Returnal - Do you see the White Shadow?

Vemsie

6 minutes ago, Moz said:

Just got to the last boss and my PS5 turned off. It won’t turn back on. I assume a power yank will fix it but I’m so mad I need to go for a walk. 

I really, really, really wish I was exaggerating. 

Gonna shoot Sony an email for a refund of this. Playtime be damned. 

It seems to me like it’s thrown me into a NG+ as I’m seeing elite forms of enemies before the normal forms, getting stuck in rooms which require some sort of double jump to get out of, and my objectives keep resetting and flipping. 

Mate. Have you looked into Sony’s refund policy?

This one?

You have attempted to reach a URL that no longer exists on salesforce.com. 

You may have reached this page after clicking on a direct link into the application. This direct link might be: 
• A bookmark to a particular page, such as a report or view 
• A link to a particular page in the Custom Links section of your Home Tab, or a Custom Link 
• A link to a particular page in your email templates 

If you reached this page through a bookmark, you are probably trying to access something that has moved. Please update your bookmark. 

If you reached this page through any of the other direct links listed above, please notify your administrator to update the link. 

If you reached this page through a link on our site, please report the broken link directly to our Support Team and we will fix it promptly. Please indicate the page you were on when you clicked the link as well as any other related information. We apologise for the inconvenience. 

Thank you again for your patience and assistance. And thanks for using salesforce.com!

The game isn’t running like shit now that I’ve hard crashed and yanked the power at least 😂

Edit, nvm, back to huge fps drops again. 

Did they do any balancing of this, at all? Like at all? Another two hour run of completely trivial difficulty after approx  50 runs where I barely got my foot out the door before being oneshot by some purple jittering elite thing. Did hard crashing my PS5 alter the difficulty again? Who knows. I finished the entire first two thirds of the game in the first handful of lives, beating the first three bosses first time, before the patch that reset the game back to alpha state arrived. 

Anyway after a completely laughably easy two hour jaunt through 5 and 6 I’m chucked into a room on the critical path where the framerate tanks and a another elite purple thing I haven’t seen before in any form wipes my health bar (taking up about a third of the width of the screen at this point) in two hits. No progress at all because it arbitrarily didn’t drop a gun worth using with any bars to fill up. I didn’t learn anything, I barely even got a look at it. What’s the point?

I’m running around with 50 ether because it keeps giving me shitloads for some reason, but nothing to spend it on. I’m not going to burn 10 ether on the vending machine in the spawning zone when it’s going to spawn a malformed elite in the first or second room half the time. There’s some correlation between them switching the scouts back on with the latest patch and the endless malformed enemies spawning all over the place as if I’ve got a backlog of “avenges” to clear. It’s bizarre and frustrating. I’m wondering if playing it offline might help. 

Sometimes the starting room has 100 obolites in for no apparent reason but there are no shops to spend them in. Sometimes there are 5 shops in five minutes but there’s no money to spend anywhere. I’ve had multiple runs in a row where I clear every room in a biome without seeing a single consumable besides the two which drops from the challenge room boss. 

The randomisation of the biomes doesn’t stand up to repeat plays at all either, it’s mostly the same rooms in the same configuration with chests and enemies in the same places every time. I’ve been running around popping eggs in 4 for days now after doing 1-2-3 in one sitting. 

It seems to me like they took a six hour PS+ game and tried to turn it into Hades late in development but broke half their systems in the process, then shoved it out the door for £70 (£70!!) anyway.

More bugs:

Turrets floating in midair.

“Another suit signal found” in rooms with no suit signal and vice versa.

Zipline thing launching at weird 90 degree angles and catapulting me into a pit.

I haven’t seen an “infected scout” in 25 runs now after seeing four or five on patch day (might be a mechanic I’m not understanding).

Parasites spawning inside geometry so I can’t pick them up.

Locked gates with nothing behind them.

Wildly different damage outputs. Turrets in the first room sometimes take 1 melee hit to kill. On the next run they take five or six.

My PS5 seems to be broken since the hard lock. My account page says I’m “live” as if I’m broadcasting. My online status is set to appear online but says “offline”. I can’t connect to the store because I’m not signed into PSN, and I can’t sign into PSN because I’m supposedly offline. In connection status, it says my LAN is connected and I’m signed into PSN. I can stream from Twitch, when I start my stream the “live” button disappears from my profile. 😬

Finally managed to complete B3. First time getting to the boss and had an astronaut, a revive at the redirect or waiting and a ton of health. Didn’t need any of them thanks to a level 14 Electropylon

Now to move on and explore B4

I was starting to think I would never get past B3 but this time I got some good RNG

I’ve finally allowed the game to upgrade to 1.3.7, but every time I start the game I get repeated ‘cannot install latest version’ error messages for a few minutes. I’m definitely on the latest version, I even deleted, rebooted and reinstalled it. Anyone else had this? Perhaps my save is glitched.

I have got the boss in B3 and had to put the ps5 into rest most whilst missus watched TV. I have the option of a thermogenic launcher with kills shot, or an electropylon with shellshock. Whilst one is going to give me a better chance of finally beating him?

Both are level 15

32 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

Is it worth deleting your save and starting over ? Something's really fucked your game up. 

I really don't want to play it all again only for it to start crashing again in 6. I'm logging a bug report now via their Discord then I'm gonna leave it for a bit. I already know there's no chance of getting a refund as I've put about 20 hours in, even though 15 of those have been in biome 4 popping eggs and getting oneshot over and over... :(

15 minutes ago, tobert said:

I have got the boss in B3 and had to put the ps5 into rest most whilst missus watched TV. I have the option of a thermogenic launcher with kills shot, or an electropylon with shellshock. Whilst one is going to give me a better chance of finally beating him?

Both are level 15

I beat the boss on my first attempt using a level 14 electropylon

I'm 20 hours in and still on Biome 2. I should've used that keyboard shortcut when I had a chance. I'm thinking of calling it a day. It's just a hateful game for me in terms of whatever randomness seeded my experience of it.

Hope my skill improves before I beat this biome 1 boss from what I’m seeing here!

Have had a few cracks at him now — I can see how close I am but can’t quite get him down. 

One habit I need to review is mopping up all the health to increase my bar. It’s sometimes leaving me a bit short for the boss / unable to do a top up before I jump in. 

Everyone’s skill improves, though it took me an age. I finished the game (proper ending) with 75 hours on the clock and 72 deaths (I doubt you’ll find anyone who’s ‘invested’ more time than that!). 10 of those hours were spent on Phrike. Just gone back for fun in the post-game trophy trawl and using a basic carbine I did him first go. You just get a flow that develops with experience, and an understanding of their move sets. Some friendly RNG also helps on the way to the bosses of course. Ultimately, perseverance pays off.

I despised Returnal after those first 10 hours, and later against bosses 2 and 3. But I got through them eventually, and now I fucking love the game. It also helps that the second half is a lot easier.

First go back at this for a few weeks and can now see the dead bodies of players I’d heard about and almost beat B2, which had a truly hateful final run to him that completely decimated a life. There’s was no way I’d get through that on one life.

14 hours ago, tobert said:

Both are level 15

How do you have the electro pylon?! I didn't get that until a later Biome... 

13 hours ago, Moz said:

I really don't want to play it all again only for it to start crashing again in 6. I'm logging a bug report now via their Discord then I'm gonna leave it for a bit. I already know there's no chance of getting a refund as I've put about 20 hours in, even though 15 of those have been in biome 4 popping eggs and getting oneshot over and over... :(

Can you share a video of what you're seeing?  I'd love to see how absolutely fucked your game is.  I'm share Housemarque would, too.

I'm at the end of Act 3 now... Spoiler endgame question below.

Spoiler

Just the final boss to go.  I've only ever got to him once, at the end of an epic 3-hour run, and he was quite easy at that point.  I might run through 4, 5 and 6 again to max everything out before I face him.

Is there any quick way to get to the biome 6 boss, though?  Or do you need to run through 4, take the underwater route, then do the whole of 6?

B4 boss down on the first attempt.

is there a quick shortcut to B5 or do I need to re run 4 to find the door?

I must be close to being able to enter the water now

I climbed the tower to the B4 boss again the other day, searching for something (which I eventually found elsewhere).  That music on the climb is AMAZING though.  I stood at the top just watching the boss and listening for a while.  So good.

I had a pretty amazing run last weekend. Beat the biome 2 boss on second attempt, and thought I’d investigate what biome 3 was like, fully expecting to get annihilated fairly rapidly. 

I ended up getting through the entire level and up to the boss (but used an astronaut in the process). However at that point I was on 60% health and had completely scoured the entire level and bought every available item/upgrade. 

I lasted until mid-way through the second phase, but I’d powered up the Reconstructor, so after dying I respawned with full health and gave it another go. 

The third phase seems.... challenging? I think I got killed from a wave of green bullets that came from behind me while I was facing the boss. No idea how anyone could get through that first time.

I’m now back outside the boss door and wondering how well it’s likely to go...

1 hour ago, Mike S said:

How do you have the electro pylon?! I didn't get that until a later Biome... 

It's unlocked from the start for the  special/delux edition of the game

34 minutes ago, catinthehat said:

I climbed the tower to the B4 boss again the other day, searching for something (which I eventually found elsewhere).  That music on the climb is AMAZING though.  I stood at the top just watching the boss and listening for a while.  So good.

Spoiled the video, although it's just the music...

Spoiler

The green/blue doors are worked so well in this. I don't know if other games have done it but making it crystal clear which paths will take you along the critical path and which ones won't is something l want to see much more of.

42 minutes ago, tobert said:

It's unlocked from the start for the  special/delux edition of the game

Aah, yeah, I forgot about that.

I imagine it makes mincemeat of Biome 1!