Returnal - Do you see the White Shadow?

Vemsie

3 minutes ago, Timmo said:

Apparently they've changed the spaceship heal. You can only use it once and it heals 10%. I don't mind that, it spoils the flow anyway. I do wish the healing was less stingy overall but I guess that's roguelites for you. 

You can only do it on Biome 1, though. Why cripple the help for people who want it?

Yeah I don’t like that change so much. Biome 1 is pretty bloody difficult as it is (or was) - the last thing they needed to do was stack the odds even further against new players.

I wonder why on earth they’re making it harder, that sounds like one thing that isn’t needed. The difficulty is one thing that has made me pause in buying it.

Maybe they meant to change it to “100%” and made a typo.

So, my game got the patch and I'm mid-run but haven't gotten any error messages yet. Should I just close it?

Just now, Ferine said:

Maybe they meant to change it to “100%” and made a typo.

So, my game got the path and I'm mid-run but haven't gotten any error messages yet. Should I just close it?

You may as well, there should be a new patch when you wake up tomorrow.

Sorry to hear about all the issues people have been having, my game has been absolutely rock solid, not a single glitch or crash so far (although I’m still getting pummelled in Biome 2 currently). Pretty sure a heal at the ship was 100% earlier as well, would be pretty thin gruel to only give 10%- I will confirm tomorrow.

8 hours ago, Eighthours said:

You can only do it on Biome 1, though. Why cripple the help for people who want it?

Because it wasn't what they intended. If they intended you to have a free full heal at any point in Level 1, they'd have built it in to the game in a way that made sense. Like giving you the astronaut artifact every run, or having the heal placed near to the boss (rather than having you teleport back). So clearly they want you to finish Level 1 without this free heal. In doing so you become better at level 1 and the boss, both of which put you in a better place to face level 2.

Superb game, very satisfying, zero issues at my end. Sound design and haptics are extremely refreshing.

And of course, plenty of strained stranglewanks from the usual console war cunts. 

Enjoy.

34 minutes ago, Hylian said:

Because it wasn't what they intended. If they intended you to have a free full heal at any point in Level 1, they'd have built it in to the game in a way that made sense. Like giving you the astronaut artifact every run, or having the heal placed near to the boss (rather than having you teleport back). So clearly they want you to finish Level 1 without this free heal. In doing so you become better at level 1 and the boss, both of which put you in a better place to face level 2.

I actually do appreciate the argument you've made here and there's merit to it. On the flip side, it was a relatively small concession which just gave struggling players an extra little something in our toolbox to overcome the first boss. Removing it and replacing it with nothing, just feels a little... unnecessary.

2 minutes ago, Robo_1 said:

I actually do appreciate the argument you've made here and there's merit to it. On the flip side, it was a relatively small concession which just gave struggling players an extra little something in our toolbox to overcome the first boss. Removing it and replacing it with nothing, just feels a little... unnecessary.

Thanks. I can definitely see why it feels a kick in the nuts :lol:

9 minutes ago, Robo_1 said:

Exactly, and you even had to find it out yourself. If I were them, the change I’d make there would be to add a ‘Skip this cutscene’ to the going to sleep sequence to make it less annoying! I thought that being able to get energy back in Biome 1 was a helpful thing to find out, and that the developers had it in there on purpose. (I mean, multiple people on the team obviously did include it on purpose because going to sleep can’t magically increase your health without them programming it to do so. Maybe they thought the ability was being abused.)

I think they’ve absolutely made the wrong decision here, tbh. Getting off Biome 1 is quite the moment no matter how much health you have when you get to the boss. I too appreciate @Hylian’s POV on this, though!

8 hours ago, Gorf King said:

Why?

Two cases of a game being rushed out with significant bugs (a roguelike hard crashing is a significant bug) and/or missing features (you really believe that the save missing is a deliberate decision, when the alternative is “suspend all system updates”) to hit a release date. It’s not even as though it’s another Outriders and they can claim server troubles.

I’m glad you’re enjoying it.

2 minutes ago, footle said:

Two cases of a game being rushed out with significant bugs (a roguelike hard crashing is a significant bug) and/or missing features (you really believe that the save missing is a deliberate decision, when the alternative is “suspend all system updates”) to hit a release date. It’s not even as though it’s another Outriders and they can claim server troubles.

I’m glad you’re enjoying it.

Ahh doubling down. Classy.

Re: the ship health issue: It does seem unnecessarily mean, they could have limited it to a one time use but refill you back to full health which would have been kinder.

20 minutes ago, footle said:

you really believe that the save missing is a deliberate decision

Yes, it's absolutely a design decision. It might be a mad one, but it's the one they made.

If you think they pulled out a whole save system at the eleventh hour to ship the game, then I have some magic beans to sell you. Sony have proven time and time again (and gotten plenty of slack for it) that they have no issues delaying a release if need be. Now if only they'd do the same for these patches they're putting out... :coffee:

The comparison between Cyberpunk at launch and this at launch is really quite laughable, but sure die on that hill.

13 minutes ago, Bojangle said:

Yes, it's absolutely a design decision. It might be a mad one, but it's the one they made.

If you think they pulled out a whole save system at the eleventh hour to ship the game, then I have some magic beans to sell you. Sony have proven time and time again (and gotten plenty of slack for it) that they have no issues delaying a release if need be. Now if only they'd do the same for these patches they're putting out... :coffee:

The comparison between Cyberpunk at launch and this at launch is really quite laughable, but sure die on that hill.

While the Cyberpunk comparison is very silly to me, it’s hard to believe that intelligent human beings wouldn’t have known about automatic system updates wrecking their ‘use rest mode’ plans well before Returnal came out. Or that players would react very negatively to not having a save.

I do think that devs either live in a weird bubble sometimes or play very dumb in their ‘we’re listening to the community’ stuff. There have been plenty of examples of developers ‘listening’ to the most obvious feedback upon a game’s release that they must have known would happen.

I’m one for the theory that they ran out of time to get a save system in there. I’m not saying they ripped it out, just that it was likely planned but never implemented. No idea if they hoped to get away with it or knew they’d have to put it in eventually… I suspect the latter, given that the level of creativity on show in the game and loads of clever UI decisions indicate they’re smart folk!

Big releases are playtested by loads of people during the development cycle. There are mock reviews, there’s QA. There’s zero chance that the lack of saving wasn’t mentioned loads. 

I dunno. I can see it being an oversight from their arcade history. You don't need a mid-game save in Resogun or Nex Machina or Stardust. A game takes 5-20 mins, and the only things that need saving are scores and progress.

I can imagine (although it still seems like a serious oversight) that a dev with that sort of history taking on a bigger broader game during a period where (I assume) getting testing and playtesting and feedback is weird because of Covid might mean you miss that you've not provided that facility.

And then you start getting review/preview feedback and realise you've messed up.

The save/rest mode warning up-front when you start the game makes me think it's deliberate. I'm still suspecting this might have been a concept pushed by Sony: "We've got this far superior form of Rest Mode in PS5, use it like all the other features you've used in Returnal! Use it now!"

Installed the new new patch just now. (1.3.4) and immediately got the same error message. My save file is the same locally and in the cloud, ie 9:01 this morning. 

So, I think I'm going to have to delete the save file and start again. It's a good job I'm rubbish and I still haven't defeated Phrike, otherwise I'd be a lot more upset. 

Just now, superfunk said:

Installed the new new patch just now. (1.3.4) and immediately got the same error message. My save file is the same locally and in the cloud, ie 9:01 this morning. 

So, I think I'm going to have to delete the save file and start again. It's a good job I'm rubbish and I still haven't defeated Phrike, otherwise I'd be a lot more upset. 

Wow thats bad, I'm just going to keep my console offline till this blows over I think

2 minutes ago, jonamok said:

How do you keep the PS5 offline if it’s connected to the WiFi? Is there an option in the OS somewhere?

I was actually going to delete the wifi connection from mine and turn off the router before turning it on! I actually use lan but I set up the wifi when I got it to do the transfer from the ps4... I don't know any other way 

25 minutes ago, superfunk said:

Oh man, that really sucks. This is such a mess. Hope it gets fixed for everybody soon.

I guess I got lucky then, as the new patch cleared up the error for me. Had a cheeky little pre-work run this morning and just before the final boss the last weapon I got given was a pistol with a FULL bonus damage stat. It brought the last boss down about three times quicker than the full auto rocket launcher! I only took one hit, right at the end of the fight, but I had an adrenaline shield...so that doesn't count, right?!

31 minutes ago, superfunk said:

Their Twitter mentions you need to redownload the game:

• Vemsie changed the title to Returnal - Do you see the White Shadow?