably an idea that was hastily discussed before the details had really been worked out.

I actually think it's great that they've developed a vanilla version too, but I suspect this isn't a stripped down version of what they want to deliver with the Next, but the Next version will just have a few extra niceties added, which does go against the sprit of what was promised. Ah well, can't be mad, a new Dizzy game is coming out tomorrow. :D

What do you make of it so far @strider, it better be absolutely brilliant. ;)

It's interesting. On the one hand it doesn't seem to do anything at all to stretch the Dizzy template (unless the duck button was in later games and I can't remember it) which feels a little like a missed opportunity. On the other hand is has some good puzzles, a lovely theme and it's very, very funny in places (well it made me chuckle). It's hard to ignore that it's completely free too. Overall it's a thumbs up (hidden inside a boxing glove) from me.

@Robo_1 I was going to post that Stretch Goal commitment.

I noticed that they're closing down the spectrum next games website and moving it all to specnext.com, so this page must have been created fairly recently. 

https://www.specnext.com/software/?title=95

Wonderful Dizzy is a new game directed by the Oliver Twins, creators of the original Dizzy series, and produced by Dmitri & the Crystal Kingdom Dizzy Spectrum remake team. This new Dizzy title will be made exclusively for the Spectrum Next, taking advantage of its features, graphics modes and sound. It’s incredible to have such a special game, which in many ways defined the original Spectrum, announced for the Next.

yet the video on the page is clearly a Spectrum based one, colour clash and all.

Just checking my Kickstarter updates and in June this one came from Henrique, in what was the final update.

Wonderful Dizzy

The wonderful Oliver Twins posted recently about their new Dizzy game for the Spectrum Next, with the update that they’re cracking on with it and development is progressing. Check out the latest screenshot they’ve shared…

However, the screenshot in the update looks like a Spectrum version.

The question is. Is this even being developed or released on the Next? There's no mention of the Next version on the yolk folk website. Every screenshot or video I've seen so far is the Spectrum version - including on the specnext website and Next kickstarter update.

The worrying thing is that none of those promised stretch goal games have been delivered. Nodes of Yesod, Dreamworld Pogie, No Fate, Rex Next and now Wonderful Dizzy looks like it's a Spectrum only game. It does make you wonder a) why the developers chose the Spectrum over the Next (maybe easier as it's using their existing engine) and b) just how much attention the Next team are even paying to their own updates. Like I said, the Kickstarter update from Henrique looks essentially like the Spectrum version and definitely not taking "advantage of its features, graphics mode and sound". Unless colour clash is still staying as a feature of the Next.

Oh well, while it's great to see a new Dizzy game, we can add Wonderful Dizzy to the list of other Next things that haven't been delivered, like official multi-core support or like any new official firmware since March this year. I guess my Next is still staying in its box then.

4 hours ago, gone fishin' said:

@Robo_1

It does make you wonder a) why the developers chose the Spectrum over the Next (maybe easier as it's using their existing engine) 

Nothing to do with that. It was simply because the Olivers wanted to make something for the hordes of Dizzy fans, not just the few thousand (or whatever) that own a Next.

Also another interesting point is that they don't own the IP for Dizzy (that would be Codemasters of course). But they were happy to go ahead and make the game anyway, as they consider Dizzy to be theirs (and clearly the Dizzy fans agree). This is just what they told me, they may well have come to some arrangement with Codies behind the scenes.

2 hours ago, Anne Summers said:

Nothing to do with that. It was simply because the Olivers wanted to make something for the hordes of Dizzy fans, not just the few thousand (or whatever) that own a Next.

So I guess the Oliver twins were lying when they did this video announcing Dizzy on the Next if the Kickstarter campaign hit the stretch goal?

Hasn't aged well, has it? A video promoting the launch of the Next Kickstarter with the promise of an new Dizzy game for the Next should it hit the stretch goal, except now we've got a vanilla Spectrum game with no Next version in sight. Looking back, it kind of feels like mis-selling, doesn't it?

What's worse is on the Wonderful Dizzy page there's a list of testers

Thanks to our Testers:

Łukasz Kur, Ian Higton, Neil Green, Paul Davies, Steve McNeil, Piotr ‘PIT’ Gratkiewicz, Kim Justice, Daniel Ibbertson (DJ Slopes), Adam Markey, Chris Wilkins, Jon Silvera, Archer Maclean, Mike DX, Lyndon Sharp, Andy Godoy, David Crookes, Ravi Abbott, Patrick Becher, Rory Milne, Henrique Olifiers, Jim Bagley, Phoebus Dokos, Mike Cadwallader and Philip Ireson.

So you've got the Next team as part of the testers, but it's actually just a standard Spectrum game and nobody thought of telling the backers that the stretch goal of an exclusive Dizzy game for the Next isn't actually happening? It's great there's a new Dizzy game, but as a backer of the original Next kickstarter, it's just another in a long line of disappointments. It didn't even have to be exclusive on the Next, just get rid of the colour clash and that would have been good enough.