IGNORED

Returnal - RLLMUK and BAFTA GOTY 2021 - Free Ascension DLC out now!

Vemsie

Just unlocked the Rotgland Lobber (what a name!) and it might be the best weapon so far. I only have a level 1 version in Biome 1 but it's eating up enemies like they're nothing. Extremely easy to overload too.

12 hours ago, Hexx said:

Where dat?

Do cubes have to go in the machine after Prike? And can you only have one inserted at a time, or does each unlock an artifact?

You can insert multiple during a run. I had one cube on me and got a “complementary” cube after the boss. Was debating which one to use, but it turned out it didn’t shut down after using one. Was fully anticipating that to happen considering how the rest of the game works. :P

Each unlocks either a consumable or an artifact to be added to the pool of randomized gear. 

20 minutes ago, Majora said:

Just unlocked the Rotgland Lobber (what a name!) and it might be the best weapon so far. I only have a level 1 version in Biome 1 but it's eating up enemies like they're nothing. Extremely easy to overload too.

Yes, it's great.

Semi-misleading guide for Destiny players:

• Electropylon Driver = Anarchy
  • Rotgland Lobber =  Witherhoard

Except better.

Got absolutely wrecked in everything I tried to do this morning and felt like my tactics and general combatworthiness had regressed several stages overnight. Might have to take a bit of a break and hope the cycle comes round again to vague competence / extreme good fortune.

Remind me not to try the biome 2 boss with a pistol next time! I got wrecked on the second stage of it. A few minutes before, I had got to the third stage of it with a rather nice level 7 machine gun equivalent, but I died, only to be resurrected in one of those machine things that I’d activated for 5 ether. On the way back to the boss, I swapped my weapon for a pistol that was one level higher. BIG mistake. You have to be so much more accurate with one of those, and I was running around like a loon in that arena. 

Fully explored areas 1 and 2, killed both bosses (first again for the loots), got to the end of 3 and... crash.

Spoiler

Had two revives, 1 spaceman, another parasite. No other debuts, and a tonne of good artefacts. Luckily managed to keep Ether and the grappling hook.

Annoying like, but these things happen.

Anyone had crazy audio noises when there are lots of projectiles? Thought it was my TV so tried headphones and ended up with something similar. This was on the run when it ultimately crashed.

Reading through the thread its clear that the game has it's own language and set-up of different elements that might constitute what a level is or a save/resume point, so my questions might use the wrong terms...

(I'm assuming a level is a biome, and at the end of every biome is a boss)

If you defeat the boss at the end of a biome and get to the next biome but then die, I'm assuming you are back to the start of the first biome again?

Does the boss at the end of each biome regenerate even if you have previously defeated it?

Are there literally no resume points in this game at all. Spend hours and hours working towards the end of the game, you die, you go back to the start? But are there shortcuts back to your last point of dying, or is it the same number of hours back?

Thanks

5 minutes ago, englishbob said:

Reading through the thread its clear that the game has it's own language and set-up of different elements that might constitute what a level is or a save/resume point, so my questions might use the wrong terms...

(I'm assuming a level is a biome, and at the end of every biome is a boss)

If you defeat the boss at the end of a biome and get to the next biome but then die, I'm assuming you are back to the start of the first biome again?

Does the boss at the end of each biome regenerate even if you have previously defeated it?

Are there literally no resume points in this game at all. Spend hours and hours working towards the end of the game, you die, you go back to the start? But are there shortcuts back to your last point of dying, or is it the same number of hours back?

Thanks

You always go back to the start with your default starting weapon when you die. The boss in each biome regenerates but you don't have to beat them more than once, you would only really do it if you needed to use a particular piece of machinery or were hoping for a good drop from them. There are shortcuts from biome 1 to 2 and also from 1 to 3 but they're randomly placed so you still need to complete some of biome 1 to find them. Generally though, they're not too far from the start of biome 1.

Your do unlock some permanent upgrades and the potential to find more and better items or weapons as you go. And there's a balance between trying to get straight back to where you left off and not ending up underpowered.

1 minute ago, Majora said:

You always go back to the start with your default starting weapon. The boss in each biome regenerates but you don't have to beat them more than once, you would only really do it if you needed to use a particular piece of machinery or were hoping for a good drop from them. There are shortcuts from biome 1 to 2 and also from 1 to 3 but they're random so you still need to complete some of biome 1 to find them. Generally though, they're not too far from the start of biome 1.

Your do unlock some permanent upgrades and the potential to find certain items or weapons as you go. And there's a balance between trying to get straight back to where you left off and not ending up underpowered.

Thanks - I'm guessing then at some point this is going to start opening up speed runners getting from the first biome to the last in a matter of 30 minutes or so eventually?

Structurally this game is quite different to most other rogue-likes, or at least ones I've played. The task isn't cumulative, where each run requires you to make your way through all the 'old' bosses and biomes to get to the new stuff, rather you'll have a specific objective/destination and you'll unlock means of expediating the journey to those.

It's a bit like if dying in Dark Souls sent you back to Firelink Shrine. From that point you'd then set off down one of the branches to get to the specific boss you need to take on next – largely ignoring the parts you've already explored – unlocking shortcuts along the way to aid future runs. (This is just a rough structural comparison; Selene zips around areas at Doomguy speed.)

18 minutes ago, englishbob said:

Thanks - I'm guessing then at some point this is going to start opening up speed runners getting from the first biome to the last in a matter of 30 minutes or so eventually?

You can get from your starting point to any biome you've unlocked in quick time (depending a little on random arrangement).

So I thought trying to give the daily challenge a try. First door needs a key. OK. Spend 15 minutes trying to find a key at the crash zone. There is none. Realize I’m probably encountering a bug. Quit challenge with 0 score. See hundreds of other players out of a couple of thousand with the same score. 

And of course you can’t retry because it’s a daily. Man. That’s one hell of a bug. 

Finally cleared Biome 1

Had good RNG, found a parasite that revives on death and an astronaut.  Sadly a mistake before the boss used the astronaut

Went into the boss with the parasite and 1 health pack, managed it without using the parasite revive

Onto Biome 2 now

9 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

So I thought trying to give the daily challenge a try. First door needs a key. OK. Spend 15 minutes trying to find a key at the crash zone. There is none. Realize I’m probably encountering a bug. Quit challenge with 0 score. See hundreds of other players out of a couple of thousand with the same score. 

And of course you can’t retry because it’s a daily. Man. That’s one hell of a bug. 

yep, ran into this just now too... I’ve played several hours between Friday and now without it happening too, trust it to happen on a one time daily challenge!

So in Buome 2 if you use the teleporter to get back up the mountain you can't access the shop is that right? I just died at the boss again even though I had 1000 obolites banked but couldn't seem to get a shop without climbing up through all those rooms again, is that right? 

Jesus, the third biome is tough. I've been there three or four times but can't seem to make real progress no matter how well set up I am. At some point the enemies pour from their holes, the sky becomes dark with... those things. It's like the end of The Matrix, had the end of The Matrix been done properly. The ground, such as it is, is just craters left by explosions, teeming with a legion of monstrous... fucking shitehawks. You duck and dive, you swing, you're under assault from every direction but back, so you retreat and if you're very lucky you occasionally take cover and shoot. Which is when you die, because if they can't shoot you they will kamikaze the shit out of you. They are utterly relentless. You use every resource you have, but it's never enough: they will Take. You. Down. It doesn't feel like it ever will be enough, however many resets I do. Tom Cruise never had this problem, and he's much, much shorter than me plus less elegant and it's just not fair.

The music's good though.

I think I've done three runs. The first ended when it's clearly intended to, at the tough monster. The second was very short and I killed myself through stupidity super quick. The third though, I started yesterday and made some headway. So I resumed that this lunchtime, and did pretty well. Got to the boss, went into the house, picked up the melee ability.

Got the boss down to the last half of the last phase before he did me in, the prick.

This is a pretty intense game, for sure. And not very welcoming at all.

Still, Phrike is going down for sure.

Well, shit, just had an absolutely monster run just now.

It took forever, but I meticulously cleared everything in biomes 1 & 2 before heading to 3. The repeat boss fights were actually really fun, although Ixion was a bit nerve wracking, even if I felt madly OP at that point. Headed to the boss of biome 3 after clearing most of the area, and was sporting 15 weapon proficiency, the astronaut, 2 large health vials, 2 small vials, and some eye-watering stats:

E0Yh9JfXIAM0fSc?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Oh, and I also had a list of artefacts as long as your arm.

As you might guess, that boss got SMASHED. Didn't even need one of the health vials in the end.

Spoiler

That's Act 1 finished!

Went straight into the next run and managed...

Spoiler

To kill the boss of biome 4 first try. :D

Before succumbing almost immediately to the first mini-boss in the next biome.

It's fucking wild, this game. I'm so, so excited for the new weapon I've unlocked, too. You might have seen it on the daily run today... 

Spoiler

It fires out little pylons that dig into enemies and scenery which then  tether to each other with electricity, creating complex patterns of what I can only describe as laser barbed wire which absolutely munches up groups of enemies. :D

1 hour ago, Gorf King said:

Jesus, the third biome is tough. I've been there three or four times but can't seem to make real progress no matter how well set up I am. At some point the enemies pour from their holes, the sky becomes dark with... those things. It's like the end of The Matrix, had the end of The Matrix been done properly. The ground, such as it is, is just craters left by explosions, teeming with a legion of monstrous... fucking shitehawks. You duck and dive, you swing, you're under assault from every direction but back, so you retreat and if you're very lucky you occasionally take cover and shoot. Which is when you die, because if they can't shoot you they will kamikaze the shit out of you. They are utterly relentless. You use every resource you have, but it's never enough: they will Take. You. Down. It doesn't feel like it ever will be enough, however many resets I do. Tom Cruise never had this problem, and he's much, much shorter than me plus less elegant and it's just not fair.

The music's good though.

I've found the best weapon for Biome 3 is the Hollowseeker with a couple of the perks like seeking out new enemies after a hit and serrated blades. I was really struggling with the flying robots in that area but as soon as I was wielding that I just had to shoot vaguely in the group's direction and they all went down like a sack of spuds. Much as I love the Rotgland Lobber I didn't find it much good in Biome 3.

That said, do not go into the boss of Biome 3 with the Hollowseeker. Was taking 2-3 times as long to get the health down as it did when I just went in with a good pistol. 

Man I got to the boss of biome 3 and had him down to his last phase. If I'd have had an astronaut I'd have done him. 

I've gone from thinking I'll never beat biome 1 to having an incredible run. What a turnaround

31 minutes ago, Majora said:

I've found the best weapon for Biome 3 is the Hollowseeker with a couple of the perks like seeking out new enemies after a hit and serrated blades. I was really struggling with the flying robots in that area but as soon as I was wielding that I just had to shoot vaguely in the group's direction and they all went down like a sack of spuds. Much as I love the Rotgland Lobber I didn't find it much good in Biome 3.

That said, do not go into the boss of Biome 3 with the Hollowseeker. Was taking 2-3 times as long to get the health down as it did when I just went in with a good pistol. 

Hmm, it's RNG though isn't it? First to get the right weapon on that run, second the right perks. Then I suppose having other right weapons to warp back you when you need to swap to them. I dunno, I'm still struggling with the RNG aspects of this - they can be mitigated to an extent, but they're still there, which can make for a thrilling run when they don't undermine you, but when they do... it can be frustrating.

Managed another go this morning thanks to my brother kindly taking my nephew to town for a bit. Got nicely tooled up, had a few near misses in some lockdown areas but got some good gear and parisitic abilities. So I decided to have a second crack at Phrike despite not having a spaceman or shelling out for a resurrector.

Was doing really well, got Phrike down to about a third of his final bar, and then he got me. But I didn't realise I had a parasite that could bring me back. It was fucking close, but I got him down. :D

Had a little look around the second biome but got killed in some kind of lake of fire with added lasers. Was gonna have some food but then found out about the challenge sim in the ship, with a high score, and @jonamok's score to beat. Well of course I had to beat him. ;)

This game is fucking fantastic. But you know what's funny? The traversal, the overall style, it reminds me a lot of Mass Effect Andromeda, only the gunplay here is far superior. But yeah, so far this is a hell of a game. 

I appear to be locked out of the daily challenge mode even though I got the message saying I could access it - it's still got a red cross on it, I haven't done it yet so no idea whats happening there?

I can’t stop playing this, it is absolutely incredible!

Am I right in assuming each biome has 3 unique datacubes to collect? That would make 18 and I’ve killed the first boss 3 times and on a subsequent run I found a data cube that I couldn’t pick up.

• Vemsie changed the title to Returnal - RLLMUK and BAFTA GOTY 2021 - Free Ascension DLC out now!