Returnal - Do you see the White Shadow?

Vemsie

Run through. Grapple around arenas when you can’t run. Use cover. Hip fire. And run away and shoot from range where you can.

When the big daddies grab you immediately dodge, it breaks their grapple. 

Rotgland lobber is also useful as it will keep hurting them while you hide.

Either the lobber or the pylon will absolutely wreck those guys while you chill out in cover. Or even the hollowseeker with serrated blades.

Ah, you're probably right. Is that maybe true for some of the weapon perks too? Well, um, hopefully it's comforting that it'll be easier when you come back through again later...

I found the Hollowseeker to be the best weapon for B3 and made short work of the Tie Fighters. Phasing Rounds help as you can shoot through walls/doors, Serrated projectiles will keep damaging enemies over time.

And shoot every 'friendly' drone you see and every destructable bit of scenery. You need every last obolite you can find to pay for health and upgrades.

And use parasites wisely. Something that you'd never want while going through the level (e.g. something that halves melee damage for example) might be perfect when you're about to get to the boss door, or when climbing the tower.

2 hours ago, superfunk said:

I’ve been stuck on Biome 3 for weeks. WEEKS. 

I’ll be doing pretty well, and then I’ll land in an area with a ridiculous number of enemies and I just get overwhelmed and panic. The big robots that pull you in are the worst. 

What’s the best weapon/strategy to survive? I’m getting a bit frustrated that I can’t get any further. I’m doing proper clean outs of 1 and 2 and maxing out as much as I can. 

B3 is by far the biggest stumbling point in the game, so you're not alone. I had success with a long-range weapon due to the scale of the areas and how far away the enemies typically are from you - the carbine and the hollowseeker work well. I'd say the most dangerous enemies are the flying drones, especially as their homing orange rockets are quite hard to parse when it's all kicking off, and they track you to a surprising degree. As mentioned, make use of the copious grapple points to create space for yourself, but don't be afraid to hide behind pillars or use doorways as bottlenecks where you can. The most dangerous rooms aren't really rooms at all but rather the rooftops that you fly into from afar and then you're right in the thick of it with no easy way out, normally with lots of turrets that activate immediately, and those shielded laser fuckers. Try to find somewhere to hide so you can zip in and out to make pot-shots.

The crawling automatons are intimidating, but you can trigger their self-destruct by getting within the red circle around them and then dodging away when they blow up, just remember to dodge the circle laser that spawns when they die. The non-crawling automatons are difficult, but I don't think there's one instance where you actually have to kill them before you can proceed - all of them can be run past or teleported away from. I find their hardest attack the leap as it comes out pretty quickly and covers a lot of ground, so if you do have to take them on then try to keep them in the middle distance, then you just have to worry about their homing rockets, similar to the drones.

Really, though, it's all just familiarity and practice. I'd suggest shortcutting straight to B3 from B1 on a few suicide runs, just to get used to the rooms and enemies. There's not that much variety, really. Once you've unlocked the shortcut and you can get as far as the boss, start doing B1 in full to stock up on Resin and increasing your proficiency, then try taking the boss on for real. Stay patient, don't rush, slow and steady!

@superfunk Use the grapple to go somewhere high, shoot everything you have and grapple elsewhere. Repeat. This isn’t fancy or anything but if you keep grappling, the big robo won’t have much time or opportunity to counterattack. Same with the crawling robos, use elevation where possible and keep distance through grappling. 

I echo the 'use cover' tips here for B3. A pillar or corner can really help as long as you keep an eye on circle blasts which travel through walls. Next option is using grapple to get to high ground or low ground. If I'm overwhelmed I often find its best to run/dash and find the emptiest part of the room and fight from there. Always get rid of the weakest enemies first, usually basic ground drones or air drones. You can almost always outrun/out grapple the suicide crawlers and the big robots. The only exception is the big spheres that spit bullets which can be focussed down quite easily. For weaponry I found the carbine or hollowseeker to always be the best option for B3, the shotgun with slug rounds is pretty good as well albeit slow.  

It is definitely one of the biggest difficulty spikes in the game so I do think that rinsing the previous biomes is a good idea. If you concentrate on health upgrades you can get a ton by B3 and if you can save 'extra lives' it helps a lot too - you can get 3 if you get an astronaut, parasite that revives you and find the reconstructor. Good luck!

Got through B5 with the help of a low level Electropylon Driver gun, so was a bit touch and go in places but I’ve now descended! First chest I opened had a maxed out Electropylon Driver so looks like I’ll be sticking with this one until the end (be that credits or death)! 

I'll say it again, but the Atropian Blade is really good against the drones and the Automatons, especially when powered up. People are sleeping on that blade, man.

Also, I didn't want to derail the other thread but noticed this comment from @Jamie John

I found the story disappointing in its incoherency. I'm all for ambiguity and different interpretations, but the steam-of-consciousness narratives and nonsensical cutscenes grew wearisome and then just boring pretty quickly. I think Housemarque had the foundations here for a really intriguing sci-fi tale, but, by the end, they never really do anything with it except to say 'What do YOU think it all means?', which I thought was a bit of a cop-out.

I was wondering what you found incoherent about it? :)
Ambiguous sure, but it's pretty coherent in my head at least. Though I guess it helps that I've seen a linear version of the story for work and no, I can't share that. So I know for a fact they have a clear vision of the story, they just told it in such an ambiguous way that you can interpretet it in multiple ways, even though most of the theories I've read are two sides of the same coin.

I get they're not for everyone, but these games that basically give you lots of puzzle pieces for you to put together (see From Software as well) are some of my favourite games in terms of storytelling, because it never gets in the way of the gameplay (and almost becomes a game in itself). Like Bloodborne or Dark Souls, there are few cutscenes and a lot of it is tucked as lore that you can read/listen whenever you want. There are a few short (but well-made) cinematics (I think there are only four if you include the secret ending?) and then there are the House sequences, but they are fully interactive and I found them more intruiging than just clicking through multiple dialogue windows (looking at you, Hades) or watching hours of cutscenes (looking at you, Kojima). 
That and I really enjoyed reading the interpretations and plot discussion on Reddit and ResetEra.  Was a bit like Bloodborne in that regard, even though that game had a bigger community.

2 hours ago, Vemsie said:

I was wondering what you found incoherent about it? :)
Ambiguous sure, but it's pretty coherent in my head at least. Though I guess it helps that I've seen a linear version of the story for work and no, I can't share that. So I know for a fact they have a clear vision of the story, they just told it in such an ambiguous way that you can interpretet it in multiple ways, even though most of the theories I've read are two sides of the same coin.

I get they're not for everyone, but these games that basically give you lots of puzzle pieces for you to put together (see From Software as well) are some of my favourite games in terms of storytelling, because it never gets in the way of the gameplay (and almost becomes a game in itself). Like Bloodborne or Dark Souls, there are few cutscenes and a lot of it is tucked as lore that you can read/listen whenever you want. There are a few short (but well-made) cinematics (I think there are only four if you include the secret ending?) and then there are the House sequences, but they are fully interactive and I found them more intruiging than just clicking through multiple dialogue windows (looking at you, Hades) or watching hours of cutscenes (looking at you, Kojima). 
That and I really enjoyed reading the interpretations and plot discussion on Reddit and ResetEra.  Was a bit like Bloodborne in that regard, even though that game had a bigger community.

I didn't like the lack of closure to the story by the end - the game raises lots of interesting questions, but doesn't really answer that many of them. I'm not saying that I need everything to be spelt out for me, but I was hoping for some kind of revelation or *moment* after the final boss that tied things together somewhat in a more satisfying way, or allowed me to make at least some sense of what had happened up until then. Instead, the final cutscene played, the credits rolled and I was just left with a disappointing Partridge shrug.

With Dark Souls and Bloodborne, I watched lots of Vaati videos afterwards, read The Pale Blood Hunt and listened to all of Bonfireside Chat because I was compelled to find out more, but with this I didn't feel that compulsion at all. I'm still not sure if a narrative that requires you to go on the internet and research it in order to make sense of it can be said to be a narrative that is well-told. This is something that I think applies to the Soulsborne games as well.

Post credits is a bit of a mystery, just ran around Biome 1 and killed the boss for shits and giggles, but aside from picking up some scout logs there doesn’t seem much else going on. Is it just a chance to collect glyphs and that for Platinum or is there more to do?

59 minutes ago, SpagMasterSwift said:

Post credits is a bit of a mystery, just ran around Biome 1 and killed the boss for shits and giggles, but aside from picking up some scout logs there doesn’t seem much else going on. Is it just a chance to collect glyphs and that for Platinum or is there more to do?

Mostly just collecting glyphs and that for the plat, unfortunately. You can unlock some more story content if you collect certain things and complete the game again once you've collected said things, or you can try to do the daily challenges (accessed via the other console on the ship) and climb the leaderboards, if that's you're thing.

Personally, I played it for another few hours after seeing the credits but didn't especially feel much of a incentive to continue playing (beyond how wonderful this game feels to play) so I decided to sell it on while it's still worth a fair bit. If Housemarque decide to release some DLC with new Biomes and so on a bit further down the line then I may re-buy it.

Electropylon wotsit is a bit good, isn't it?

Is the best thing to do to set up "nets" around the enemy or just smash the pylons straight into them? I can't say I've noticed much difference whilst experimenting with it.

I've now gone from dreading playing this to really wanting to get back to it, even if the story seems to be progressing in a way I'm a bit wary of.

Spoiler

I thought Selene living out her life on Earth, dying a natural death and still coming back to Atropos was an amazing WTF? moment. Especially given that time has continued to pass.

No idea what's going on but it had better not be "she's in a coma and atropos isn't real/atropos is her demons" or whatever.

There is a perk for the Electropylon Wotsit that determines how long it stays active - thats great for firing it into enemies. I've tried to set traps up, but mainly just fire it and let it work its magic. It is fantastic for snaring the mini-bosses, love watching them trying to struggle free from its grip.

Oh I did laugh on the final boss 

Spoiler

after beating it I turned around to find two massive health vials sitting there.

1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

Electropylon wotsit is a bit good, isn't it?

Is the best thing to do to set up "nets" around the enemy or just smash the pylons straight into them? I can't say I've noticed much difference whilst experimenting with it.

I've now gone from dreading playing this to really wanting to get back to it, even if the story seems to be progressing in a way I'm a bit wary of.

Reveal hidden contents

I thought Selene living out her life on Earth, dying a natural death and still coming back to Atropos was an amazing WTF? moment. Especially given that time has continued to pass.

No idea what's going on but it had better not be "she's in a coma and atropos isn't real/atropos is her demons" or whatever.

I just fired them straight into the enemies then ran away or hid behind things until they died. Cowardly, but very effective!

Hyperion down. Not to moan too much, after getting stuck on Nemesis for so long, but I thought that was a bit too easy. 

B5 is a bit tough. Haven’t managed to get a single key, yet. Currently 16.5 hours and 41 deaths on the clock. 

6 minutes ago, SpagMasterSwift said:

Quick post credits question

Hide contents

Do the sun fragments carry over from cycle to cycle? I found my first one and gotta catch em all now.

Yup, they're 'permanent upgrades'.

B5 now done, died in what I assume is B6. Very disappointed that

Spoiler

There wasn’t a boss in B5.

Also the glyphs seems to be relating more and more to Selene rather than Atropos, which sort of confirms my thinking that it was all a dream or something. Really hope not.

38 minutes ago, SpagMasterSwift said:

Is it random as to whether a 

Reveal hidden contents

Sun fragment is in a biome? Only found two so far (B2 and B4) and have hunted through Biome 1 a few times now. This bit seems to be a bit of a miss step.

I believe one always appears in each biome each run. 

9 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Another Q:

Reveal hidden contents

Am I right in thinking the only way to access B1-3 again is to complete the game?

Yes