Jump to content

Returnal - Do you see the White Shadow?


Vemsie
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, BitterToad said:

So as we all know, Returnal is in the top spot for game of the year and is one of the best videogames ever probably. A mate of mine is having an absolutely terrible time in biome 1 and that seems so long ago that I've forgotten a few details. 

 

He's not got into the house yet, you can do that before beating Phrike right? I'm sure I needed an astronaut to get through it. 

 

Any other tips for good upgrades in Biome 1? I've told him to focus on health but there are definitely excellent items you get later that he doesn't have access to so it's quite difficult to offer tips!

 

You definitely get the Astronaut before beating Phrike (though I can't quite remember where or how).  I also stocked up on a large health vial, and made sure I had as much health as possible and aimed for a 3* weapon (though I finally beat him with a 2* carbine).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Jamie John said:

That pair of ganking, jumping, leashing robot twats just before the B3 boss room can suck my chubber.

 

Bah.

I think the best bet, as with much of B3, is to grapple as much as possible. There are high points you can grapple up to and between to keep distance from them and take out the other threats from safety.

 

B3 has gone from being my least favourite biome to my favourite. It's crazily hectic yet full of grapple points so you can keep away from danger.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Faced Biome 4 boss, had an astronaut but died in his last phase. However, I’d gone in one of those respawn machines so was still in with a chance of taking him out. I hadn’t fully unlocked leech rounds on my weapon so went in the challenge room to help unlock it. Aced it then went on to take out the boss. Leech rounds are a game changer, glad they held off giving them out till the end game. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, SpagMasterSwift said:

Faced Biome 4 boss, had an astronaut but died in his last phase. However, I’d gone in one of those respawn machines so was still in with a chance of taking him out. I hadn’t fully unlocked leech rounds on my weapon so went in the challenge room to help unlock it. Aced it then went on to take out the boss. Leech rounds are a game changer, glad they held off giving them out till the end game. 

 

Noob question (and I should probably just try it out, but Ether still seems really precious to me...):   When you use the respawn thingamejig, does the boss that killed you go back to full strength, or do you carry on from where you were?  I might start using them if it's the latter :)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yessss, biome 3 boss down at last, the fucker. As is often the way, I think it only hit me a few times. Into Biome 4 now. Enjoyed the story reveal.

 

Am I being thick or is there a way to drain the water in biome 3? I'd often find rooms with pools in an items below the surface, but whenever I jumped in I just took damage and spawned out again. Same goes for the lava-looking stuff, which I've never actually walked on - do you just have to take the damage in exchange for the items, like in Dark Souls?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Am I being thick or is there a way to drain the water in biome 3? I'd often find rooms with pools in an items below the surface, but whenever I jumped in I just took damage and spawned out again. Same goes for the lava-looking stuff, which I've never actually walked on - do you just have to take the damage in exchange for the items, like in Dark Souls?

No to all of the above. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Am I being thick or is there a way to drain the water in biome 3? I'd often find rooms with pools in an items below the surface, but whenever I jumped in I just took damage and spawned out again. Same goes for the lava-looking stuff, which I've never actually walked on - do you just have to take the damage in exchange for the items, like in Dark Souls?

 

Play even more of the videogame.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Gigawatt said:

After finishing Act 3 a couple of days ago I’ve just started Mass Effect Legendary edition, and it feels like walking in treacle. 

 

Heh. I can relate. Even Ratchet & Clank, which has pretty snappy combat at 60 fps, doesn't feel nearly as good to play as this. The dash is slower, the grapple is slower, the weapons are less punchy and the haptics and sound effects are pretty weak in comparison.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not that I’m terrified of the Rest failing or anything but does the game do any saving apart from when you die? I’d hate to lose the permanent upgrades I’ve gotten so far should the worst happen.

 

This feels like this gens Viewtiful Joe, tough as nails but once you master it becomes you’re fav game that ruins everything you play afterwards.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SpagMasterSwift said:

Not that I’m terrified of the Rest failing or anything but does the game do any saving apart from when you die? I’d hate to lose the permanent upgrades I’ve gotten so far should the worst happen.

 

This feels like this gens Viewtiful Joe, tough as nails but once you master it becomes you’re fav game that ruins everything you play afterwards.


Upgrades you unlock like suit artefacts and weapons traits are added to the pool, which means you can find them in future runs. :)
Permanent upgrades are things lke the blade and grapple, which you keep as well. You also keep Ether and shortcuts and you don't have to fight defeated bosses again unless you want to.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So the game is saving during your run, just not the position of your character. I can cope with that should the power go off. I'm a little intrigued as to what the layout is after you die at this point in the game, but not enough to actually die on purpose - that I'm sure is just around the corner...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SpagMasterSwift said:

So the game is saving during your run, just not the position of your character. I can cope with that should the power go off. I'm a little intrigued as to what the layout is after you die at this point in the game, but not enough to actually die on purpose - that I'm sure is just around the corner...

I'm pretty sure it only saves that stuff once you've finished a run. I've had a crash on rest mode and lost a pretty key item that I then had to find again. 

 

They should probably just put a save mode in, eh? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Gigawatt said:

After finishing Act 3 a couple of days ago I’ve just started Mass Effect Legendary edition, and it feels like walking in treacle. 

 

Ha, yes! I went back to Horizon ZD after I got the Returnal platinum the other day and had exactly the same experience. As in, literally wondering if there was some kind of new 30/60 Hz bug and it was running at 50% speed. I hope this passes and Returnal hasn't now ruined all other games for me...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm through Biome 5, I think.

 

Spoiler

Is there no boss for this level? I collected the three keys, went back to the hub room and opened the red door, expecting to get immediately ganked by some hefty boss...but there was no boss. I picked up the water boots, turned round, jumped into the pool and now I'm in the deep sea bit being pelted by respawning exploding jellyfish.

 

The game is glitching on me a bit here and there (items clipping through walls, audio slightly out in cutscenes) so I don't know what to believe.

 

Anyway, onwards!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

And done! Muahahahahaha. That was unexpected.

 

I took the same run that I killed the B3 boss with all the way to the end. The Pylon Driver gun completely breaks the game, ha, but I don't mind.

 

That was great! Now, to play it again and try to figure out exactly what the hell was happening...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fuck sake. 2 and a half hours into my next run after the credits rolled with about 250% integrity, maxed out artefacts and proficiency, absolutely tanking it through the citadel after taking down B1 and B2 bosses without breaking a sweat - hard crash, 'Something went wrong', booted back to the home screen.

 

Mother. Fucker.

 

Man, that shit is dispriting. Ten times more so than dying. I should have known something was coming because the frame rate was absolutely tanking beforehand. Consistent 60FPS this game ain't, especially when you're zipping about the place. The PS5 doesn't feel hot or anything, so I'm not sure what happened there.

 

Balls.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

After the 30th empty run through Biome 2 for the last glyph there, I've looked up the locations and yeah, I think my save file is borked. I've encountered this one (old) glyph that didn't count towards the total and it seems I have to start a new save from scratch to get that back. Oh well. It was fun while it lasted. I'll just wait for further patches (if any) before continuing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The only times I lost progress beyond my own play was through system updates. Super hapyy that I'm completely crash free, even after well over 100 hours. It all runs flawlessly for me. Not even a single glitch. I remember all the stories about Miles as well, and I think I had one visual glitch and that's it. Perhaps I won the lottery with my PS5 DE.

(It will probably explode tonight now that I wrote this)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've had multiple crashes with Returnal unfortunately. Including one that froze up the PS5 completely and I had to yank the power cord. That ended up corrupting my save file and I had to fall back on my cloud save.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

The only times I lost progress beyond my own play was through system updates. Super hapyy that I'm completely crash free, even after well over 100 hours. It all runs flawlessly for me. Not even a single glitch. I remember all the stories about Miles as well, and I think I had one visual glitch and that's it. Perhaps I won the lottery with my PS5 DE.

(It will probably explode tonight now that I wrote this)

 

Have you not had any FPS drops? Reading around online, the Citadel, with its more open areas, is notorious for it, apparently, and that's where I've certainly encountered them. I've read that restarting the console can fix this (something to do with freeing up the cache), but then, of course, you lose your run.

 

Housemarque really need to patch in some kind of save state system. Losing hours of progress is not fun. I came close to just flogging the game last night after it crashed out on me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

 

Have you not had any FPS drops? Reading around online, the Citadel, with its more open areas, is notorious for it, apparently, and that's where I've certainly encountered them. I've read that restarting the console can fix this (something to do with freeing up the cache), but then, of course, you lose your run.

 

Housemarque really need to patch in some kind of save state system. Losing hours of progress is not fun. I came close to just flogging the game last night after it crashed out on me.


Not really any noticeable ones. My experience has been similar to the DF test where they stated "it's about as locked 60 fps as a console game really is".


Probably some minor drops that I hardly noticed. Nothing that impacted the fun really.

Save function, yeah, I hope Housemarque is working on one as so many people are asking for it. Could get them more sales as well as I've seen people who are really exicted about it, but won't buy it without a save function. For me Rest Mode works almost flawlessly, but I have no kids to worry about that want to play something else. :)

I did have a good run ruined by a system update last week which was frustrating at first but then my next run was even better so I moved on. I do hope that my glyphs aren't glitched though as I kinda want the Plat. Normally I don't care about that shit but this is probably my favourite game since Bloodborne so I want to 100% it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I, too, was worried that a glyph in B2 was glitched but it was actually me watching a video and thinking I'd got a certain one when I hadn't, which means I now have the platinum after a touch over 40 hours.

 

From buying it on a whim because I needed something to play on my PS5 to thinking it's one of the most well-crafted games I've played in a while. I've got some inclination to play for fun and unlock more of the 4* traits (I never actually had a Hollowseeker with portal turrets in the whole time playing) but, for now, I will leave Selene in her spaceship to think about what she's done. Don't fear the reaper.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

Save function, yeah, I hope Housemarque is working on one as so many people are asking for it. Could get them more sales as well as I've seen people who are really exicted about it, but won't buy it without a save function. For me Rest Mode works almost flawlessly, but I have no kids to worry about that want to play something else. :)

 

There's a bit of a running gag in my house at the moment where if my wife or the kids want me for something and see me playing this, they'll say "oh, it's ok, it can wait... you'll be dead in a minute".

 

And that's mostly true.  Runs through B1 and B2 (especially with the shortcut to the boss in B2) usually don't take very long at all.  When I get to the point where a run is going to be longer than about an hour, this is going to have to be shelved until some kind of save function comes along - I just can't monopolise the PS5 for days at a time, and even if I could, there are other games I want to play too!

 

Now that I've found it, I'm quite enjoying the challenge mode through B1 though - some of the guns you get to use are awesome, and really make me want to get deeper into the game to unlock them properly :)

 

Almost beat the B2 boss last night.  Had a really good run through B1, the shop had a health vial and an astronaut, so I carried on through B1 to get enough cash to buy them both and hopped into B2, had a decent enough run through to the shortcut.  Got through the first 2 phases of the boss fairly easily, and then lost my mojo in phase 3.  Not to worry though, as I had the health vial and astronaut...

 

Except I'd forgotten to go and buy the bloody things... so died with the boss on about a third of his last health bar... and was left slightly perplexed as to why the astronaut hadn't worked... Doh!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.