Returnal - Do you see the White Shadow?

Vemsie

23 minutes ago, Hewson said:

I should hate it. It should fell repetitious and frustrating. But the actual experience of playing it is a joy and I'm still plugging away very happily.

I think this is what sets Returnal apart from others, you've always made progress, you just immediately don't see it. We are so used to assigning starting over at the beginning as failure when in actuality it's like entering the gym on a new day to add fresh gains to the progress you've already made

1 hour ago, Timmo said:

Can you explain data cubes to me? I've only found two so far, losing one. Are you saying I can go back to the ship and dunk them there?

I thought you unlocked new artifacts by buying them at the machine next to the ship. Are datacube items in addition to this?

Can anyone explain these systems?

Data cubes have to be put into a data cube machine - there is one of those machines per level. (On the first level it's after Phrike so if you find a data cube in area 1 you'll have to murder him again).

Data cubes must be put into a machine in the same biome they were found in. eg: If you pick up a cube in area 1 and go to area 2 you'll lose it.

You can only carry 1 data cube at a time but can deposit multiple if you find more than 1 in the same biome (I've found 2 in an area once and deposited both successfully). If you pick up a data cube whilst carrying one, it will replace it.

You can't store them anywhere other than on your person (so not in the ship.)

If you die, you lose the data cube you're carrying.

Once you've put the data cube in the machine the item it unlocks will be unlocked permanently as a random drop.

The machine at the ship/crash site takes ether and also unlocks a random item permanently as a random drop, nothing to do with data cubes but works in the same manner and also rather handy.

You can unlock some very cool shit with data cubes (and the crash site machine). Adrenaline siphon (get 5% health back per damage dealt per adrenaline level starting at level 1) and Damage Siphon (a consumable that lasts for 2 hits and gives you equal (I think) health for damage dealt). The former is great for doing the levels, the latter is great for bosses in a pinch.

30 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Data cubes have to be put into a data cube machine - there is one of those machines per level. (On the first level it's after Phrike so if you find a data cube in area 1 you'll have to murder him again).

Data cubes must be put into a machine in the same biome they were found in. eg: If you pick up a cube in area 1 and go to area 2 you'll lose it.

You can only carry 1 data cube at a time but can deposit multiple if you find more than 1 in the same biome (I've found 2 in an area once and deposited both successfully). If you pick up a data cube whilst carrying one, it will replace it.

Once you've put the data cube in the machine the item it unlocks will be unlocked permanently as a random drop.

The machine at the ship/crash site takes ether and also unlocks a random item permanently as a random drop, nothing to do with data cubes but works in the same manner and also rather handy.

You can unlock some very cool shit with data cubes (and the crash site machine). Adrenaline siphon (get 5% health back per damage dealt per adrenaline level starting at level 1) and Damage Siphon (a consumable that lasts for 2 hits and gives you equal (I think) health for damage dealt). The former is great for doing the levels, the latter is great for bosses in a pinch.

a pinch :(

40 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Great explanation, the only thing I'd like to add is that there are 3 data cubes in each biome, and they'll always appear in the same place, so if you lose one during a run, just remember to look out for the same room the next time.

31 minutes ago, Strafe said:

This isn't the case. I've cashed in Datacubes from the first biome at the Processor in the second, ones from the fourth in the fifth, etc.

The Processor in the first biome is the only one you need to re-beat a boss to use, so if I found a Datacube in that area I tended to wait until I got to the second biome instead. Also worth noting that you can use a Processor multiple times in a single run, so in the scenario above I could process the 'cube from the first biome then teleport back to any I might have found in the second biome and process those, too.

2 hours ago, Hewson said:

The £70 price tag is a huge shame - I really hope that Housemarque is ultimately rewarded for what they've created here - but the thing that baffles me is seeing people arguing in other threads that it's somehow a budget game. It's a really towering achievement in terms of visuals, audio and gameplay.

Indeed, it is a magnificently presented game in every respect and nothing about it (apart, maybe, from the bugs!) suggests budget.

I think £70 is too much for any game (although I suspect most of us paid a modest amount less) but, as I briefly argued in that thread, in terms of value it is delivering very well for virtually everyone here who is playing it. I must be up to thirty hours now and am sill only jut poking about in the first section of Biome 2 so am doing pretty well on the bang per buck. Compared against a 15 hour run through of RE 8 (with a very limited replay potential) which was being heralded as being a fair price at £50, this is practically a bargain and, for me, demonstrably better value.

As for Phrike, I spent almost twenty hours playing the first Biome and only attempted him 2 or 3 times as I was having too much fun clearing all the rooms (until greed inevitably got the better of me) but he is not too bad so long as you have a moderately well boosted suit/weapon and just remember to always be moving and firing. When I did beat him (on maybe my 4th or 5th attempt) I was well specced and totally  in the zone and, amazingly, didn't even need the spaceman. It is certainly worth getting your health bar as high as possible though - the 25% boost in the shop is pretty much essential...

1 minute ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

I'm having a rough old time with this today. Shit guns, nightmare rooms really early on when I still have a pistol... Urgh. 

CHARACTER BUILDING.

13 minutes ago, Ferine said:

This isn't the case. I've cashed in Datacubes from the first biome at the Processor in the second, ones from the fourth in the fifth, etc.

The Processor in the first biome is the only one you need to re-beat a boss to use, so if I found a Datacube in that area I tended to wait until I got to the second biome instead. Also worth noting that you can use a Processor multiple times in a single run, so in the scenario above I could process the 'cube from the first biome then teleport back to any I might have found in the second biome and process those, too.

The only times I've found multiple cubes within the same biome, the second has been in one of those timed platforming sections. I swapped the cube out because who wants to deal with that stress a second time, but there's no way to go back and get the one you dropped so you need to do another run anyway. :hmm:

I've only got one cube left though, and it's in biome 3, which I find the most annoying. It's really hard to get away with blasting straight there since everything kills you in two hits. I might chance it though, I've seen speed runners slip through the entire game giving zero fucks.

2 hours ago, Timmo said:

The biome 1 boss is a big roadblock but honestly, you're better off just going straight there and not worrying about RNG. Your experience against the boss is much more valuable than any combination of items and weapon you can take. Just focus on learning the boss over anything else. If it helps, don't bother with active reloads and just focus on dodging everything, you have as much time as you need. 

thank, perversely I still like the level 1 run as the gameplay feels so good. It’s only the last phase that gets me but he will fall. 

Getting better at Biodome 5. Final road block is one of the key rooms, that third wave is tough. I'm not too certain how to deal with those enemies, need more practice.

35 minutes ago, macosx said:

thank, perversely I still like the level 1 run as the gameplay feels so good. It’s only the last phase that gets me but he will fall. 

To echo what others said, you got this. Get a ranged weapon - not shotgun - and learn the pattern. If you can get to Phase 3 consistently, all you need it a little practice.

Tip in case you did not know; if you have full health and pick up 3 health orbs (see the 2 wee horizontal bars to the left your health bar? Those keep track of how many you have picked up), your max health increases. Try to work with that, in other words if you are at full health aim at picking up those green orbs as soon as possible.

7 minutes ago, df0 said:

if you have full health and pick up 3 health orbs (see the 2 wee horizontal bars to the left your health bar? Those keep track of how many you have picked up), your max health increases.

That's not how it works. The "max integrity" pickups are distinct from the usual integrity pickups. You don't have to have full integrity for the max integrity to increase. 

But if you're at full health, all green pickups turn into max integrity pickups, instead of just topping up your health. So the trick is to try to only pick them up when your health is already full, in order to build up your health bar. Obviously this is easier to do in biome 1, where you can warp back to the ship to top up your health by sleeping. So do that before picking up green items.

5 minutes ago, Hylian said:

That's not how it works. The "max integrity" pickups are distinct from the usual integrity pickups. You don't have to have full integrity for the max integrity to increase. 

What? Nah.

Guaranteed I picked up 3 regular integrity pickups at full integrity and after 3 my max integrity increased.

No.

First things first, you need to be at full health. To the left of your Health Bar (I'm using that now instead of Integrity) are 2 or 3 horizontal bars. If you pick up a regular health orb, you notice how one of those horizontal bars fills up. Fill all of em and you get an increase to your max hp.

Basically, don't get shot, ever. That's what you're supposed to learn (without ever being told.)

You need to do two conflicting things, and get good at it. Don't get hit whilst also getting to the recently-deceased bodies of the enemies quickly in order to scoop up their obolites (otherwise you can't buy stuff.)

The game is trying to encourage you to move a lot. Turtling behind a pillar and only moving when they flank you is not the way. Use your dash and your melee for their invincibility. (Not that I'm good at this.)

Not getting shot is probably most important.

4 minutes ago, Hylian said:

So if I'm in a room and there's a regular pickup, and I leave it, then come back at full health it will have changed? 

Yes.

1 minute ago, Uncle Mike said:

The game is trying to encourage you to move a lot. Turtling behind a pillar and only moving when they flank you is not the way. Use your dash and your melee for their invincibility. (Not that I'm good at this.)

This is a large part of why this game is so good. Once you get confident you start dashing through the attacks, using the powerful melee and get paid while doing it. Shotgun is a hard weapon to work with but becomes much more effective when you get used to this more aggressive style of play. 

1 minute ago, df0 said:

No.

Yes tho.

You're not at full health: pickup tops up health.

You are at full health: pickup adds to max integrity.

If you first see a green pickup while at lower health and later return to it at full health, the green pickup is still there - the same old green pickup - but its function will have changed from the former to the latter. Source: I used to do this regularly.

NB I've not really played this since last Sunday because I've had a lousy eye infection which makes demanding twitch gameplay... difficult and irritating. But I doubt the above has changed. Has it?

4 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

The game is trying to encourage you to move a lot. Turtling behind a pillar and only moving when they flank you is not the way.

You're entirely correct, of course, but one of my favourite moments in the entire game was essentially door-scumming the first automaton I came across in the third level. Legged it to the previous room, backed away far enough for the door to close on him, then just inched forward until the door opened, fired a rocket at the fucker and immediately backed away again. Have that you big bastard.

Turned into quite an effective strategy after that, until a Severed in another area teleported into the safe room and melee'd me to death. 

Well, that's the credits. It was only my 3rd or so life on Biome 4 but I slowed down, picked up my augments, and just snowballed all the way through to the end. I ended up stacking a leech weapon + regen on adrenaline + regen on low health + astronaut figure + revive parasite so I felt pretty much invincible.

Absolutely fantastic game.

Spoilery question about what to do next

Spoiler

It's dropped me back in to Biome 4 but I heard there was something in the ship where you can teleport back to 1-3? I can't find it. Is it locked until I do something else first? I've been to the house again and finished the scene, and now when I return it's "dark" but Selene keeps talking about burning it down?

Hang on, the answer is no, isn't it? But perhaps I'm being pedantic. The small green silphium pickups will either replenish health lost, or if health is full grant a step toward increasing integrity. But the actual item itself does not change, it just has a different effect depending on the status of your heath bar.

edit: This thread moves faster than those flying bastards that swoop at you!! 

• Vemsie changed the title to Returnal - Do you see the White Shadow?