Returnal - Do you see the White Shadow?

Vemsie

13 minutes ago, mexos said:

... I say 'get phucked' out loud. Then leave it. What an awful gun, I'll take the pea shooter over it. 

On the subject of swearing, I swear a lot at this game. AT the game, at baddies I've minced when I finally get an op weapon. Yeah. lots of swearing. 

2 goes now at the second baddie. I just can't time the 

Hide contents

dash when the blue rings come. I fuck it up every time. :doh: Too much for my old brain to deal with.

Spoiler

I'm sure you're aware already, but you can hold the dash button for more invincibility, or jump over the rings.

5 minutes ago, Lyrical Donut said:

Hide contents

I'm sure you're aware already, but you can hold the dash button for more invincibility, or jump over the rings.

Yeah I just get a bit overwhelmed by it all. Another few goes and hopefully I can do it!

58 minutes ago, Mike S said:

It was a punishment?! 

That's actually amazing for its cruelty. 

This game! 

No, no, it throws up text something to the effect of “you will lose your current run if you do this” before you play the daily challenge. 

Had my first run at Biome 2 boss and got them down to 50% of Phase 3. On my first run :blink: I was doing shit without even thinking and had I not completely lost sight of the fucker at one point during Phase 2 where I took a few hits I’m pretty sure I would have triumphed. I have to clarify that I have spent HOURS in Biome 2 so was well tuned into what the boss had for me, even though some of it was still “get yourself to fuck” material.

It getting harder to explain what this game is. The feeling it generates both when playing and then when not playing but thinking about it. I’m pretty sure if I had big chunk of gaming time I would simply get lost in a Returnal trance and if I had made zero actual ‘progress’ in the game at the end of it then that would be absolutely fine. Incredible!

14 minutes ago, imp said:

No, no, it throws up text something to the effect of “you will lose your current run if you do this” before you play the daily challenge. 

Bah, that's a bit disappointing.

A challenge in which the player risked all of their progress would be a brilliant move.

2 minutes ago, Mike S said:

A challenge in which the player risked all of their progress would be a brilliant move.

We had that, it was installing update 1.3.3.

I had quite a chill session tonight, I have made it to biome 3 but just spent my time in biome 1 getting gear. I am familar with most of the room types and enemies so it's fairly straightforward, although a containment room put a good fight. The core gameplay loops are just so satisfying and polished that it was fun just going room from room smashing baddies and hoovering up loot.  In that respect it reminds me a little of destiny

Earlier this evening I was wondering if anyone's started speedrunning this game yet, and sure enough they are.

Current world record is just under 6 goddamn minutes for an any% NG+ run (everything already unlocked). The strat seems to just be book it as fast as possible to the shortcut, and then straight to the final boss without killing a single enemy or picking up anything beyond the calibrator to level up at the start of the last level and the gun provided before the boss. Guess it makes sense as you move so damn fast in this game that nothing is going to catch you! Honestly, this one looks hard to improve on already, the guy got really lucky with an excellent weapon at the end, making short work of the last boss.

The "all bosses" category looks promising - a bit more strategy involved here, mainly choosing to pick up health upgrades along the way, but quite similar in that the player just runs to each boss without hesitation and brings them down with the provided pistol.

I wonder what the scene will look like for "fresh file" speedruns...

Completed it, mate.

I’m going to say that the final boss isn’t particularly hard. None of them are really once you get the patterns sorted. In fact I died most on the first one but I guess that was because I was new to the game. I died far more times during the levels than I did at the bosses.

1st boss was probably 5 or 6 attempts.

2nd boss first attempt

3rd boss second attempt

4th boss first attempt

5th boss second attempt - though I used a reconstructor so was able to go straight back to him after the first fail.

You’re at the mercy of RNG for sure but as long as you take the time to farm a bit you’ll have a wealth of options to get a build you like and a chunky health bar to see you through. Take the time to deposit into the machine in the crash area to unlock new stuff as well as data cubes.

Adrenaline syphon artefact is an excellent find as you basically get health for kills.

2 hours ago, imp said:

Daily challenge. It does give you a warning, to be fair. 

Ah, my bad.

Had an amazing run tonight but blew it toward the end of the third biome. Was in a lockdown room that was perfectly manageable but decided to use the ability that doubles damage but inhibits movement. What I didn't realise is that Housemarque's definition of inhibit is stop, rather than hinder or limit. 

Death by automaton. :(

The game is so addictive. Even in the early biomes, I still find myself just wanting to explore everywhere. :)

Boss 4 down but starting to lose interest. Went into Biome 5 and first room (3 new big enemies and 6 turrets) wrecked me. I barely tickled them

The reset in Biome 4 just brings back and amplifies all the earlier problems. Punishingly difficult, not challengingly so. risk/reward near impossible to judge - but also mandatory to hope for power, RNG dependency becoming more and more obvious (5 runs in a row straight into a combat room with 10 enemies with 3 varieties - thanks! ).

When the game works, it's brilliant - my run through B1/2/3 that got me here was great, and I'd managed to craft an interesting build. But that's gone now - and it seems to go out of it's way to stop you getting there.

Back to being basic bitch against stupendously tough enemies - but more often than not it feels like a time sink hoping for a decent combo. You're better off just dying early if things take a bad turn (or you take a couple of hits from the enemies shooting you from off screen). And even then you'll sometimes get smashed by a mini boss you're utterly unequipped to deal with because you got a different weapon combo.

Any tips of the enemies that fire out 4 purple beams that converge on you? You can't dodge though them, and they seem to track so always converge. Feeling like guaranteed damage but I must be missing something?

Also - are community obelisks no longer working? Can put mats in but they never seem to progress to rewards/unlock to repeat?

21 minutes ago, Hexx said:

Any tips of the enemies that fire out 4 purple beams that converge on you? You can't dodge though them, and they seem to track so always converge. Feeling like guaranteed damage but I must be missing something?

Spoiler

Purple stuff can't be dashed through, only evaded via strafing, jumping or using the environment for cover.

1 hour ago, teddymeow said:

I love this but I don't think it's really for me.

It feels like you're too at the mercy of the RNG for drops to make actually getting good truly achievable.

I can totally see where you’re coming from with that, having grown up playing arcade games myself......but at the same time my opinion differs.  Having put 20hrs+ into this now, I think the way this game handles a lot of stuff is borderline genius! 

I mentioned it earlier in the thread but there have been many times where it feels the game is playing me, just as much as I am playing the game. Never felt that in a game ever before. It almost feels like it’s analysing how I’m playing and adjusting itself accordingly.......which ties in with the themes of the game and the whole looping concept and the levels rearranging. It’s like........”So you can deal with THAT can you.........then try THIS”! Suddenly rooms I’ve traversed 100s of times with ease, turn into insane battlegrounds that I only just manage to scrape through with the tiniest sliver of health. Or those simple laser traversal bits are suddenly full on Rave light shows. Games usually have a linear progression in terms of that kind of stuff, whereas this somehow feels really free form. It feels truly next gen.

Also, having shit gear, it improves how you play, you have to adjust and play with more skill. And so you learn and improve. Or you can choose to play that way too and increase the difficulty for yourself. Struggling? Eventually some decent gear will come along and you’ll get a decent run going, take on new enemies, experience new sections etc. You’re learning, improving, whilst at the same time the game becomes slightly easier. It feels like there’s no linear difficulty level to it. In some ways it feels like a progression of the Souls games in terms of how it deals with difficulty.I don’t know, I’m probably just rambling away and not getting across what I mean very well! I’ve literally just spent time fannying about in Biome 1, instead of pushing on with stuff just because the combat feels so spectacularly good and is so fun.

I can’t believe Housemarque have managed to extract the magic from classic arcade action games, and update that style of play and make it relevant for a modern audience, by dropping it into a game that seamlessly meshes so many great modern genres and styles together, whilst also pushing things forward. It’s an absolutely incredible achievement!

The RNG is absolutely destroying me in Biome 3. No matter how I prep, every run since I beat this level yesterday (and had that save corrupted) has ended in some horrible areas, either full of rocket drones, or Bioshock Big Daddies, or a combination of both, or worse.

The most recent death, while nearly at the tower, was a long, tight corridor, with a Big Daddy at the far end, a green recharge tower out of sight, a locked-down door behind me, and a gauntlet of swinging laser traps between us, with nowhere to hide from his homing orange energy-jizz. Dead in seconds. I mean, do fuck off HM.

I think that first run through was the golden one, and way more manageable than the dozen aborted efforts since, but yesterday’s panicked patch to quickly unfuck their own debug mode balls-up shafted my rare bit of RNGesus-blessed progress.

At least I got to see the impressive Biome 3 boss, and experience the excellent end of Act 1 story sequence. I fear the rest will be via YouTube.

When it’s great, the game is absolutely fucking brilliant. But my lasting memories of the last 30 hours of precious gaming time with Returnal aren’t going to be especially fond ones. YMWV of course.

26 minutes ago, Hexx said:

Also - are community obelisks no longer working? Can put mats in but they never seem to progress to rewards/unlock to repeat?

Yes, it's probably tied with the patch that broke save data for everyone. I assume they'll be fixing that soon. At least I hope so, I want to get back to avenging corpses.

I might be being a told dingus, but do you peeps know

Spoiler

How to get into the ledge opposite the ship in Act 1 and 4?

I have finished the game and cannot remember if you are there at an earlier point but I don’t think you are? 

There is definitely a door up there yet I can’t see any way of getting up there.

perplexed! 

Cheers!

Finally got the second boss down! I'm perplexed that people found it easier than the first, the last phase was fucking me up big time, it all gets so hectic and I lose my focus.

Third biome has some amazing enemies. I didn't reach the boss but I extended the bridge which presumably gives me a shortcut of some form.

Lost my strong run overnight as the patch installed in rest mode. I had auto update turned off, so no idea why that happened. Anyone know exactly which OS setting I need to change? 

My settings:

IMG_20210507_072557.thumb.jpg.f47544895d772254248fcd5114c4dfcd.jpg

19 hours, 42 deaths and still on biome 1. That third stage got me last night, again no astronaut. The RNG is trolling me hard. All it takes is one one bad room to destroy a run.

7 hours ago, Hexx said:

Boss 4 down but starting to lose interest. Went into Biome 5 and first room (3 new big enemies and 6 turrets) wrecked me. I barely tickled them

The reset in Biome 4 just brings back and amplifies all the earlier problems. Punishingly difficult, not challengingly so. risk/reward near impossible to judge - but also mandatory to hope for power, RNG dependency becoming more and more obvious (5 runs in a row straight into a combat room with 10 enemies with 3 varieties - thanks! ).

When the game works, it's brilliant - my run through B1/2/3 that got me here was great, and I'd managed to craft an interesting build. But that's gone now - and it seems to go out of it's way to stop you getting there.

Back to being basic bitch against stupendously tough enemies - but more often than not it feels like a time sink hoping for a decent combo. You're better off just dying early if things take a bad turn (or you take a couple of hits from the enemies shooting you from off screen). And even then you'll sometimes get smashed by a mini boss you're utterly unequipped to deal with because you got a different weapon combo.

You can dodge the purple convergence by dodging to the left or right once the beams start moving. 

I feel your pain on biome 5, it does feel utterly brutal at first, but I put this down to under-levelled weapons. Get some more upgraded traits on those bad boys and you’ll be going toe to toe in no time. 

Very specific tip for sneaking a suit upgrade that will help you wring more out of biome 4:

Spoiler

Save a key from biome 4 for the locked door in the hub of biome 5. You won’t regret it!

35 minutes ago, macosx said:

19 hours, 42 deaths and still on biome 1. That third stage got me last night, again no astronaut. The RNG is trolling me hard. All it takes is one one bad room to destroy a run.

The biome 1 boss is a big roadblock but honestly, you're better off just going straight there and not worrying about RNG. Your experience against the boss is much more valuable than any combination of items and weapon you can take. Just focus on learning the boss over anything else. If it helps, don't bother with active reloads and just focus on dodging everything, you have as much time as you need. 

8 hours ago, Strafe said:

Data cubes

Adrenaline syphon artefact is an excellent find as you basically get health for kills.

Can you explain data cubes to me? I've only found two so far, losing one. Are you saying I can go back to the ship and dunk them there?

I thought you unlocked new artifacts by buying them at the machine next to the ship. Are datacube items in addition to this?

Can anyone explain these systems?

I'm not sure I've ever really played a game so much while being so bad at it. I'm not a bad gamer - managed to really click with Hades and beat it consistently - but I've played this a lot and still have only got to Phrike five or six times and never quite beaten him. I should hate it. It should fell repetitious and frustrating. But the actual experience of playing it is a joy and I'm still plugging away very happily. The £70 price tag is a huge shame - I really hope that Housemarque is ultimately rewarded for what they've created here - but the thing that baffles me is seeing people arguing in other threads that it's somehow a budget game. It's a really towering achievement in terms of visuals, audio and gameplay.

10 minutes ago, Timmo said:

Can you explain data cubes to me? I've only found two so far, losing one. Are you saying I can go back to the ship and dunk them there?

I thought you unlocked new artifacts by buying them at the machine next to the ship. Are datacube items in addition to this?

Can anyone explain these systems?

You get a data cube the first time you kill Phrike, and when you dunk it into the machine behind him it unlocks another item in the loot pool.

You can also find them in hidden rooms in Biome 1 (at least.) For me, they've been the hidden rooms you need your sword to enter.

Then if you have one, you take it to Phrike and dunk it in the machine.

I don't know if the same thing exists in the later Biomes, but presumably they do.

Finished this last night. One of the best games I’ve played in the last 10 years. Took me many hours and an embarrassing (and undisclosed) amount of deaths but I’m so glad I pushed on through. Some of the best audio and visual design in a game ever, especially some of the later bosses. 

Going straight back in today for the platinum. Some boss kills didn’t trigger a trophy and need many more scout logs!

• Vemsie changed the title to Returnal - Do you see the White Shadow?