IGNORED

Will Nintendo release a Switch Pro next year?

Jamie John

If you'd asked me this question a few months ago, I'd have said 'Definitely'. Now, though, I'm not so sure - the OG console and the Lite are continuing to outsell everything else that's going, despite the limited number of first-party must-haves that Nintendo have published this year, and I imagine they'll be willing to ride this wave for as long as they can before bringing in a costly hardware revision that they'll likely be charging more than £300 for to differentiate it from the original Switch (unless they drop the OG Switch's RRP first, but then it'll perhaps be too close to the RRP of the Lite).

There's also the low price of the Xbox Series S to consider. Even if the Japanese market doesn't care about Xbox, the S is £30 less than the 2017 Switch, despite being many times over more powerful, so they're going to need to come up with something special to justify to Western customers the higher price of what will undoubtedly still be less powerful hardware in comparison, even if it is portable.

Speaking for myself, I hope they do update the Switch soon. I haven't gone near mine in a while now and have pretty much stopped buying games for it, not because there aren't games on it to play, but because I know they'll perform better elsewhere, Hades and Ori 2 being two good examples of this, but also Switch exclusives like the new Hyrule Warriors game - I'm waiting for the Switch Pro (or equivalent) before I play that, after hearing so many reports of the slowdown, which I find nowadays I have far less of a tolerance for. I appreciate, however, that I represent the minority in this regard when it comes to their customers, most of whom (as the sales figures show) are content enough to get Switches for Christmas so they can play Mario Kart 8, a three year-old port of a six year-old game.

What do you lot think?

22 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

also Switch exclusives like the new Hyrule Warriors game - I'm waiting for the Switch Pro (or equivalent) before I play that, after hearing so many reports of the slowdown,

I'm 50 hours in and am yet to notice any. Aside from the intentional slowdown when you do special attacks and stuff.

But then, people complained about that in BOTW too so...

3 minutes ago, ZOK said:

What would you expect Hades to do that it isn’t currently doing on Switch?

Perform at a stable 60fps, which, according to several things I've read and heard, it doesn't do consiteny. I'm sure it's not that much of a big deal, but it's enough to stop me from getting it for the Switch and to make me want more powerful hardware to play it on.

Pretty sure they will release something more powerful, but much like the GBA and GB, they will wait for the sales to drop a bit before releasing it, no point bringing out new hardware if you're already shifting millions of the things each month.

My Switch gets more playtime then my shiny new Series X, so it's obviously doing something right, oh, yeah, that's it.. I can plug it in my telly or sit in bed with it, ideal, this is why DG 11 S got finished at well over 100 hours, and Persona 5 is left languishing at the 50 hour mark, as I'm restricted to one location to play the bloody thing.

5 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Perform at a stable 60fps, which, according to several things I've read and heard, it doesn't do consiteny. I'm sure it's not that much of a big deal, but it's enough to stop me from getting it for the Switch and to make me want more powerful hardware to play it on.

I don’t think I’ve ever played a game where the frame rate is less perceptible.

I’m clearly not sensitive to it though, thank goodness.

7 minutes ago, denisb said:

I’d personally like one that’s more powerful and only plugs in the telly I’ve zero interest in playing handheld I can’t be the only one 

Handheld is the console's USP, love it or loathe it, it is the main thing that distinguishes it from the other consoles and gives it a good rationale to be people's second console (if not first!).

Looking at every Nintendo TV console since the SNES, it is pretty clear they can't compete directly in that space.

11 minutes ago, denisb said:

I’d personally like one that’s more powerful and only plugs in the telly I’ve zero interest in playing handheld I can’t be the only one 

I play 95% on telly, I’d hate to lose that option though.

I'd quite like them to release something but am not convinced it is really required.

If they did I could more comfortably justify buying one and letting my daughter have my original one though.  I don't want to buy another now only to miss out in a year or so...

I don't play on it much at the moment but that's due to the aforementioned daughter..my 3 year old son is still more interested in charging around the house breaking things but it is only a matter of time.

30 minutes ago, ChewMagma said:

Handheld is the console's USP, love it or loathe it, it is the main thing that distinguishes it from the other consoles and gives it a good rationale to be people's second console (if not first!).

Looking at every Nintendo TV console since the SNES, it is pretty clear they can't compete directly in that space.

Of course they can - a Switch TV at £179 or less with that library would be extremely competitive. 

Switch Pro? Yeah I’m sure there will be one along at some point but we’ve saying this every year, so maybe it’ll be next year. 

8 minutes ago, Stanley said:

It’s viable if that’s what you mean as they’re doing away with a screen, battery and dock. 

I mean I'd love it and would get one but I just sense that Nintendo pitching themselves as the "budget" TV console manufacturer wouldn't fit with their current market strategy.

3 minutes ago, ChewMagma said:

I mean I'd love it and would get one but I just sense that Nintendo pitching themselves as the "budget" TV console manufacturer wouldn't fit with their current market strategy.

Well they wouldn’t  - they would market it as being part of the Switch family, it’s not like it would look cheaper (the current model is hardly premium) or the games wouldn’t perform as well, they’d be exactly the same, the controller would be exactly the same - it would also be the tiniest console ever. 

1 hour ago, denisb said:

For every one of you there is someone like me who literally never plays it on TV. I don’t even know where the TV box part of it is, I’ve been using handheld only for years!

I don't think they really need to release a new one on the basis of hardware power/performance - I know they don't push the same realistic graphics or effects as the big games on PS or Xbox but to my eyes the likes of Mario Kart 8, Splatoon, Odessey etc look immeasurably better as they are almost perfectly realised versions of the cartoon style, and not compromised versions of attempts at realism. 

They should only release a new one if they have a compelling software enabling proposition for doing so, as 1st party Nintendo games are never about performance in the way that the other consoles chase.

@Jamie John

I very much doubt they will but I would buy one at launch. 

I got the new Hyrule Warriors and I find it unpleasant to play on the telly. It might be better in handheld because the constant juddering and lurching might be less apparent, I don't know. It was unfortunate in terms of timing because I went from Demon's Souls, Miles Morales, Astro and Ghost of Tsushima at 4k60 to...whatever HW is running at and I put it down after two missions because it felt substantially worse. I'll go back when I have nothing to play because I loved the first game, but it was jarring alongside the new PS5 stuff.

I'm not interested in 4K or an HDR/OLED screen or infinite battery or any of that. I would just like all Switch games to run at a stable 1080p 60fps. 

In terms of first-party software, even accounting for Covid, I think this has been a really poor year for the Switch. I appreciate that Animal Crossing is massive for a lot of people and I enjoyed the shared experience until the credits rolled but it's not really my kind of game. Aside from that, I can't really believe that all they has was Paper Mario (which I found a slog and dropped), Pikmin (not my thing) and HW (as above). Edit: I forgot 3D All Stars, which is great, albeit equally disappointing and symptomatic of their 'will this do?' approach. Currently, I have no plans to buy a Nintendo game until BotW2.

Before anyone gets the wrong idea, I've bought around 400 games on the Switch since launch, and enjoyed a number of indie games this year, but nothing in their first party output has really grabbed me since FE3H. 

11 minutes ago, Marlew said:

@Jamie John

I very much doubt they will but I would buy one at launch. 

I got the new Hyrule Warriors and I find it unpleasant to play on the telly. It might be better in handheld because the constant juddering and lurching might be less apparent, I don't know. It was unfortunate in terms of timing because I went from Demon's Souls, Miles Morales, Astro and Ghost of Tsushima at 4k60 to...whatever HW is running at and I put it down after two missions because it felt substantially worse. I'll go back when I have nothing to play because I loved the first game, but it was jarring alongside the new PS5 stuff.

I'm not interested in 4K or an HDR/OLED screen or infinite battery or any of that. I would just like all Switch games to run at a stable 1080p 60fps. 

In terms of first-party software, even accounting for Covid, I think this has been a really poor year for the Switch. I appreciate that Animal Crossing is massive for a lot of people and I enjoyed the shared experience until the credits rolled but it's not really my kind of game. Aside from that, I can't really believe that all they has was Paper Mario (which I found a slog and dropped), Pikmin (not my thing) and HW (as above). Edit: I forgot 3D All Stars, which is great, albeit equally disappointing and symptomatic of their 'will this do?' approach. Currently, I have no plans to buy a Nintendo game until BotW2.

Before anyone gets the wrong idea, I've bought around 400 games on the Switch since launch, and enjoyed a number of indie games this year, but nothing in their first party output has really grabbed me since FE3H. 

If you've got a first gen Switch, that is hackable, then you can over clock it and get some decent performance boosts in HW:AoC

https://youtu.be/o1Hm4CmmviU?t=130