Returnal - Do you see the White Shadow?

Vemsie

4 minutes ago, Thor said:

I know I took the piss out of @jonamok for being shit, but you are incorrect. On one run tonight I explored all I could of Biome 1 apart from one yellow barriered room for which the upgrade was not available, and all I got was the one 25% extension to integrity and what little I could find from resin. Additionally, when it comes to RNG, here's the the third room of Biome 1 on one of my runs tonight where I still had the starting pistol:

Yeah, I just gave up in the end.

It's completely random, we all really are at the mercy of RNG with this game. :)

Standing still doesn't work - you're supposed to kill it.

Also, I refer to my previous comment regarding good luck on your next run :)

Just now, Lyrical Donut said:

Standing still doesn't work - you're supposed to kill it.

Read below the vid. :P I said I just gave up in the end. I had the starting pistol and it was just the third room. It's like when Tom Cruise breaks a leg while training in Edge of Tomorrow - just die and start over. :)

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

Read below the vid. :P I said I just gave up in the end. I had the starting pistol and it was just the third room. It's like when Tom Cruise breaks a leg while training in Edge of Tomorrow - just die and start over. :)

Or, in your own words - get fucking gud :eyebrows:

I've encountered similar, several times. These encounters, even though they seem harsh the first time you encounter them, teach you how to deal with things later on. 

7 minutes ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

Yeah you are completely at the mercy of the rng god's with this. Part of the fun though I guess.

I've got to agree with @Vemsiehere. My Biome 1-3 run resulted in me taking down the boss at 3 first time through wise(ish) decision making.

Spoiler

I thought I was some hot shit entering the challenge room in biome 3 with the worst malfuctions that I needed to get rid of - barely scraped it. But got rid of said malfuctions and was pretty tanky for the boss encounter.

Except with the huge variety of positives/negatives - and the lack of correlation between the two when you gamble, which you nearly always have to do to get enough power to progress - it's more like playing blackjack. Except you don't know what number you're trying to get to and you don't know what cards are in the deck.

Boss 2 down on my second go at it. Under normal circumstance that would seem impressive. But the multiple failed cycles between the first and second boss run had me absolutely jacked, not in terms of weapon and equipment (although I was fairly kitted out), but pure mental focus for what I had to do.

Again, I ended up doing things automatically purely on instinct but was still clenching my arsehole like it was about collapse. 

25 minutes ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

I just can't do the last biome. I stormed through 3, 4 and 5 so was feeling all chuffed with myself but 6 just seems beyond me. I've got to the boss a couple of times, but used all my heals and stuff doing so, so it's futile by that point. 

Couple of tips:

Spoiler

During the boss fight there’s some destructible scenery that can net you a couple of silphium chunks, so you can get some health back during the fight. This is at the back wall, away from the boss.

Also, during the level, if you’re not already proficiency level 30, you can grind out the enemies that spawn the little octopuses (easier when they’re shielded) to level up and get better weapons and unlock traits, making you much stronger.

Lastly, and possibly most importantly, save all your keys from biome 4. You should pick up 1-2 if you rush through, and you can get 3 if you really scour the area. The locked doors in biome 6 generally contain loads of health, artefacts and consumables. Or weapons!

I made some progress this morning, and actually got to the Biome 2 boss. The section in 2 where you transition indoors and Severeds start turning up had been kicking my ass a few too many times, but I have now cleared it! Phew.

I ended up farming the entirety of Biome 1 first, with the exception of the challenge room (and things I couldn't get to) just to get a gun and some health. So I killed Phrike and on to the Crimson Wastes I went. Slowly but surely I worked my way through it, really trying to safeguard my health (and not really succeeding) but I got there.

I nearly got him, with the help of my Astronaut figure, but keeled over halfway through his last phase. Oh well. At least I know I can get there now!

Onwards and upwards (at some later point. I need a rest.)

It's a great game.

Had a dreadful run of RNG today on Biome 4. Had THREE mini boss rooms, which I didn't think was possible. Flooded with my least favourite of the enemies in pretty much every room. Lost my astronaut, lost the respawn room that I was annoyed at myself for spending the Ether on in the first place. I got hardly any max integrity pickups and was really sloppy in pretty much every room. I was going to scrap the run and do something else but I'd picked up a data cube and a Carbine with leech health so decided to keep playing until I'd unlocked both of those and hopefully unlock the boss shortcut too. 

I assume you all know where it went? Leech health is crazy OP. I had none of my key go to buffs (Adrenaline health bonus, fix on low integrity, resin shield) and was doing very little damage compared to other guns I'd had before, but I got to the boss, concentrated on him and just dodged and chipped away while restoring my health as I went. It was great, that boss is bloody incredible in terms of looks/music, and it felt properly bullet hell. I've not replayed any of the bosses but I'll definitely do a boss run once I'm done. I think RNG is obviously massive, and there's no way I'd have gotten through the boss if I hadn't had leech health, but what I like is that you'll normally get at least one thing that'll help you out and get you through. 

Onto biome 5 I go! 

I am really struggling with Biome 5. Ive basically died three times in the first room! Very annoying.

What am I doing wrong? My L19 Carbine barely seems to scratch the enemies there. Is this the problem? It was awesome for Biome 4. I had leech rounds as well as rising whatever.

5 minutes ago, kempstar said:

I am really struggling with Biome 5. Ive basically died three times in the first room! Very annoying.

What am I doing wrong? My L19 Carbine barely seems to scratch the enemies there. Is this the problem? It was awesome for Biome 4. I had leech rounds as well as rising whatever.

I think biome 5 seems like a huge difficulty spike at first, I'd just keep plugging away, the thing that's going to make the most difference at this point is to just level up your weapon traits. Also, I've mentioned this before, but:

Spoiler

Keep hold of a key from biome 4 to unlock the door in the hub of biome 5. You'll get something that will allow you to get more out of biome 4, so you'll be better prepared hitting biome 5 on future runs.

New patch seems alright!

Only played one run, but I haven't seen any scouts. They aren't mentioned in the patch notes either. Did encounter one new bug though: the revival chamber in biome 6 didn't load in. The symbol appeared on the map, but the thing itself didn't load in - it was like a big invisible wall at the end of the chamber, and no, I tried but I couldn't find a button prompt to use it while it was invisible.

So I think I just died to the same mini-boss as before in 6, it's pretty tough, it fires so many different things out I couldn't even see what to evade after 30 seconds and hten I was dead. Any tips please?

1 minute ago, Minion said:

So I think I just died to the same mini-boss as before in 6, it's pretty tough, it fires so many different things out I couldn't even see what to evade after 30 seconds and hten I was dead. Any tips please?

The big orbs?

Spoiler

Try standing on a slope, so you can back up as the rings approach you. Use a pillar or dash through the blue spheres to avoid those. They have relatively small HP, so just focus fire and take them out quick.

3 minutes ago, imp said:

The big orbs?

Hide contents

Try standing on a slope, so you can back up as the rings approach you. Use a pillar or dash through the blue spheres to avoid those. They have relatively small HP, so just focus fire and take them out quick.

Erm it's the bit where it says

Spoiler

find a way pass the gap and then puts you in a small room with the thing that yeah fires loads and loads of shit at you?

Hot take:

Whilst it feels good, the carbine isn’t that great. Especially rising pitch which takes an age to ramp up and hinders movement. It’s a lot better with the armour piercing/heavy ammo upgrade that turns it into a semi auto with a smaller magazine.

Second hot take:

The pistol side arm is rather good. I used one to take down the third boss. Complaining about the “starting pistol” shouldn’t be a thing because it’s level will be matched to the enemies you’re fighting against early doors.

46 minutes ago, Minion said:

Erm it's the bit where it says

Reveal hidden contents

find a way pass the gap and then puts you in a small room with the thing that yeah fires loads and loads of shit at you?

OK, I think I know the one you mean. Be on the lookout for the pointy red projectiles as those cause suit malfunctions on hit. Watch out when he glows red, as he'll lunge at you - you might need to dodge a tad earlier than you expect.

I think the run back to the third boss is too long. I thought the bridge would be close to the start but there’s still so much of the level you have to do to reach the tower. 

I just died at the boss’ final bit despite having an astronaut and a parasite revive and the thought of doing all that again is painful. Not so painful that I won’t have another go in a couple of hours, mind you. 

This game in a nutshell:

Spoiler

Decide to have a proper go at Ixion. Scoured every room in B1 AND B2. Worked really hard to get the right gun, add ons, leechy bois etc. I'm prepped to the max.

And I kill him! Yay, f u biiiatch! Just in time too - hardly any health. 

Cool - the grappling hook! Hey try it out. Ok. Nice! I like it. Now what? Oh, it want me to grapple over there. Will do. I'm tooled up, will start ripping B3 when I get there!

Grappple! Little bit of a drop to the landing. Aaaaaaand death. 

WHAT!?

Oh yeah. One of my parasites dealt damage on big falls. :hmm: FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.

33 minutes ago, mexos said:

This game in a nutshell:

Hide contents

Decide to have a proper go at Ixion. Scoured every room in B1 AND B2. Worked really hard to get the right gun, add ons, leechy bois etc. I'm prepped to the max.

And I kill him! Yay, f u biiiatch! Just in time too - hardly any health. 

Cool - the grappling hook! Hey try it out. Ok. Nice! I like it. Now what? Oh, it want me to grapple over there. Will do. I'm tooled up, will start ripping B3 when I get there!

Grappple! Little bit of a drop to the landing. Aaaaaaand death. 

WHAT!?

Oh yeah. One of my parasites dealt damage on big falls. :hmm: FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.

Am sure you know Big falls damage can be avoided by dashing just before the ground .... the trick is remembering to do it 

I did not know! Thanks :)

It could have been anything really - just the game's typical way of giving with one hand and smashing you in the face with the other. 

Accurate photo after said event:

image.png.62e9990759f52e9adf47b42edfcb0fdb.png

• Vemsie changed the title to Returnal - Do you see the White Shadow?