Jump to content

Returnal - Do you see the White Shadow?


Vemsie
 Share

Recommended Posts

I've not hit any bugs yet, but I'm in the middle of an epic run (cleared B1 and almost at the top of B2) with super upgrades and a cracking level 9 Carbine.  I got an hour in before work, and an hour at lunchtime, and I'm just terrified that it's going to update or something while it's in rest mode and I'll lose this chance to finally defeat the B2 boss.  Not going to get back on until 10ish tonight, so need to keep the kids away from the PS5 until then.  Bring on the save feature, please!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Gorf King said:

 

Why? There's a widespread issue caused by the latest patch, now four hours old, and it's supposed to be due for a fix by another patch within a few hours. In the meantime, re-downloading will fix those issues.

 

Cyberpunk never worked properly on PS4 from day one, and its fundamental issues haven't been patched after several months.

 

So what is this precedent?

 

I'm surprised (not surprised) that you posted this. And that's definitely not a precedent.

 

There are an awful lot of genuine concerns about this game on the forum, genuine concerns about gaming and gamers and the future of games. It kind of makes my heart sing that so many with no real interest in the game are so concerned for the people who are actually playing it, those poor saps, that they simply must express those concerns at every possible juncture. These guys must just love games so much they can't help but share it all around the place, even with those who really don't deserve such love. You can almost feel it in your heart. Genuinely.


We need a 4th (or 5th) Returnal thread on this, Returnal: should Sony be selling games that need patches?
 

Following on from Returnal: it’s probably too expensive, Returnal: it’s probably too hard and Returnal: played it, it’s decent

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Finally managed an hour on this yesterday (thanks @Vemsie!) first impressions are really solid. Housemarque have really nailed the otherworldly atmosphere, the monolithic alien structures, fauna and chest high smoke really look impressive and intimidating in size, as do the now trademark over the top particle effects. The droning , understated music fits really well. Got the sword which one hit kills the weaker enemies, found a huge chasm which i dived into with low health and was introduced to (and promptly stomped by) Phrike. Looking forward to getting properly stuck in over the weekend but first impressions are good. Going from the cross platform (but still very impressive) Yakuza: Like a Dragon to this is a bit of a wow moment. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

Finally managed an hour on this yesterday (thanks @Vemsie!) first impressions are really solid. Housemarque have really nailed the otherworldly atmosphere, the monolithic alien structures, fauna and chest high smoke really look impressive and intimidating in size, as do the now trademark over the top particle effects. The droning , understated music fits really well. Got the sword which one hit kills the weaker enemies, found a huge chasm which i dived into with low health and was introduced to (and promptly stomped by) Phrike. Looking forward to getting properly stuck in over the weekend but first impressions are good. Going from the cross platform (but still very impressive) Yakuza: Like a Dragon to this is a bit of a wow moment. 


The sound design of this game is just :wub:

Happy to hear the game arrived! :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mikeyl said:


We need a 4th (or 5th) Returnal thread on this, Returnal: should Sony be selling games that need patches?
 

Following on from Returnal: it’s probably too expensive, Returnal: it’s probably too hard and Returnal: played it, it’s decent

 

 

You're forgetting Returnal: talk me out of buying it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

Is there a shortcut from biome 4 to 5 that I am missing?

 

Go through the boss door and up the stairs and it's there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

Is there a shortcut from biome 4 to 5 that I am missing?


The gate is always in the same place but once you’ve unlocked it, it stays unlocked. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So I got the sound glitch today, but without using headphones plugged in, so who knows what’s going on there. Weirdly, it persisted into the PS4 home menu, and only went away when I shut down the app.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, imp said:

So I got the sound glitch today, but without using headphones plugged in, so who knows what’s going on there. Weirdly, it persisted into the PS4 home menu, and only went away when I shut down the app.

Whoa, cross-platform bugs now? Wild.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Vemsie said:


The sound design of this game is just :wub:

Happy to hear the game arrived! :)


The sound is still blowing me away 20hrs into the game! The 3D audio on headphones is absolutely fantastic. Everything sounds so crisp, beefy and chunky, and you can very easily pick out the direction of enemies and projectiles all around you. Hearing a wave of enemy fire drift passed your head never gets old! The music is top notch too. Fantastically atmospheric and always heightens what’s happening on screen. Also tried playing in surround sound yesterday.......almost put the windows through! Hahaha. 
 

Absolutely love how they’ve handled the whole looping mechanic and the little cutscene at the start each time. Proper Chef’s Kiss stuff!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank phuck for that. Finally completed Biome 1 with a level 5 shotgun, decent suit integrity and a spaceman.
Didn't have time to do more than a couple of minutes in Biome 2 but I can sleep soundly tonight.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Played twice today. Now trying to get 100% lore stuff on biome 2, although that's really just an excuse to keep playing. Went through the whole of it both times, and there were still rooms I hadn't seen before. Managed to get the boss down at the end for the ether bonus, then reset the cycle. Only got a few more bits to find now, so one more run might do it. Then on to the next biome.

One of the few games that I enjoy playing purely for the sake of playing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, mikeyl said:


We need a 4th (or 5th) Returnal thread on this, Returnal: should Sony be selling games that need patches?
 

Following on from Returnal: it’s probably too expensive, Returnal: it’s probably too hard and Returnal: played it, it’s decent

 

 

Returnal: The Flaaaaaaaamethrooooooower!!!

 

I'm sorry but its all I could picture when reading that. If you dont get it... the fuck is wrong with you?!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Vemsie said:


The sound design of this game is just :wub:

Happy to hear the game arrived! :)

My favourite sound so far is the Tie fighter sound on one of the gun perks. The one that sends green tracer looping about..

 

Pushed into Biome 2, up to just after the first objective point, after which I got I sta killed by something I never saw jumping out from behind me. That was a nasty surprise as is the distinct lack of health packs, fabricators, etc.

 

Can't wait to get stuck back in obviously... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't know if it was the bed in the ship or daily challenge, but one of them reset my progress after I went back and used them.

 

Not happy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, MardiganX said:

 

Returnal: The Flaaaaaaaamethrooooooower!!!

 

I'm sorry but its all I could picture when reading that. If you dont get it... the fuck is wrong with you?!

I was most surprised at someone in the 'I can't  believe you idiots spent £70 on Returnal' thread stating that it looked cheap and low budget and, also, Housemarque have a history of low priced releases so this should be cheap too. Followed by someone confidently claiming that it would sell ten times the amount at £50. Just like yet another RE sequel will... 

 

I ducked out after someone else hoped that the game would totally die sales wise. That would certainly teach devs and developers a lesson in not making or funding anything new. Result! 

 

None had played it of course. 

 

:facepalm:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Thor said:

I don't know if it was the bed in the ship or daily challenge, but one of them reset my progress after I went back and used them.

 

Not happy.

 

Oof. 

 

That sounds quite infuriating. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Thor said:

I don't know if it was the bed in the ship or daily challenge, but one of them reset my progress after I went back and used them.

 

Not happy.


Daily challenge. It does give you a warning, to be fair. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, catinthehat said:

I've not hit any bugs yet, but I'm in the middle of an epic run (cleared B1 and almost at the top of B2) with super upgrades and a cracking level 9 Carbine.  I got an hour in before work, and an hour at lunchtime, and I'm just terrified that it's going to update or something while it's in rest mode and I'll lose this chance to finally defeat the B2 boss.  Not going to get back on until 10ish tonight, so need to keep the kids away from the PS5 until then.  Bring on the save feature, please!

 

 

Finished this run.  It was EPIC.  I had such an awesome set of augments and parasites by the time I reached boss 2, that I actually killed him without even using my astronaut doll.  And then... AND THEN... I made it all the way to boss 3 in the same run.  Got him down to half way through his last bar, before finally falling to my death.  My heart rate was all over the place for the last hour or so.  So much fun.

 

Now I'm looking forward to some late night exploring back in zone 1 with the

Spoiler

grapple gun.

 

This fucking game.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, catinthehat said:

 

Finished this run.  It was EPIC.  I had such an awesome set of augments and parasites by the time I reached boss 2, that I actually killed him without even using my astronaut doll.  And then... AND THEN... I made it all the way to boss 3 in the same run.  Got him down to half way through his last bar, before finally falling to my death.  My heart rate was all over the place for the last hour or so.  So much fun.

 

Now I'm looking forward to some late night exploring back in zone 1 with the

  Hide contents

grapple gun.

 

This fucking game.

 

A little tip regarding the spoiler - if you're ever in a tight spot...

 

Spoiler

You're invincible during a grapple.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, imp said:


Daily challenge. It does give you a warning, to be fair. 

 

It was a punishment?! 

 

That's actually amazing for its cruelty. 

 

This game! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jonamok said:

Every single time I read Spitmaw Blaster...

 

... I say 'get phucked' out loud. Then leave it. What an awful gun, I'll take the pea shooter over it. 

 

On the subject of swearing, I swear a lot at this game. AT the game, at baddies I've minced when I finally get an op weapon. Yeah. lots of swearing. 

 

2 goes now at the second baddie. I just can't time the 

Spoiler

dash when the blue rings come. I fuck it up every time. :doh: Too much for my old brain to deal with.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Mike S said:

I was most surprised at someone in the 'I can't  believe you idiots spent £70 on Returnal' thread stating that it looked cheap and low budget and, also, Housemarque have a history of low priced releases so this should be cheap too. Followed by someone confidently claiming that it would sell ten times the amount at £50. Just like yet another RE sequel will... 

 

I ducked out after someone else hoped that the game would totally die sales wise. That would certainly teach devs and developers a lesson in not making or funding anything new. Result! 

 

None had played it of course. 

 

:facepalm:

 

Yeah, sometimes you've just got to ignore that nonsense and get on with it.

 

I'm so happy Housemarque got the funding and support to make this game happen. The last time we heard from them they said arcade was dead. Yet here we are.

 

:wub:

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Vemsie changed the title to Returnal - Do you see the White Shadow?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   1 member

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.