Returnal - Do you see the White Shadow?

Vemsie

Read some tips on here about re-mapping the controls, so ive got auto run on, and dodge on a bumper, but just wondered what side bumper is recommended?

this isnt really my sort of thing but wanted to try it and been enjoying it so far, not managed to beat the first boss yet though. Having infinite ammo is brilliant, more games should have that.

I think I’m stuck in B6:

Spoiler

There doesn’t seem to be a switch to open this gate, no way out and a quick google suggests it’s a bug and I need to restart. ☹️

I think this run has taken me about 2 hours, the mini-boss was nightmare, and I really don’t want to start over because of a bloody bug.

9 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I think I’m stuck in B6:

Hide contents

There doesn’t seem to be a switch to open this gate, no way out and a quick google suggests it’s a bug and I need to restart. ☹️

I think this run has taken me about 2 hours, the mini-boss was nightmare, and I really don’t want to start over because of a bloody bug.

That sucks. Have you found the thing to get you last the gap, yet?

30 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

No. I think it’s past that gate!

Ah. Have you activated one of the reconstruction things? The things that let you respawn? Maybe die and trigger that and doing so will trigger the gate to open. Maybe...

Memory is a bit hazy here but either the item you need to progress is in the same room you are in, or its supposed to open when you kill the mini boss in the room (assuming I have the right room). Am I right in saying you had to drop down to get into that room, and was there a mini boss inside?

8 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

No. I think it’s past that gate!

I had the same issue, from reading around it was due to killing the boss outside of that arena and using a reconstruct thing.

I had to restart… the following run felt so much easier, particularly with the additional weapon perks I’d unlocked.

7 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

Memory is a bit hazy here but either the item you need to progress is in the same room you are in, or its supposed to open when you kill the mini boss in the room (assuming I have the right room). Am I right in saying you had to drop down to get into that room, and was there a mini boss inside?

Yeah! But that dirty bugger chased me out into the area where you run in, killed me, I reformed and he was so aggressive that I killed him from a distance, as you say. He ran at me in the area you can see from the “cross the gap” bit. That must be the issue.

There’s no way to kill yourself in that room, so I think my options are restart cycle or fling PS5 into the bin. Leaning towards the latter at present.

I’m feeling quite mixed about the game in general. I’m not enjoying it as much as I thought I would, but the highlights are just magnificent. B6 is wonderful to explore and feels so tense.

I think it’s going to end up in a “I’m not sure if I like it, but I respect it” place in my brain.

8 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Yeah! But that dirty bugger chased me out into the area where you run in, killed me, I reformed and he was so aggressive that I killed him from a distance, as you say. That must be it.

There’s no way to kill yourself in that room, so I think my options are restart cycle or fling PS5 into the bin. Leaning towards the latter at present.

If it's any consolation, once you get past the bit you got stuck on you've got one more thing to do before you finish the game, and I imagine you'll find it pretty easy.

Yeah sounds like a bug, that really sucks. If its any consolation the first time I did B6 I got all the way to that mini boss and died horribly, so had to go through it all again anyway. It was still fun, though I would maybe recommend short-cutting to B5 to power up a bit before heading to B6.

How goes the post credit mission I hear you ask...

Spoiler

Not too bad actually, I've found 4 of the 6 pieces now. The Citadel piece was in a proper sneaky place which I stumbled upon after the glowing balls didn't produce the goods. Just Biome 5 and 6 to explore now which is good as I need a load of glyphs from both of those still.

I finished Act 3 and I'm still playing. I just can't get enough of this game. Going after all data cubes, then will start on a Biome 1-3 challenge of no max integrity upgrade. 

I've started playing this and am liking it so far, even if it's hard as balls. I got to the first boss on one run and managed to get him to the third phase, but he got me. And then the next, like, five runs I died on the third room or something :lol:

Does anyone know of any good, non-spoilery beginner's guides? There seems to be a lot of systems to take in, so I'd like to learn about them but without being shown stuff I'd rather discover myself, if you know what I mean.

One thing I would like to know though. I found the house and got the key, so I went in. On the ground floor was a door which had a prompt to open it, but I thought that if I did a cut scene would happen and and be kicked out, so I went upstairs instead. Then a cut scene happened and I got kicked out. And now when I find the house again it says it's inaccessible even though I have the key. Did I miss anything of consequence?

51 minutes ago, dug said:

I've started playing this and am liking it so far, even if it's hard as balls. I got to the first boss on one run and managed to get him to the third phase, but he got me. And then the next, like, five runs I died on the third room or something :lol:

Does anyone know of any good, non-spoilery beginner's guides? There seems to be a lot of systems to take in, so I'd like to learn about them but without being shown stuff I'd rather discover myself, if you know what I mean.

One thing I would like to know though. I found the house and got the key, so I went in. On the ground floor was a door which had a prompt to open it, but I thought that if I did a cut scene would happen and and be kicked out, so I went upstairs instead. Then a cut scene happened and I got kicked out. And now when I find the house again it says it's inaccessible even though I have the key. Did I miss anything of consequence?

Re. the house: it will be open again later; don't worry about it.

Re. everything else, I'd just focus on figuring it out for yourself. It's part of the fun of the game. If you're really struggling, ask specific questions and people will help out. If your question is along the lines of 'What does X do?' or 'Why can't I do X yet', then just keep playing.

Go into the settings and turn on the always running function once you feel ready for the quicker pace. My initial experience of the game was as a Lovecraft survival horror game, but that eventually transformed into a fast paced bullet hell shooter. You’ll be running around the place like crazy so you’ll be happy not to have to worry/think about a run button.

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

Another good tip is to enlarge the aiming reticule and make it bolder - it makes the active reload symbol a lot easier to see and therefore time.

Had no idea you could do this (3+ days play time). Good tip! 

For balance, I've never had "always run" on and completed the game just fine. Lots of people do though. 

4 minutes ago, Hylian said:

Had no idea you could do this (3+ days play time). Good tip! 

For balance, I've never had "always run" on and completed the game just fine. Lots of people do though. 

Yeah, I'd be wary with always run as well. The game invites you to play it very quickly, zooming around like a madwoman and slashing fools at close-range with reckless abandon, and although you'll get to this point later, once you're going back through, if you're looking to make progress then careful, cautious, patient play, Dark Souls style, is the way to do it. Auto-run doesn't work with that type of play.

I think the auto run gives a simple solution to escaping some of the bullet hell patterns, particularly bosses. It allows you to strafe quickly. Of course the pros just time their dashes through the bullets 😛😎