IGNORED

Returnal - RLLMUK and BAFTA GOTY 2021 - Free Ascension DLC out now!

Vemsie

Has anyone else tried running Biome 2 in reverse? Wonder if that’s what’s sent the difficulty through the roof. Also, why do I keep getting the exact same layout on Biome 2 no matter what? What decides the layout of the levels?

Wonder if I might be better off doing Act 3 then trying for the remaining 3 Glyphs. Have to admit, it’s pretty shit trying to find collectibles in a game with this kind of structure.

After returning to the game, I have managed to do Biome 5 and 6 and am now looking for the Fragments to be able to complete act 3.  Found 1 so far

Do I have to redo the Biome 6 boss after getting them all?

6 hours ago, CrichStand said:

Seems like those Glyphs just aren’t going to appear. 😕 I must have been through Biome 2 100s of times now and still no luck.

I believe this means your game is permanently corrupt and that gylph will never ever show up. 

I had the final glyph in biome 2 show up right at the start (which was odd, because I surely would have picked it up already) but it didn’t do anything. 

Then I read somewhere that if you have a pre-patch save, it basically locks you in and the only way to get that glyph is to erase your save, start from scratch, and do it all over again. Bit of a shame, though luckily I don’t care about trophies. 

1 hour ago, MikeF said:

After returning to the game, I have managed to do Biome 5 and 6 and am now looking for the Fragments to be able to complete act 3.  Found 1 so far

Yes.

1 hour ago, Cyhwuhx said:

I believe this means your game is permanently corrupt and that gylph will never ever show up. 

I had the final glyph in biome 2 show up right at the start (which was odd, because I surely would have picked it up already) but it didn’t do anything. 

Then I read somewhere that if you have a pre-patch save, it basically locks you in and the only way to get that glyph is to erase your save, start from scratch, and do it all over again. Bit of a shame, though luckily I don’t care about trophies. 

Just done another few runs and unfortunately.......I think you might be right. Having said that, i had a room appear that I haven’t seen, since close to launch day, probably 120hrs ago! Could just be totally random and require 100s of hours to get the remaining Glyphs/rooms to pop up! I did get one on Biome 3 yesterday but I’ll be fucked if I’m spending anymore time running through the game when I don’t even know if it’s glitched or not!

Fuck knows what’s going on with the difficulty. Now seeing those Plant Men from Biome 1 appearing on Biome 2 for the first time ever! It’s asking me to fight 5-6 of them, whilst also fighting 2 sword carrying Mummy things, and numerous Dog enemies from Biome 1 plus flying enemies and a mini boss that only usually appears on its own. It’s all suddenly kicked off for no apparent reason! Yesterday I was breezing through the first 3 Biomes and rinsing the boss with ease, now I’m struggling to even get to Biome 2. Lol.

Edit- Just done another run and it’s had all the above enemies together on Biome 2 and added in shit loads of projectiles and lasers flying all around the room.......and I’m using the starting gun which does barely any damage, so have to fight just using the sword. Why the fuck has the game suddenly gone like this it’s ridiculous. It’s not switching back to normal either. 

31 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

Yes.

Convinced I’ve already done that. Collected the parts then beat the boss.........and then the game asked me to do another run through on top of that. Is that right?

Spoiler

Pretty sure I had to collect the fragments. Then I beat the boss. Then I got a new scene at the house, where I found some car keys. Which I assume I need to use after beating the boss again. Is that correct? 

2 hours ago, MikeF said:

Just looked this up. Don’t make the same mistake I did! I got the Fragments then fought the boss, as the last one I got was on the final Biome. You don’t have to fight the boss at that point, there’s other stuff to do first. I ended up putting the game down on that section because I was burnt out on it and it felt it had got a bit repetitive. Think Act 3 and the Glyph stuff are the only real weaknesses with this. Both seem like they could have been easily avoided.

Edit- Fucked the Glyphs off and tried a speed run. Never bothered doing that before on a game, This is just absolutely sensational when it all comes together. The way the levels are designed is phenomenal. Tens of hours of interesting exploring, experimentation and progression have turned into just minutes of acrobatic grappling, jumping and dashing. It took me 20hrs to get past Biome 3. I’ve just done the first 3 Biomes and the boss in under 10mins and it felt epic, especially the boss battle. It’s soooooo close to being a perfect game. If the Glyphs spawned in a set amount of time and the Final Act involved something fresh as the cherry on the cake, I think it would have stood as the best game ever made.

I had the game crash on me before, or at least I came across a bug I couldn’t recover from. Went back To my ship and went inside but all the interior was missing, there was just like a wireframe mesh, and then I couldn’t get out again so had to reset, and it was a good run I was on. 

I love the desert level, game just keeps getting better. 

Those house bits are well creepy. 

5 hours ago, CrichStand said:

Hide contents

Pretty sure I had to collect the fragments. Then I beat the boss. Then I got a new scene at the house, where I found some car keys. Which I assume I need to use after beating the boss again. Is that correct? 

Spoiler

Yeah, you can use them on the car after defeating the boss.

So, just speedrun the game and took down the final boss to complete Act 3. Absolutely fucking BUZZING! One hit and I was out of there at the end, had to use every last skill the game teaches you to survive and keep my nerve to take the big boy down. Hands were shaking like mad, heart was racing and I still feel totally pumped up after watching the final credits roll! Lol.

Yeah, there are little niggles like the Glyphs being a nightmare to track down but, on the whole, after realising how fun the game is to blast through at speed and taking into account everything this game achieves on both a technical and gameplay based level (and the fact its still as fresh as a daisy after 143hrs played) I have to say.........Ocarina is finally down to the number 2 spot.

Returnal is the best game I’ve ever played. Imo it’s a masterpiece of design and gameplay and is simply the best game ever made. 

Please, please, please, Housemarque and Sony keep the flag flying for proper old-school hardcore games like this. As a gamer of many, many years this is exactly what I want to be playing. I don’t want “Netflix for gaming”, or the same watered down casual shite pumped out year after year. I want titles that push things forward like this, that offer exceptional gameplay, and a real challenge all tied up in a stunning next gen package.

1 hour ago, Polmon said:

After talking with a friend about this game, I think that I've managed to completely miss the Rotgland Lobber weapon! 

On my first run through the game I wasn't a fan. On my second run it's what I used a lot, especially on the final boss. :) Great weapon.

On 17/01/2022 at 14:57, Stanley said:

I beat Phrike :omg:

so did I!

I’m genuinely surprised, though I can feel myself very very slowly getting better and more confident in upping the risks to get the necessary rewards to be able to continue.

For anyone that might want to Platinum the game.......

One of the Glyphs on Biome 2 is located in a 2 tier, circular room, that has a pillar in the middle of it. The Glyph is on the central pillar. Apparently, if you collect this particular glyph and it doesn’t register on the game then, you won’t be able to get the Platinum. The way around this is to back up your save before collecting it. That way if it screws up, you can just reload your old save file.  

Looks like I might have encountered that glitch, as despite the room apparently being quite rare, I had it many times when first running through Biome 2. Have now looked up all the Glyph locations so, going to run through them all and see what’s what and find out for sure if I’m bang out of luck! 

Edit - 1 Glyph remaining!!! The dream is still alive!!! Just collected one that I must have walked past 100s of times! Lol. Some are made really obvious when you enter a room. This one was outside, in a large more complex area, on the base of a tower.

2-3hrs later.........FUCKING GET IN THERE!!! Bagged the last Glyph/Cipher on Biome 2. Game isn’t glitched! Wahoooooo!!! Definitely miles better running Biome 2 in reverse once you’re sure you’ve got the ones outside. Now just 1 Glyph/Cipher left on Biome 3 to track down. Actually ended up enjoying collecting these, love a bit of a treasure hunt!

14 minutes ago, Polmon said:

How are you running biome 2 in reverse? 

You leg it to the Portal before the temple and go through it to the top of the Mountain. Then use the Teleporter there to go to the top floor of the temple and work back down through the level!

2 minutes ago, CrichStand said:

You leg it to the Portal before the temple and go through it to the top of the Mountain. Then use the Teleporter there to go to the top floor of the temple and work back down through the level!

Ahh, of course! 

1 minute ago, Polmon said:

Ahh, of course! 

Yeah, i’d never even thought to try it before. It’s a massive life saver if you have an idea of which Cipher you might be missing. You can skip straight to the later ones instead of having to work your way through the whole level. Think it’s definitely best using a guide if you end up struggling with any like myself, as randomly searching around is absolutely insane with the constantly morphing levels. Took me 100s of runs to get certain rooms to appear too. 

Every time I’ve finished the 3rd Biome and the boss and that music kicks in, it’s given me chills. The four descending notes on the piano sound absolutely amazing, it’s such a simple but incredibly powerful little phrase/melody that’s stuck with me for ages now and become associated with the game. I’ve only just realised why it has such an impact, and what the melody actually is and how it applies to the story! Proper nuts ‘cause I’m a musician that mainly plays by ear. Lol. I have absolutely no idea how I’ve not noticed. Is it just me being daft as a brush or have other people missed what it is too?

Spoiler

For those not sure, it’s the opening to the verse melody of Don’t Fear the Reaper. The way it’s voiced over the rest of the music very subtly changes it and gives it a whole new feel. Absolute fucking genius! The way it’s used as a recurring theme and ties to the story is absolutely amazing too. 

Story is proper making my head spin! Not been anything this cool since Silent Hill 2. Seems it’s not as open to interpretation as I first thought, having just read some comments from someone at Housemarque with regards to some of the cutscenes. Keep having the crazy idea of starting the whole game from scratch just to try and piece every last bit of info together properly and make sure I’ve not missed any cool little bits like that melody! What! A! Game!

29 minutes ago, Polmon said:

I completely missed it until someone on here mentioned it; despite the game repeatedly hammering it into my face! I'm terrible at noticing things like that in games though. 

Yeah, can’t believe i didn’t realise what it was, especially in that cutscene with the piano after the 3rd boss......and considering the actual tune is in the game a few times........and the fact that my old band used to play it now and again at rehearsals, with me on vocals and guitar. DOH!!! 

Absolutely love how it’ sounds in that cutscene and the slight change to the phrasing. The music and audio and how it’s used in this game is soooooooo good!

1 minute ago, Down by Law said:

Isn't that the 4th Biome?

The theme runs through the game and is repeated a lot up to the 4th boss. I was specifically talking about the cutscene after beating the 3rd boss though, where the piano is being played. It’s really brought to your attention then and the way it fits with the rest of the music and the images is amazing. Heard it many times and got chills all over each time but had no idea what it actually was, which is proper nuts for me! Thought it was just an original melody made for the game. When I finally realised, it made it even more powerful. Possibly done intentionally which is why the phrasing is very slightly different. 

So, those orange doors are they 

Spoiler

especially tough arenas

?

Because when I enter one, 

Spoiler

I get mobbed by loads of monsters, of several types, with one big, horrible ... thing ... leaping out of a lurid, red and black blob. Seems pretty tough, although I'm not doing so bad until the big, bad mofo appears and melees me to the ground.

I think I've seen most of the types of room in the early game, although have not picked up all types of gear/buff, yet. Have the sword, still some areas I can't access. Enjoying the game so far, but it's still pretty mysterious.

• Vemsie changed the title to Returnal - RLLMUK and BAFTA GOTY 2021 - Free Ascension DLC out now!