Jump to content
IGNORED

Returnal - RLLMUK and BAFTA GOTY 2021 - Free Ascension DLC out now!


Vemsie
 Share

Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, MrSpiggott said:

Did anybody else think the second half of the game definitely easier than the first. It took about 50 hours for me to see the ending and 44 deaths and I would say a good 90%of those deaths happened in the first 3 levels.  On these later levels the time it takes to kill an enemy with the weapons your given is much quicker than the early levels.

 

Anybody stuck on the third level with thoughts of giving up, well just give it a bit longer, you won’t regret it. If you don’t panic and keep strafing and grappling then the third boss is probably the easiest, particularly his third stage. This is coming from a crumbling 52 year old with questionable reflexes.

 

100% this.  I just got to the credits, and I went through everything in the second half with just a few deaths.  Having to roll back the patches to pass level 3 was a low point for me (but it worked like a charm), but I'm all patched up and ready to get stuck in to the post-credits stuff now.  Looking forward to it.

 

Everything after the Biome 4 boss went past in a blur, though.  I don't even remember the B5 boss.  Spoilers...

 

Spoiler

Was the underwater level B5?  I thought there were 6 biomes.  I'm so confused.  I did from B4 to the end in one run, I only remember the organ guy (B4?) and the final underwater guy.  Was there a boss in between?

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, catinthehat said:

 

100% this.  I just got to the credits, and I went through everything in the second half with just a few deaths.  Having to roll back the patches to pass level 3 was a low point for me (but it worked like a charm), but I'm all patched up and ready to get stuck in to the post-credits stuff now.  Looking forward to it.

 

Everything after the Biome 4 boss went past in a blur, though.  I don't even remember the B5 boss.  Spoilers...

 

  Hide contents

Was the underwater level B5?  I thought there were 6 biomes.  I'm so confused.  I did from B4 to the end in one run, I only remember the organ guy (B4?) and the final underwater guy.  Was there a boss in between?

 

 

 

 

Spoiler

The underwater one is biome 6. The frozen one is 5 but there is no biome 5 boss

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is there a good strategy for a certain B6 room?
 

Spoiler

The one after the shop, when you do this long drop and get locked in a room with some elite enemies (the bastards that have malfunction bullets) and a healing tower.


That's the one room that keeps fucking me up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Vemsie said:

Is there a good strategy for a certain B6 room?
 

  Hide contents

The one after the shop, when you do this long drop and get locked in a room with some elite enemies (the bastards that have malfunction bullets) and a healing tower.


That's the one room that keeps fucking me up.

 

Just try and keep your distance from the ones that melee as they are super strong, so basically use dash as much as possible to move/avoid, that's the room that kept screwing me until I did it once.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I played this a bit last night and although my run went to shit, there was one room I went in where 4 tree guys and a load of adds spawned and I just kited and picked them off with the starter pistol and swagged out without taking a hit. When you get in the zone with this game, I struggle to think of anything single player that gives off a better feeling of satisfaction. Because of the speed and fluidity of it all, it tops even the Souls games for me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So I almost bested 4 on my first attempt, only had 1/5 of the last phase to go.

 

This after 20 hours and countless attempts at 3 where I didn't get get NEAR the boss fight. With x2 the goodies and health.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Biome 6. Do I need to get the abyssal key every time? Obvs on the first run through you do. But I definitely did not pick it up on my second run.
 

And just now on my third run the critical path forced me to get it again and die to that fucking miniboss that pretty much one hit kills you. Didn’t help that I’d just been given a pink-arrow malfunction that removed my dash. No fucking chance without that.

 

Is it a random requirement? Did I get a glitch on that middle run?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Biome 3 can die in a fire! Specifically the boss after whatever carnival of death dealing nonsense has been laid out for you. The sections shortly before the boss too, I mean what the actual fuck?! I've hit the boss 4 times now and only got slightly into Phase 2, but have put that largely down to my poor weapon choice going in. Is N an actual tank and so any weapon is going to chip away at them rather than deal real damage or is there something specific that works best? A pumped Hollowseeker or Pistol don't seem to be the answer.

 

This is by no means detracting from my enjoyment of the game. Its absolutely glorious and even after fuck knows how many hours and deaths every part of it still feels fun. I would still like to see the Biome 1 shortcuts appear almost immediately once you unlock them and leave the RNG of rooms for optional runs but that is my one and only gripe with the entire game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MardiganX said:

I would still like to see the Biome 1 shortcuts appear almost immediately once you unlock them and leave the RNG of rooms for optional runs but that is my one and only gripe with the entire game.

This is probably very intentional. Having them appear early, say by the ship, would give a clear direction that you're meant to leg it straight back to Biome 3, defeating the point of the roguelike structure. This way it tempts you into exploring and grinding a bit, which ultimately is better for you. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MardiganX said:

Biome 3 can die in a fire! Specifically the boss after whatever carnival of death dealing nonsense has been laid out for you. The sections shortly before the boss too, I mean what the actual fuck?! I've hit the boss 4 times now and only got slightly into Phase 2, but have put that largely down to my poor weapon choice going in. Is N an actual tank and so any weapon is going to chip away at them rather than deal real damage or is there something specific that works best? A pumped Hollowseeker or Pistol don't seem to be the answer.

 

This is by no means detracting from my enjoyment of the game. Its absolutely glorious and even after fuck knows how many hours and deaths every part of it still feels fun. I would still like to see the Biome 1 shortcuts appear almost immediately once you unlock them and leave the RNG of rooms for optional runs but that is my one and only gripe with the entire game.

 

Legging it in that last section is a very valid tactic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Hylian said:

This is probably very intentional. Having them appear early, say by the ship, would give a clear direction that you're meant to leg it straight back to Biome 3, defeating the point of the roguelike structure. This way it tempts you into exploring and grinding a bit, which ultimately is better for you. 

 

Disagree. But that's ok :) I dont need the game to force me into playing randomly generated rooms in B1 for me to know that I need to grind a bit before moving on. I would much prefer that its entirely my choice and as it works currently its not.

 

I can grind for everything I NEED while progressing toward the boss (again) in B3. If I would LIKE to be a bit more hench for that run then I have the option of a partial B1 or B2 run. But as it stands there is no strict optionality on B1. Yes, I may get a decent roll and quickly get to B3 but the likelihood his I am playing through a lot of B1 that I don't actually NEED to before I get to B3. Its not essential for sections of B1 to be replayed before going into B3 or even B2, so I would much rather it be my choice entirely whether I do so or not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Having not seen any since I got the game, dead bodies of other players have started to appear for me in the daily challenge  post patch(not had a chance to do a normal run).  When you go near the body it shows their PSN ID and score when they died which is neat

 

However...I was in a challenging room near the end and there were 3 dead bodies in that room. Every time I went near one the little window popped up, blocking the view.  if you are on the move then the window only brefily starts to appear but its still enough to put you off :facepalm:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Seeing the player bodies in this now adds what feels like a really crucial piece of the jigsaw. It really does add something, both in terms of the sense of others playing and the chance to really build your health and improve your weapons in each biome.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jonamok said:

YES. FUCKING DONE IT!!!

 

What a game. I have no clue what the fuck it’s about, but it is a spectacular piece of work. Best ‘feeling’ game I think I’ve played. The moment-to-moment gameplay is godlike.

 

It’s not without its issues, but it’s core is astounding. I will happily own all my earlier whining. Perseverance paid off. Credits seen at 65 hours and 70 deaths. Let me be a lesson for those struggling. I’m honestly shit at games. 53 with glacial reflexes, but if I can beat it. You know damn well you can too.

 

Now what? NG+ I guess.

 

Awesome stuff man. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Did the patch break the game for anyone else?

 

First room I see a body of another player I can avenge. Apparently this is a mechanic which was broken and I’ve never seen it in 20+ hours. I click avenge and a red thing appears on top of me and wipes me from 100% to 0% health instantly. 
 

Second run, I get a translocation cube in the first room and it teleports me into a room with the same red thing which again teleports on top of me and oneshots me. 
 

Third run, the red thing is just in the first room, teleports on top of me and oneshots me. 
 

Fourth run, the red thing is in the second room, teleports on top of me and oneshots me. 
 

O…..k?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Bojangle said:

Anybody know what the reward is when somebody avenges you? I keep getting the message about it but unless I’m missing something obvious (I probably am!) I can’t see what I’m getting! :blah:

 

I have received random perks on the couple of times I've been avenged...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.