IGNORED

Returnal - RLLMUK and BAFTA GOTY 2021 - Free Ascension DLC out now!

Vemsie

48 minutes ago, Ferine said:

I believe you should've unlocked a teleport gate to the summit; you'll find it at the 'entrance' to the mountain. Pretty sure it activates before you beat the boss and not after.

Yes, it does activate before fighting the boss, but not sure how that helps on that run or future runs? On that run I had to get all the way up there the hard way to turn it on. On future runs, if there are any, it still won’t be active until I get all the way up to it the hard way again. Right?

59 minutes ago, jonamok said:

Think I’m done for now. Went into Biome 2 with everything. Even that perk that slowly regenerates health when you’re low, plus two spare lives. Had an amazing weapon too.

But that biome is too long, and by the time I got to the boss the four severed I had to fight on the way had used up my astronaut, and good consumables, and by the boss’s third phase I’d used up my other lives, but the regenerate perk had me in the red still hanging in there. But then he goes ham with the fireworks in phase 3 and two quick hits did for me.

Just too much going on for this old man to parse I’m afraid. Doubt I’ll ever get that quality of loadout within my patience threshold, so I’m done for now.

If I hadn’t bought it digital it would honestly be in trading now. :( Still it was a mostly fun, very pretty 15 hours. And £4 an hour isn’t too bad. :lol:

You don't have to redo the entire biome to retry the boss!

EDIT: Oop, I see someone got there first.

EDIT 2: There's actually a shortcut to the boss that's always accessible:

Spoiler

Right at the base of the mountain there's a mechanism that wasn't there before...

2 minutes ago, jonamok said:

Yes, it does activate before fighting the boss, but not sure how that helps on that run or future runs? On that run I had to get all the way up there the hard way to turn it on. On future runs, if there are any, it still won’t be active until I get all the way up to it the hard way again. Right?

It remains active in subsequent runs, so you can skip most of the level and get to the boss after just a few 'rooms'.

Personally I'd suggest making a beeline for the boss and just try to get its attack patterns down. Don't fuss about powering up, just pick up a few things en route and maybe use the weapon that's sat just outside the arena. Once you know what you're walking in to you can then put time into building yourself up beforehand if you want, but you don't really 'need' any of that stuff; just focus on dodging and hipfire in the boss's general direction, you'll whittle it down.

Just now, jonamok said:

@Ferine  @imp  @Majora

Thanks all, had no idea that would stay active - why would I? Lol.

But aye, that’s gonna drag me back in Pacino style I imagine.

The teleporter doesn't stay active, there's just an alternate means of returning there. :)

51 minutes ago, imp said:

The teleporter doesn't stay active, there's just an alternate means of returning there. :)

Should I have seen the top end of this new teleporter when I was up there? As I didn’t see or consciously activate any new style portals or anything.

Phrike down with what felt like a good build.

Into biome 2 - doesn’t seem too bad. Malfunction so can’t get new weapon for 30 kills. Great.

Lose astronaut to puddle I didn’t see. First boss (insude base of mountain?) utterly wrecked me.

The crimson portal is open now right?  But going there without the gear/power from biome 1 seems suicidal 

At the start of each biome you will always find an item to greatly boost your weapon proficiency and a small health consumable I think. So even if you make a beeline there you shouldn't be completely overwhelmed so long as you pick up a new weapon with your increased proficiency before you hit any of the tougher enemies.

It's still a good idea to grab a couple of things on your way there if you can but I think the more important thing is just feeling out the new area and enemies for a few disposable runs before committing to a proper run.

Not feeling the second biome. Its aesthetically uninspired and makes me think of Red Faction: Guerilla. I made it to the boss by accident, but i was fucked, so i stuck my nose in to get a feel for his patterns. Didn't seem too bad. 

I must've misread some of the previous posts about getting back to Biome 2 (killing Biome 1 boss again?), because all you have to do is bee-line straight for the Crimson Room. Don't even bother with prep, you get so much stuff in the first few areas of 2.

Also, i'm starting to question weapon proficiency because my Lv.1 Carbine was doing perfectly fine, and the immediate jump to Lv.6 made not much difference. Also, avoid that LMG thing. Its awful.

When a weapon has two different attributes can you swap between them, for example I seemed to just unlock high calibre on the machine gun and it automatically swapped to this mode which was more powerful but slower fire rate. I'm wondering if you can change it, seems a bit odd otherwise?

Five more goes at Ixion thanks to the sort-of shortcut up the mountain, but now my biome 1 shop seems to have run out of astronauts, so I’ve been doing it on one life with a couple of vials. Still not close to beating his phase 3, though phases 1 and 2 are relatively easy, if tiresome. There’s just too much going on when the blue walls come at you along with multiple barrages of disco gobstoppers. And then he dives if for a cheeky slap too.

I know, it’s a bullet hell shooter, but think I’m being reminded why I don’t play bullet hell shooters.

I’ll leave it for a day, see if I can summon up the drive for another go. Though I’m tempted to pick up Disco Elysium for a slightly more sedate change of pace.

Well, that's a long old walkthrough watched - not often I do that sort of thing, but I have a feeling that it'll be the closest I get to ever completing the game!

Be very interesting to see what people's thoughts are about the story as a whole later on in this thread!

4 hours ago, Hoodedclaw said:

This , this all day long. 

This too,

Can get to phase 3 of Phrike every time, but cant finish him.  I had a great build going earlier, but somehow the astronaut I had got destroyed so I din't revive

I even used the resurector for 6 ether, but it revives you there rather than instantly where you die

Will returnal tomorrow for another go

5 minutes ago, MikeF said:

This too,

Can get to phase 3 of Phrike every time, but cant finish him.  I had a great build going earlier, but somehow the astronaut I had got destroyed so I din't revive

I even used the resurector for 6 ether, but it revives you there rather than instantly where you die

Will returnal tomorrow for another go

If you use the resurector, and go back to Phrike, is he back to full health?

You've lost the resurrection.

I think the resser is there for when you've done so much in a target (boss) biome and got such a great set of stuff, and you're near the end, that you couldn't bear the thought of having to redo the whole thing. Then you warp back and set him up. Think of it as the fallback to the fallback if that fails. Never used it myself.

• Vemsie changed the title to Returnal - RLLMUK and BAFTA GOTY 2021 - Free Ascension DLC out now!