Returnal - Do you see the White Shadow?

1 hour ago, Minion said:

Well it's easy to say git gud but for me it's getting lucky with an incredibly OP weapon, a level 18 weapon has taken me to the boss of biome 5. I'm going in!

My gut says you’ve got this!

1 hour ago, Minion said:

Well it's easy to say git gud but for me it's getting lucky with an incredibly OP weapon, a level 18 weapon has taken me to the boss of biome 5. I'm going in!

We need a sitrep

Had a great session on this tonight! My last go was a fight with Ixion. So tonight I went through most of Biome 1 and 2 tooling the fuck up. I had to take some risks in 2 because I'd let my health get somewhat low and I'd stupidly taken on a parasite with the side effect of taking damage every time you pick something up. NEVER DOING THAT AGAIN! Anyway, I ventured quite far into 2 in order to get access to the regenerator. Once I located that I was all set, off went to Ixion aaaaaannnnd ...

... he was rather easy. :) 

On this second go at him I think I got lucky with my protection artefacts in the build up through Biomes 1 and 2, because I could take quite the pummelling and didn't need my spaceman. I had a pretty good look in 3, including getting stuck in a room with a mini-boss who I managed to beat (thanks, Spaceman!), but in the end I got done in a room with those bastard turrets and the weird crawling robot monsters. Can't say I'm keen on the aesthetic of Biome 3 mind you, it is literally dull as ditchwater. My rocket launcher was pretty tasty though, fair play. Also, while my favourite weapon is still the Tachyomatic Carbine with Critical Hit and, most importantly, Rising Pitch (not High Caliber), I have grown to rather like the Hollow Seeker. I'm looking forward to more new weapons and more exploring, especially of Biomes 1 and 2 now that I have the grapple. :) 

This game is fucking immense! Sooooo addictive! Just wondering though........played through Biome 1 and beat the boss, then went through Biome 2 and got to the boss but died on his third form. Do I now have to play through Biome 1 till I get to the warp gate, then play through the whole of Biome 2 and do the boss all in one go to unlock the Biome 3 gate, or have I missed a shortcut/unlock, to get back to the Biome boss 2 quicker?

19 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

You have to do Biome 1 until you find the gate, yes. But it'll tend to put it quite close to the start.

Is there some kind of shortcut to the boss on Biome 2 though? That’s what I was attempting to ask. Seems insanely hardcore if I have to get to the Biome 1 warp gate, then do the entirety of Biome 2 and the boss all in a single run, without cutting anything out! Feels like I’ve missed something, like there should be a shortcut at some point on Biome 2.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

I had a pretty good look in 3, including getting stuck in a room with a mini-boss who I managed to beat (thanks, Spaceman!), but in the end I got done in a room with those bastard turrets and the weird crawling robot monsters. Can't say I'm keen on the aesthetic of Biome 3 mind you, it is literally dull as ditchwater. 

I'm surprised to hear you say that - I thought it the most Mass Effect-like biome to date. And the sound design was great in there. Feels like the end of the world.

30 minutes ago, Lyrical Donut said:

Yes.

Reveal hidden contents

At the foot of the mountain.

Fuck’s sake! Knew something felt off! I had a beast of a build and was a slither away from beating Ixion too. Now having to do it all again and it’s suddenly nails hard in comparison. Struggling to even get past the first sections of Biome 2. 

This game really is fantastic. At times, with the way you loop back and the world changes, and it suddenly throws some crazy shit at you......it almost feels like the game is playing you, just as much as you are playing the game! Feels really next gen when it all comes together like that. 

48 minutes ago, CrichStand said:

This game really is fantastic. At times, with the way you loop back and the world changes, and it suddenly throws some crazy shit at you......it almost feels like the game is playing you, just as much as you are playing the game! Feels really next gen when it all comes together like that. 

Yeah, it really feels like an arcade game. In 2021. Initially difficult until you start figuring it out.

This game :wub:

8 hours ago, p1nseeker said:

We need a sitrep

I had to stop to sleep, I'm in the final biome, I've hit max proficiency, I'm still using the level 18 hollowseeker as it's insane. I'm not sure if I'll have the flow I had last night to see the credits later but I will try!

7 hours ago, Gorf King said:

I'm surprised to hear you say that - I thought it the most Mass Effect-like biome to date. And the sound design was great in there. Feels like the end of the world.

It's evocative of Ilos, yes, but I was never keen on that area either truth be told.

12 hours ago, jonamok said:

If you have access to a keyboard consider unlocking the ‘digital deluxe early access weapon’ Electropylon Driver. It makes biome 1 boss much easier. Details upthread.

So I unlocked the electropylon driver (cheers @jonamok!) and absolutely steamrollered through the first Biome.  That thing is ridiculously overpowered!  Beat the boss as well (I’d found the house key and figurine for the first time as well and needed that second chance during the boss fight).  Feeling a tingling of guilt that I needed a cheat to do it, but eh. At least I can start getting slaughtered in a pretty new environment now :unsure:

36 minutes ago, Minion said:

I had to stop to sleep, I'm in the final biome, I've hit max proficiency, I'm still using the level 18 hollowseeker as it's insane. I'm not sure if I'll have the flow I had last night to see the credits later but I will try!

You can do this, Sim!

18 minutes ago, p1nseeker said:

Might patch out debug mode for those using it though.

I’m pretty sure that will be its primary purpose. Will be an interesting test case of whether Sony just steamrollers through the settings for no auto downloads or installation of game updates. I suspect they will, and do it on mandatory ‘security fix’ grounds. We’ll see.

27 minutes ago, sammy said:

So I unlocked the electropylon driver (cheers @jonamok!) and absolutely steamrollered through the first Biome.  That thing is ridiculously overpowered!  Beat the boss as well (I’d found the house key and figurine for the first time as well and needed that second chance during the boss fight).  Feeling a tingling of guilt that I needed a cheat to do it, but eh. At least I can start getting slaughtered in a pretty new environment now :unsure:

I wouldn’t be guilty about it. Consider it like getting the digital deluxe DLC for free. Plenty have done exactly the same, but paid an extra tenner for the privilege.

Fourth run at Phrike; double health bar, rising something level 4 carbine, with an astronaut....and I still blew it on the third phase . Lol. 

The most satisfying, fist pumping part of the game was trying to scour for 250 obolites, I had 200, on a cleared run only to finally find a secret room with them scattered on the floor.

When assessing new guns, should I mostly be looking at the the star rating? I.e. if I have a level 4 gun and have the option of a level 5, I should take it right?

Not necessarily. It'll have one more pip in one of the bars for sure, but it may be a weapon type you like less, or have traits you don't want as much. Guns drop relative to your current proficiency  level, so you should always get an increasing big number as you progress. It's probably not always the right answer to take the gun with the biggest number.

Been steering clear of this thread for a while for fear of spoilers, but now I'm fully back on board.  Took me about 8 hours to beat boss 1, and now I'm struggling through the second zone.  Having such a blast though, and none of the deaths seem unfair or unbalanced.  I'm just a bit rubbish.

Can't stop thinking about it.  Don't get to play nearly enough.

17 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

Not necessarily. It'll have one more pip in one of the bars for sure, but it may be a weapon type you like less, or have traits you don't want as much. Guns drop relative to your current proficiency  level, so you should always get an increasing big number as you progress. It's probably not always the right answer to take the gun with the biggest number.

Nice. Thanks.

If i've beaten the first boss, is it worth taking him down again for the loot? What does he drop? Weapon or random?

It's in my head as well. I'm either thinking about my approaches or the lore.

It's crazy how much easier the first two biomes become when you get more familiar with it. When you know how to get max health and boost your oobolites (shoot the statues with yellow eyes as well) to grab some good items, don't rush to open a chest near the start but open it when your proficiency is high, grab a few parasites with betters pros than cons and have some nice suit artefacts. I maintain that the second biome is easier than the first as well, especially when the boss is finished. Only advantage the first biome has is that you can constantly heal in the ship, meaning you don't have to use healing items when you fuck up.

The third biome can wreck you though. Those Automatons are no joke.

4 minutes ago, skittles said:

If i've beaten the first boss, is it worth taking him down again for the loot? What does he drop? Weapon or random?

Only if you have a cube to put in the machine, I'd say. I mostly skip the boss fights on new runs.

• Vemsie changed the title to Returnal - Do you see the White Shadow?