Returnal - Do you see the White Shadow?

Vemsie

Played this for a bit last night and noticed that certain weapons I picked up had Red Lvl numbers, instead of the standard colour. Never seen that before. They didn’t seem any different to use though. Anyone know what the Red numbers signify?

9 minutes ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

I think it just means they are a few levels above your current proficiency. There may be more to it than that though so happy to be corrected.

Ah right! That makes a lot of sense. Guess it was added in a patch recently, as I’ve not played it much for a while.

Now sitting on 97% completion for most levels. Is that likely to mean I’m just missing some Scout Logs? I’m clearing the levels out each time but don’t seem to find any now.

I'm slowly working through Biome 3. Not really worked out the best way to deal with the flying turrets. 

What are people doing to prepare. Rinse Biome 1 then go to 3??

I moved on from this after defeating B6 for the first time and got stuck into Resi Village... and spent most of my time wishing I was playing this instead. I've now polished that off and have dived back in to mop up weapons, logs and so on. I genuinely haven't been grabbed by a game like this in so long, and especially in the shoot-em-up area. I'd be amazed if anything comes close to this for my game of the year at this point.

It's all about how the controls, feedback and immediacy come together to let the player not just enjoy it but feel like you're expressing yourself while playing. I've always struggled with games like RDR2 where the controls feel slow and cumbersome and I'm honestly worried it's so good on this front that it's going to spoil my enjoyment of other games.

56 minutes ago, Yuujiin said:

I'm slowly working through Biome 3. Not really worked out the best way to deal with the flying turrets. 

What are people doing to prepare. Rinse Biome 1 then go to 3??

I ended up rinsing b1 then doing the first part of b2 until you get to the short cut ( taking in any side missions on the way ) .. oh and making sure pop over to just before ixiom to get the weapon if its any good . Then into b3. I’ve done b4 now. So far the hardest part has been getting though b3 with enough firepower/health to finish b3 , that took an age .

1 hour ago, CrichStand said:

Ah right! That makes a lot of sense. Guess it was added in a patch recently, as I’ve not played it much for a while.

Now sitting on 97% completion for most levels. Is that likely to mean I’m just missing some Scout Logs? I’m clearing the levels out each time but don’t seem to find any now.

If you open the home menu while you're playing, the card thing with the task for each biome (not sure what these are actually called?) will tell you what you're missing.

1 hour ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

I think it just means they are a few levels above your current proficiency. There may be more to it than that though so happy to be corrected.

As far as I can tell it's any gun that is +2 or more above your current weapon. Could be wrong though. Bit of an odd thing to change. 

1 hour ago, Hewson said:

I moved on from this after defeating B6 for the first time and got stuck into Resi Village... and spent most of my time wishing I was playing this instead. I've now polished that off and have dived back in to mop up weapons, logs and so on. I genuinely haven't been grabbed by a game like this in so long, and especially in the shoot-em-up area. I'd be amazed if anything comes close to this for my game of the year at this point.

It's all about how the controls, feedback and immediacy come together to let the player not just enjoy it but feel like you're expressing yourself while playing. I've always struggled with games like RDR2 where the controls feel slow and cumbersome and I'm honestly worried it's so good on this front that it's going to spoil my enjoyment of other games.

Yeah I feel much the same. At 70 hours I'm close to finishing Act 3 but I doubt I'll stop. I think after that I'll do B1-3 all bosses and elite rooms. 

I take it they haven't added an NG+ or anything yet? I stopped after I could just complete it from start to finish over and over again so the challenge was kinda lost, not because I'm amazing but I put in over 70 hours over a few weeks. I really need more of this, the arcade mode sounds like a great idea!

So this is pretty hard, eh?

I’ve found the house but it says “cannot proceed until full game has finished downloading.” 

I’ve restarted it as well, but same issue. Anyone run into this nonsense?

11 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

Other than always on sprint and putting dash on one of the shoulder buttons (R1?), are there any other recommended tweaks I should be making to the controls?

The setting that makes you pick-up items with a button press instead of holding it down is useful.

I rinsed this again the other day and it continues to amaze. Got through Biome 3, died in 4 and then after some failures in 4 managed a home stretch all the way to nearly the end of biome 6, where a very nasty mini boss guarding the way forward just absolutely annhilated me. Had another go today but I'm mostly dying in biome 4, except one time I made it to the mini boss again in biome 6, and he just did so much damage I was dead in about 2 hits. Is a good approach for act 2 to go through all the levels from biome 3, as I find it really hard to avoid damage in that small arena in biome 6 and don't think I can get enough health/protection if I zip straight there?

Anyway, the game just gets better and better. The new weapons, the upgrades you unlock are so empowering and fun to use. The environments are awesome and the story still intrigues. As you unlock more and more Metroid style upgrades its so satisfying to clear out every last item from the map. But the highlight has to be the sound design, its just incredible and continues to impress even towards the end of the game. The weird alien sounds, the ambience, the music, the incredibly chunky weaponry, all in glorious 3D audio. The audio designers definitely need to win some awards for this game, I seriously think this must rank as one of the best soundscapes in a videogame of all time. 

There's just so much attention to detail in general, like how Selene's suit gets dirty depending on the environment she's in, or starts to literally fall apart when you are at low integrity. The leaves that get thrust into the air when you fire your weapon near them, or plants swaying with the impact of an explosion. In one of the house sections I noticed that with the real-time lighting the red flashing of my low health suit was lighting up the environment even in the prescripted events where you don't control the camera. 

It does have a few problems like the difficulty spikes, beams going through walls with no warning and stuff like that. Honestly I feel like it will take a while to clear biome 6 and it will kill the pacing of the story because the flow had been going so well up until this point. I tend to give up on roguelikes when the repetition sets in and so far this game has generally done a good job with its balancing, where you steadily progress through the biomes and story with enough second chances. Its use of shortcuts and no loading really helps with the grind that usually makes me give up these kind of games (still haven't finished Hades, for example). But I do worry I may be starting to hit that wall, especially since I've read a bunch of reviews on the game and its second act. 

That aside though its blown me away. Its the first truly next gen game for me, yes the gameplay isn't revolutionary but technically and presentationally it is on another level. I mean literally no loading screens through the whole game except the very occasional long corridor or fade to white screen. Its also the most 'active' game I've played in ages, where you're always on the move or fighting, or exploring - none of this slow walking with a character to hear exposition or constantly being interrupted by cutscenes (house aside), yet you can take the time to soak in the lore if you want to. Kudos to Housemarque for thinking big with their vision for this game and kudos to Sony for taking a chance away from your normal AAA blockbuster. 

The sound of the alt-fire coming online is ingrained in my brain! Chuu-eek!

9 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

I’ve found the house but it says “cannot proceed until full game has finished downloading.” 

I’ve restarted it as well, but same issue. Anyone run into this nonsense?

Google suggest that I have to uninstall and reinstall the game to get this to work.

Am I missing anything major by just carrying on with my current run because I can’t go into the house? I’m trying to get something to take down red forcefields, I think.

10 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Am I missing anything major by just carrying on with my current run because I can’t go into the house? I’m trying to get something to take down red forcefields, I think.

I’m still quite the noob at this (haven’t made it out of the first biome yet) so someone may be along in a minute to tell me I’m wrong, but I found the house a fair few runs before I could actually open the door, and could definitely take down the red stuff before I could get in the house, so I think you’re ok. Not sure what other stuff might be blocked to you though.

12 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Google suggest that I have to uninstall and reinstall the game to get this to work.

If you can't go into the house just continue to explore. You'll find the necessary item soon enough. 

20 minutes ago, Hylian said:

If you can't go into the house just continue to explore. You'll find the necessary item soon enough. 

Key or no key, this is what I get:

eHomckY.jpg

Only solution I can find is to delete and reinstall the game, which is bonkers this long after launch. 

I’ve got some good stuff, though, so am going to keep plugging along until I die, before going through the rigmarole.

43 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Key or no key, this is what I get:

eHomckY.jpg

Only solution I can find is to delete and reinstall the game, which is bonkers this long after launch. 

I’ve got some good stuff, though, so am going to keep plugging along until I die, before going through the rigmarole.

Yeah looks like the install has failed. Hopefully you don't have to delete your save too. 

I finally managed to get the credits rolling on this today during my lunch break! I'd paused it a couple of days earlier just prior to the final battle. I didn't have any healing supplies but I had a decent amount of health.

It was my first time facing the boss so I didn't know what to expect.

Things went well until the final phase of the boss when the nerves started to kick in. I got the boss down to a small slither of health and then I made too many mistakes under the pressure of it all. I died.

Then to my amazement, I was back! I forgot I'd used a Reconstructor whilst in the level. So with the knowledge of the bosses moves I jumped right back into the action and this time it went down without too much effort. 

My stats reported 1 day 21 hours of play time with 89 deaths!

Such a good game. But now thankfully the rest of my household can enjoy using the PS5 again. 😉

Nearly did Phrike on my third go at it - got caught out by that double swing laser beam, though. 

I’m kind of amazed at how good the starting pistol is, once I figured out it’ll shoot as quick as I can hammer the trigger. Eats through his health. 

I’m not much cop with the shotgun, though. Pretty much actively avoiding it at this point. 

2 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Nearly did Phrike on my third go at it - got caught out by that double swing laser beam, though. 

I’m kind of amazed at how good the starting pistol is, once I figured out it’ll shoot as quick as I can hammer the trigger. Eats through his health. 

I’m not much cop with the shotgun, though. Pretty much actively avoiding it at this point. 

I think many people avoid the Spitmaw in the beginning. I was the same, but I really love that weapon now for the first biome because I'm much more comfortable with the mechanics and like to fight up close and personal. The haptics for that gun are very satisfying.

I don’t think it helped that I didn’t have the melee when I used it. I’ve basically switched to pure melee for a lot of the basic enemies, as if one shots them. 

There are just a few enemies I have no idea how to deal with up close - those ent things, that big thing that jumps at you (it’s right arm is like a bat’s wing) and Phrike seems to be easier to deal with at a distance. 

I also just rolled the end credits, since my last post I did one long run where I started at biome 4 and did everything in each biome, including the biome 4 boss. By managing parasites and artifacts I managed to get over 250% integrity by the end, and resin shield helped a lot along the way. In biome 5 I was already having to start discarding artifacts to make room for new ones. I unlocked a new weapon but ended up using the rocket launcher for most of biome 6, with mega rocket, double explosion chance, tail fire and crucially the upgrade that fires an extra rocket if you hit. That last one really helped with fast moving enemies and I also had very good bonus damage on the weapon, so I was tearing through enemies providing I could land shots. The last boss (no spoilers) wasn't too bad at all, the homing rockets helped a lot and in fact took me a while to work out the mechanics because the rockets were doing half the work for me. I didn't even end up needing my 2 extra lives or the reconstructor!

Story is very interesting, it went kind of the way I was expecting given the hints given so far. Looking forward to continuing on to unlock more secrets. Just started another new game+ run but I should probably have a break after many hours sunk into that last run!

The end credits are a bit of an eye opener for the development of this game. The core team is very small considering, but there are an insane number of other studios and teams that have touched Returnal in some way. I ended up fast forwarding and it just kept on going. Unsurprisingly there are a huge number of sound design personell involved!

What a quality game. I guess my fears about getting stuck were unfounded, for me the balance was overall very good and more like a standard action adventure progression system with the roguelike elements just adding variety and challenge along the way. I never felt overpowered and always threatened despite no matter how upgraded I was. It may be that the diffulty and subsequent repetition required in the 2nd act that many reviewers beomaned was addressed in the latest balance patch. I'm interested to see how new game+ feels in terms of difficulty, and its nice that there are still lore things to uncover to reward more replayability. This and Hades have really shown how you can do a roguelike with story well, and also is evidence that you can still have amazing atmosphere and exploration in a roguelike without things getting stale. Back to the loop!   

I absolutely love how this game goes from “I’m never getting past level 1 omg I can’t believe I wasted £70 (rrp) on this, maybe computer games aren’t for me” to “shit, only need 3 cyphers for a platinum I’ll just hookshot past this mini boss to get to the other room he means nothing to me” in the space of about a week or two.

Just done a 3hr run on this. Cleaned out all of the last 3 levels with ease. Hit Proficiency Lv30 and bagged the trophy. Had a maximum damage HollowSeeker with Portal beam.. HUGE Health bar. Incredible set of Parasites and upgrades. 3 Silphium Vials. 2 Large Silphium Vials. Already beaten the last boss and seen the credits roll........but was not prepared for how difficult it was this time around. 

I was barely doing any damage to it but somehow managed to make it to the bosses 3rd phase and then........literally the whole screen was full of projectiles and lasers. It was impossible to do anything, as all of the ground and air was covered with an insane, never ending, unavoidable blanket of enemy fire.

Is that how difficult the last boss always is after seeing the credits roll?

And Phrike went down on the 6th go. Cheeky bugger.

Sadly my video has a pause in it where my wife asked me to get rid of a daddy longlegs. 😐

Anyway, I didn’t last very long in Biome 2 - this big Bulbasaur/crab thing really messed me up. I also saw a load of rebar in the damaged buildings in Biome 2, which doesn’t strike me as a very alien building material. I really hope it’s not “it was Earth all along,” story wise.

This is going to be one of those games you think about every minute you’re not playing it, isn’t it?

2 hours ago, mikeyl said:

I absolutely love how this game goes from “I’m never getting past level 1 omg I can’t believe I wasted £70 (rrp) on this, maybe computer games aren’t for me” to “shit, only need 3 cyphers for a platinum I’ll just hookshot past this mini boss to get to the other room he means nothing to me” in the space of about a week or two.

Absolutely. I don't actually think there's a game that compares. Goty for me so far, no question