Returnal - Do you see the White Shadow?

Vemsie

Now that we've all learned you can open those gates that the chests sit behind does anyone know how you access certain areas in biome 4 that are too high to jump too and don't have a grapple - there is often a gun sitting on them, I'm very confused as to how you get there?

Sorry another question for people who've complete it who may be more observant than me, major story spoilers so don't read this please if you haven't completed the game:

Spoiler

I've just gone in the house I guess post biome 6 (there didn't seem to be a boss for 5 just those 3 branches you had to get the keys from) and I was the little girl again and I went into the TV, then when I came out I saw Helios being shot down by myself and then it said new item unlocked but I didn't see what unlocked, any ideas?

Just finished Biodome 3 and 4 back to back. Man, the boss fight of 4 is fantastic, best one so far imo. By Biodome 4 you (finally) have a good set of weapon skills and upgrades and those combined with skills unlocked via story progression really open up the combat.

edit: Biodome 5 is no joke.

1 hour ago, Nate Dogg III said:

So is it just useless now? I was hoping

Hide contents

you could instead use it to get a random starting item, in a Neow's Gift stylee. Thought it would add to the reply value a bit.

Yep, and that's exactly what I was hoping for as well!

39 minutes ago, Minion said:

Now that we've all learned you can open those gates that the chests sit behind does anyone know how you access certain areas in biome 4 that are too high to jump too and don't have a grapple - there is often a gun sitting on them, I'm very confused as to how you get there?

Now that you're post biome 6 you have everything you need.

11 minutes ago, Minion said:

Sorry another question for people who've complete it who may be more observant than me, major story spoilers so don't read this please if you haven't completed the game:

Hide contents

I've just gone in the house I guess post biome 6 (there didn't seem to be a boss for 5 just those 3 branches you had to get the keys from) and I was the little girl again and I went into the TV, then when I came out I saw Helios being shot down by myself and then it said new item unlocked but I didn't see what unlocked, any ideas?

Yeah, it doesn't show you what you unlock after that, but keep playing and you'll encounter it.

8 minutes ago, imp said:

Now that you're post biome 6 you have everything you need.

Would you mind spelling it out to me please because I can't work it out! lol

8 minutes ago, Minion said:

Would you mind spelling it out to me please because I can't work it out! lol

Spoiler

The light spheres from biome 6 that you shoot to make platforms will appear in all biomes now. :)

Also, is there a way to choose the difficulty of the daily run? Since completing the game, mine has a little 6 next to it. I miss the 1 difficulty version, lol. 

1 hour ago, Nate Dogg III said:

So is it just useless now? I was hoping

Reveal hidden contents

you could instead use it to get a random starting item, in a Neow's Gift stylee. Thought it would add to the reply value a bit.

Speaking of Slay the Spire though, I really wish the artefacts had a bit more impact on gameplay. Like, loads of them are really nice to have and can really help you on a run, especially those that conditionally boost protection / life / damage, but none of them have impacted my play style or decision making in the slightest. I think parasites can make a tangible difference, even if that's only "stay closer to enemies so I get more obolites now that they disappear faster".

8 minutes ago, imp said:

Hide contents

The light spheres from biome 6 that you shoot to make platforms will appear in all biomes now. :)

Also, is there a way to choose the difficulty of the daily run? Since completing the game, mine has a little 6 next to it. I miss the 1 difficulty version, lol. 

I don't remember doing that last night lol! I didn't complete the biome maybe thats why? Oh well thanks dude!

20 minutes ago, Minion said:

I don't remember doing that last night lol! I didn't complete the biome maybe thats why? Oh well thanks dude!

Oh sorry man, my mistake, I thought you had to have finished to see the House sequence you described. 

I got to Biome 2! After 25+ hours of play! 

In my defence that was only my fourth attempt at the boss as I mostly just get distracted in the minute to minute action and the risk v reward of loot hunting. The upside is that all that time in Biome 1 means that I can enter a challenge arena with even the most basic specs and more than likely emerge victorious.

As someone who has hated pretty much every other rogue like game I've played it says something that Housemarque have made a game that I am just happy to play because the basic mechanics are just so perfectly polished. Incredible game (bar all the crashes I have been getting since the patch the other day).. 

All those tentacles!! 

Ive just beaten Biomes 1, 2 and 3 in a mammoth, incredible run :D

Please tell me I can now 

Spoiler

Switch it off for a bit, as I will start at this new place from now on? Im too exhausted to continue!

2 minutes ago, kempstar said:

Ive just beaten Biomes 1, 2 and 3 in a mammoth, incredible run :D

Please tell me I can now 

Hide contents

Switch it off for a bit, as I will start at this new place from now on? Im too exhausted to continue!

Yes you can! I had the exact same question the other day :)

Yeah, I've never had one either. Was starting to wonder if they existed.

That's a fairly standard week 1 patch, I guess. Lack of save state aside (and this issue with the pre-order suits also) it mostly feels like it's launched in a pretty finished state. That probably shouldn't feel like the exception it does.

I think anyone expecting a save system in place less than a week after launch was setting themselves up for disappointment.

It will be very interesting to see if they implement one (they should). 

Mark me down as another that hasn’t seen a single one of the scout corpses, that just seemed to be flat out not working, bit weird! 

10 minutes ago, CrichStand said:

The core gameplay and action in this game is absolutely fucking stunning! It’s like Bayo plus DMC multiplied by Ninja Gaiden with a huge slab of stuff like Resogun whacked on top.

When you enter a room and the turrets come up and start firing as you seamlessly sprint, pirouette, jump and dash towards them, weaving in and out of projectiles as you go, unleashing all your firepower, hitting perfect reloads, taking stuff out with the sword up close as particles explode in a fireworks display of colour and sonic booms of sound. It’s fucking absolutely immense! It makes you feel phenomenal, like you’re flying when you clear an area perfectly. What. A. Game. 

The sound is just something else too. The quality is through the roof and everything sounds fucking HUGE. Hearing all the projectiles flying past your head is so cool! It’s easily the best and most immersive sound I’ve ever heard in a game. Astonishing!

And the way it loops! Holy shit it’s good. Console on, fire it up.......no title screen, just straight into Selene crashing again and the nightmare images. BOOM! Off you go.

Just can’t stop playing it once I start. This is one of the best new games for a long, long, loooooong time.

I doubted Housemarque could do it, but they have. They’ve knocked it clean out of the park and then some. This stands shoulder to shoulder with any classic PlayStation IP. It’s phenomenal.

So much this. Everyone has talked about the gameplay, which is incredible. But the sound design is absolutely peerless for me, and it really raises the bar.

I know exactly where all the enemies are, just by listening to the surround sound. Plenty of times I have attacked an enemy just by their sound. Or dodged their incoming attacks. Just by listening.

The soundtrack, and ambiance, are just perfect, so perfect. I know what it is coming, and I feel the right emotion (discovery, danger, wonder and so on) just through the sound. The game knows exactly when to be loud. Or quiet. Or something in between.

And then there is the use of sound and vibration through the controller. And the bass literally shaking the floor during the boss fights.

Just astonishing.

(The game is pretty astonishing too!).

Yeah, I'm really impressed with this, the more I play. And the difference between those daily challenges (where, at least on the last two, you're an overpowered beast) and then the real game (where you're feeling your way through) is a significant change in approach and aggressive-ness.

Still not made it to the Biome 2 boss (I think I've had three runs in it now) but I'm not fussed yet. I'm getting to know all the creeps in the area along the way pretty well.

Returnal, but it's a dude and you invited him for dinner:

DING DONG

Hey Dave hows it going, oh wow that smells amazing it must have taken you hours. 

SPITS IN FOOD

what th...

I love what your've done with the place, this your Gundam collection?

TIPS OVER DISPLAY CABINET

jesus, can you stop I...

PUNCHES YOU IN THE FACE

SETS FIRE TO THE CARPET

Here I brought you a gift, it's worth £10,000 but you can only have it if you inject yourself with Malaria and I watch.

GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY HOUSE. 

See you tomorrow Dave.

x

Well, I installed the patch, immediately ran into a new bug where gameplay is interrupted every five seconds to announce an error regarding the save file. This does not seems great...

2 minutes ago, imp said:

Well, I installed the patch, immediately ran into a new bug where gameplay is interrupted every five seconds to announce an error regarding the save file. This does not seems great...

Oh fuck that does sound shit wtf

• Vemsie changed the title to Returnal - Do you see the White Shadow?