IGNORED

Returnal - RLLMUK and BAFTA GOTY 2021 - Free Ascension DLC out now!

Vemsie

2 hours ago, Stanley said:

Yeah Resogun and Nex Machina are two of my favourite PS4 games. 

I definitely need to study level 3 boss some more, I was all over the show :lol:

This is one of those games that just makes me appreciate all games more really, every now and then you need one to reinvigorate the medium, and it does that. 

I wonder what Housemarque will do

next, I’m hoping Sony just gives them free reign. 

You know one game I didn’t play though, Matterfall. I’ll have to give that a go I reckon. 

Biome 3 took me ages to clear. Kept getting smashed by those annoying Tie Fighter pricks. Then when I got to the boss I was like......”I’ve got to make it through this........after getting through all that..........for FUCK’S SAKE”! Lol. It took me quite a few really long well prepared runs to make it through but, when I finally did, it was absolutely epic and one of the most rewarding feelings in any game I’ve ever played. My fav boss in the game that one. Quality!

Can see where you’re coming from about it making you appreciate games more. Playing through it reminded me of why I love certain types of games, really took me back to the 80’s, playing Spectipede on the C-16! It definitely feels like a landmark game too, along the lines of Mario64 or OOT. 

I need to go back to Matterfall, like I went back to Alienation. Might fire Resogun back up to. Still just need to bag the final Cioher on this for the Platinum but can’t bring myself to do it, as I don’t want it to be fully over. 

5 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Easy Allies awards:

Reveal hidden contents

Game of the Year :D

This is awesome. :)
Returnal was also nominated for best boss, best narrative, best weapon, best world design and best character (which it won also). Super happy this masterpiece is getting so much recognition.

Here's the full video, don't watch if you haven't completed it yet. :)

22 hours ago, jonamok said:

The greatest sound/haptic combo in all of gaming happens when your alt-fire is fully recharged.

"THANK GOD." *boom*

Having a pretty decent run right now, although I did just use 2 small vials and 1 large vial on a miniboss in Biome 5 ... Cannot for the life of me figure out the attack cues & timing. Managed to clear the challenge room in Biome 4 without taking a scratch.

Anytime you get one of those malfunction-fixer items it really is a good idea to go around the map and just hit every malignant item and then clear them all at once, you'll be a wealthy Terminator by the time you're done.

I also just met the second boss. Got him down to his third phase before I succumbed - and I frankly have no idea how I did that. This is one of those games that is so perfectly designed that the act of controlling your character seems to bypass your conscious brain. 

I’d had terrible problems with the Severed elite enemies in biome 2 prior to this run but I clicked with how to do it this time around. Returnal does the Dark Souls trick of rewarding aggression against even the most intimidating opponents. 

It’s fucking brilliant. 

I just hope they deliver on their claim of "endless replayability". They need to put in some post-game content. Some sort of endless/arcade/challenge mode. Ideally a straight up hard mode. The daily is a start but it doesn't really grip me. 

Picked this up after reading the hype in here. 

Spent a few hours on it last night which included some truly crappy deaths (the monsters that spawn when you scan another suit seem pretty violent!).

Anyway, on my 8th attempt I got to Phrike for the first time and managed to kill him - whoop! Is that most peoples expereinces? I feel like I fluked it massively!

I then died almost immediately afterwards, in part due to a really shitty malignant penalty I had related to picking up items. Oh well! 

Looking forward to playing some more this evening. 

19 minutes ago, Marmite said:

Anyway, on my 8th attempt I got to Phrike for the first time and managed to kill him - whoop! Is that most peoples expereinces?

Can we have negs back now please? :P

As for that malignant parasite - only once did I pick that up in my playthrough. Once was enough to learn to never pick it up again. :) 

8 hours ago, Polmon said:

Is there anywhere in the stats that show how many successful runs you've had? I had a look but couldn't see it anywhere. 

I normally just check how many tattoos I’ve had made to mark the occasion. 

2 hours ago, Thor said:

Can we have negs back now please? :P

As for that malignant parasite - only once did I pick that up in my playthrough. Once was enough to learn to never pick it up again. :) 

Ha! I guess I got lucky then. I am pretty convinced I will massively struggle to get past him tonight and normal service will be resumed! 

21 minutes ago, Marmite said:

Ha! I guess I got lucky then. I am pretty convinced I will massively struggle to get past him tonight and normal service will be resumed! 

You can skip bosses once you’ve beat them.

You do get rewards if you fight them again but, like everything else in the game, it really depends how your run is going and how confident you feel in taking the gamble.

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

Has anyone noticed any slight frame hitches/skips in their game? Mine has started doing it, like really slight but for me very noticeable and it wasn’t there before. 

I did have some mild stuttering on one playthrough, but it seemed to sort itself out and hasn't happened again since. 

12 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

You can skip bosses once you’ve beat them.

You do get rewards if you fight them again but, like everything else in the game, it really depends how your run is going and how confident you feel in taking the gamble.

Yeah I didn’t come across Phrike again last night, ended up skipping past him on both runs. Some nasty buggers in the next section. 

On 28/01/2022 at 07:12, Stanley said:

Has anyone noticed any slight frame hitches/skips in their game? Mine has started doing it, like really slight but for me very noticeable and it wasn’t there before. 

I’ve had quite a lot, even some today and I took the PS5 apart yesterday to stick an SSD in. It’s certainly not a stuck 60fps: would be interesting to see if VRR fixed it but…

anyway, I’ve only really come in the thread to say Biome 2 boss done. Level 10 Hollowseeker and a lot of integrity.

then obviously I was blown to pieces in biome 3.

On 28/01/2022 at 03:30, Polmon said:

I did have some mild stuttering on one playthrough, but it seemed to sort itself out and hasn't happened again since. 

My minimap and regular map stopped working yesterday and I had to reboot my PS5 to get it to work.

My brother-in-law came over to play it yesterday because he tends to be excellent at games that demand timing and good reflexes, and he loved it. He got to Phrike on his third run, but accidentally used his Large Vial before he went in. He had the Astronaut Token but ended up dying regardless.

He then reached Phrike again on the next run but had already used his Astronaut token and had played it too safe to pick up any Obolites so couldn't buy a health pack. He also fell into a few chasms shortly before Phrike so was at half health. He paused the game outside the pit and handed me the controller. "I don't have a chance," he said "and I want to see the next level before I leave."

I then somehow smashed Phrike without taking a scratch :lol: it's only the 3rd time I've ever faced him.

I've had that minimap bug happen a few times. It always seems to occur when you either use a transportation sphere or drop into a secret room that you've already been to. 

I've got just one glyph left to find now, somewhere in crimson wastes, then I have the platinum. Also, just one data cube left to find; I saw it in the third biome, but it was one of those green light/red light rooms and I didn't spot it until I'd been into one of the other entrances. Haven't seen this room again since :(

Does anyone know if all the weapons have the same amount of bonus traits available? 

10 minutes ago, Polmon said:

I've had that minimap bug happen a few times. It always seems to occur when you either use a transportation sphere or drop into a secret room that you've already been to. 

I've got just one glyph left to find now, somewhere in crimson wastes, then I have the platinum. Also, just one data cube left to find; I saw it in the third biome, but it was one of those green light/red light rooms and I didn't spot it until I'd been into one of the other entrances. Haven't seen this room again since :(

Does anyone know if all the weapons have the same amount of bonus traits available? 

it was a secret room what done it. yesterday was the first time ive booted it up in weeks, i love the game but honestly im dreading the chaos that is biome 6

What are the preferred strategies for dealing with the second boss? Head straight to the gate to the sand world? Or farm the first biome? Ignore Phrike or farm for memory cube upgrades?

So far I've been heading to the portal and heading through as soon as I get there; but I've had little luck in getting the next boss down. Maybe because I've just gone straight to him as soon as I hit the second portal, too. By this time, I usually have a decent weapon and a bit of suit integrity.

I've noticed the early areas in the second world are getting a little tougher as I return - should.I go for fewer attempts but prep more?

• Vemsie changed the title to Returnal - RLLMUK and BAFTA GOTY 2021 - Free Ascension DLC out now!