Returnal - Do you see the White Shadow?

Vemsie

1 minute ago, Uncle Mike said:

It changes from being Small/Medium/Large Silphium, to being a lump of Silphium Resin. So yes, it changes.

Oooohhh. That's handy to know for when you have a malfunction that requires a resin pickup to clear. 

So you know those enemies that are shielded by a red bubble? I swear I once or twice had a weapon perk or parasite or item that allowed me to damage enemies through that bubble, and I've never been able to find out what triggered it. Anybody got a clue what I'm talking about?

edit: I'm 99% sure it always happened with the Hollowphaser weapon and for the longest time I thought it was the Phaser perk but when I started testing it isn't. It's not Waves either.

16 minutes ago, Crhis said:

Well, that's the credits. It was only my 3rd or so life on Biome 4 but I slowed down, picked up my augments, and just snowballed all the way through to the end. I ended up stacking a leech weapon + regen on adrenaline + regen on low health + astronaut figure + revive parasite so I felt pretty much invincible.

Absolutely fantastic game.

Spoilery question about what to do next

Reveal hidden contents

It's dropped me back in to Biome 4 but I heard there was something in the ship where you can teleport back to 1-3? I can't find it. Is it locked until I do something else first? I've been to the house again and finished the scene, and now when I return it's "dark" but Selene keeps talking about burning it down?

Spoiler

There should now be a machine in the ship you can use that takes you back to biome 1. It's in a room you didn't have access to before completing the game.

5 minutes ago, df0 said:

So you know those enemies that are shielded by a red bubble? I swear I once or twice had a weapon perk or parasite or item that allowed me to damage enemies through that bubble, and I've never been able to find out what triggered it. Anybody got a clue what I'm talking about?

edit: I'm 99% sure it always happened with the Hollowphaser weapon and for the longest time I thought it was the Phaser perk but when I started testing it isn't. It's not Waves either.

There’s a few things that let you do this. The big one is an alt-fire that breaks shields. There’s also an artefact that gives you a 25% chance to do this upon a successful overload or something IIRC. 

7 minutes ago, df0 said:

There's a specific alt-fire mode called Shieldbreaker, for one.

Ah, Shieldbreaker. Ok, but I'm confident I did damage through the shield without the Alt-Fire.

Also, I've no clue how Overload works. I got the Trophy by sheer luck :lol: 

Just now, df0 said:

Ah, Shieldbreaker. Ok, but I'm confident I did damage through the shield without the Alt-Fire.

Also, I've no clue how Overload works. I got the Trophy by sheer luck :lol: 

Overload is the Gears of War style reload window.

11 minutes ago, df0 said:

There is an "armour piercing" trait, which I assume goes through shields (I don't know of other armour...yet)

I asked google:

The Overload mechanic is similar to an active reload. If you deplete your weapon's energy, it will need a second to cool down. When this happens, a meter will appear in the middle of the screen. The meter will run from left to right, and in the middle is a small window — if you hit R2 while it's in this range (the meter turns yellow), the cooldown will end and you'll have performed an Overload.

If you fail an Overload by hitting R2 too early or too late, the cooldown will take slightly longer.

Ah so that is what that thing on screen is.

42 minutes ago, Majora said:

Hide contents

There should now be a machine in the ship you can use that takes you back to biome 1. It's in a room you didn't have access to before completing the game.

Thanks, not sure how I missed that!

7 minutes ago, Thor said:

So what do you do with all the red bubbled turrets, run away?

Get close and hit it with the sword.

I was just wondering what the weapon perk/artefact was :) 

Yeah, the trick is obviously to get that close without getting hit, and to differentiate between the slow lobbers and the fast streamers (do they look different?) But I close in to turrets also.

But yes, tricky to do that without taking a hit. And when you're trying to not get hit so you can extend the health, it's a tough choice.

12 minutes ago, df0 said:

Get close and hit it with the sword.

I was just wondering what the weapon perk/artefact was :) 

Ooooh, I misread your post, I thought you'd genuinely forgotten about using the sword. :lol:

Regarding the risk of going in close or not. If I wind up in a lockdown room and one of the fuckers is shielded I just make a beeline for them to twat them with the sword. If I get hit, so be it. It's a risk, but I feel dealing with those enemies first is the best course of action. Of course, I haven't made it past Biome 3 yet (due to limited playtime). Maybe I'll be more conservative in later biomes, but I do enjoy wading in with my sword in Biome 1 now instead of warily peeking around corners. :)

12 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

Yeah, the trick is obviously to get that close without getting hit, and to differentiate between the slow lobbers and the fast streamers (do they look different?) But I close in to turrets also.

But yes, tricky to do that without taking a hit. And when you're trying to not get hit so you can extend the health, it's a tough choice.

There's only one turret type per biome, so you'll know what to expect if you remember which type belongs where. 

Just now, imp said:

There's only one turret type per biome, so you'll know what to expect if you remember which type belongs where. 

Not true in my experience. 

• Vemsie changed the title to Returnal - Do you see the White Shadow?