Returnal - Do you see the White Shadow?

Vemsie

Wow, the fourth area really ups the pace huh? Even though I’m dying a fair bit I don’t mind at all since the action and your weapons ramp up so fast compared to earlier. :wub:

Did another full run of Biome 1 and 2 for my second attempt at 3.

Then wrecked the place and the boss on my first go :D

Spoiler

So Biomes 1-3 are gone now? And I always start at Prof 15 in the harder Biome 4? I miss my great build that the game took them. Probably easier that a full 1-6 run time commitment.

Oh and the house has a creepy kid now. Wonderful

18 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

Anyone got any tips for the flying robots in area 3? They've got homing missiles that totally wipe me out regardless of dodges etc. 

Hollowseeker with retarget trait will destroy them before they even get a chance to fire.

I wish resting at the ship healed you back to health in one go - seems an unnecessary step to have to sleep more than once.

27 deaths, still in Biome 1,  I am shit at this game! Determined not to give up though, the moment to moment gameplay is still great fun, but I would love a change of scenery.

27 minutes ago, sammy said:

I wish resting at the ship healed you back to health in one go - seems an unnecessary step to have to sleep more than once.

27 deaths, still in Biome 1,  I am shit at this game! Determined not to give up though, the moment to moment gameplay is still great fun, but I would love a change of scenery.

If you have access to a keyboard consider unlocking the ‘digital deluxe early access weapon’ Electropylon Driver. It makes biome 1 boss much easier. Details upthread.

Boss 2 down first try, and then it crashed as I got into Biome 3. Had a great build too

How do I quickly get back to Biome 3, do I have to ascend the mountain again in 2?

1 minute ago, MikeF said:

Boss 2 down first try, and then it crashed as I got into Biome 3. Had a great build too

How do I quickly get back to Biome 3, do I have to ascend the mountain again in 2?

You can actually get back there from 1 now that you have unlocked the grapple, but personally I went back through 2 to power myself up (avoided the boss) and then I got through 3 first time though it was tough.

1 minute ago, Minion said:

You can actually get back there from 1 now that you have unlocked the grapple, but personally I went back through 2 to power myself up (avoided the boss) and then I got through 3 first time though it was tough.

Ahh, I will have to have a look out for that then, I assume theres a new waypoint for the warp to biome 3 in biome 1 then.

I will returnal tomorrow

1 minute ago, MikeF said:

Ahh, I will have to have a look out for that then, I assume theres a new waypoint for the warp to biome 3 in biome 1 then.

I will returnal tomorrow

Yeah you probably encountered it before it's a room with like a big broken bridge that you cannot get past until you've gotten the grapple, it should have a gate symbol above it on the map like the way towards 2.

3 hours ago, Minion said:

No need to apologise dude, thanks! Now can you help me git gud so I can get through Biome 5 :D

I fear being unable to best Ixiom after about 14 hours doesn't bode well for me being of much use.

18 minutes ago, charley farley said:

I fear being unable to best Ixiom after about 14 hours doesn't bode well for me being of much use.

Ixiom is really tough to be fair, I only beat him once and I had a beefed up hollowseekeer with the homing bullets (retarget?) otherwise I would possibly still be stuck! But yeah Biome 4+ is a further step up for sure.

Oh no, I have discovered a terrible thing in biome 6.

Spoiler

You can grind weapon traits when you find those enemies that do nothing but spawn infinite octopuses, so now I'll compulsively level anything that's close to hand when I encounter them! (Even better when they're shielded, btw, as then you won't accidentally hurt them).

3 hours ago, Minion said:

Well done I loved boss 4 I was totally in the zone, be interested to see how you get on with biome 5. I clearly suck as I only managed to get there once in the past few hours, that's me done for today. 

I had a couple of runs without much success. Seemed to have terrible weapon drops. Those teleporting guys that are like mini Phrikes can do one. 

3 minutes ago, p1nseeker said:

I had a couple of runs without much success. Seemed to have terrible weapon drops. Those teleporting guys that are like mini Phrikes can do one. 

I've just made more progress than ever before I have a level 18 hollowseeker that shoots out a portal every now again which just destroys everything, I've skipped all the higher level guns I've come across as this feels well OP, it's got me to the first key in Biome 5.

As brilliant as this game is, it is truly exhausting to play!

I have just had a nearly three hour session clearing out Biome 1 and 2, culminating with beating the boss. But instead of wanting to see whats in Biome 3, I need a lie down as my brain is so frazzled from the pyrotechnics and concentration required!

Trying to avoid spoilers so may have missed this, but is there any shortcut to the boss in biome 3? I still seem to have to ascend which is quite far.

Yeah I'm doing so well I may have to do the rest thing - I've never done it before is it simply not closing the game but bringing up the dash and choosing to put the console into rest - sorry I know it's a dumb question but I've never had the need to do that before.

This fxxcking game is really getting me hacked off now.  Just spent nearly 2 hours painstakingly doing all the grinding people have said.  Went in with a level 6 weapon, massively increased health and spaceman and STILL couldn’t beat the first boss!!  

ffs 

3 minutes ago, Minion said:

Yeah I'm doing so well I may have to do the rest thing - I've never done it before is it simply not closing the game but bringing up the dash and choosing to put the console into rest - sorry I know it's a dumb question but I've never had the need to do that before.

Click PS button on controller, select Power (on the right), choose Rest mode

At the risk of being a braggart, I didn't find any of the bosses to be much of a sticking point. All of them fell on my first attempt expect for the second one, which I think took two; that one isn't notably harder, I just wasn't in great shape when attempting it.

That isn't to say I haven't found the game challenging – I'm not done but have hit credits, at 20 hours and a neat 20 deaths – but any given non-boss room could be way more difficult. All the variables in play when entering one can lead to some nightmare scenarios, usually involving a flock of flying bastards or shielded turret, whereas the boss encounters are a lot more predictable: all their attacks are telegraphed and avoidable, their phases are clearly delineated, and as much as they fill the screen with bullets their displays are often more intimidating than deadly.

I think recognising that intimidation is key. I'm not someone prone to panic in stressful situations – even though, or perhaps because, I worry about everything ahead of time – which I think goes some way to explain why I've had a far easier time of the bosses than some others. I'm decent at shooters, sure, but it's not like my reflexes are amazing and I don't think they necessarily need to be for this game: all the enemies tell you what they're going to do, so it's more about anticipation than reaction. Hence the groups of regular enemies giving me way more trouble.

I don't really know what substantive advice to give, but I'm sure you too can be a Poundshop Neo.

Well it's easy to say git gud but for me it's getting lucky with an incredibly OP weapon, a level 18 weapon has taken me to the boss of biome 5. I'm going in!

19 minutes ago, IainGamer said:

This fxxcking game is really getting me hacked off now.  Just spent nearly 2 hours painstakingly doing all the grinding people have said.  Went in with a level 6 weapon, massively increased health and spaceman and STILL couldn’t beat the first boss!!  

ffs 

I am truly terrible at games and have managed to do both biome 1 and 2 bosses first time. Best tips I have is;

- The pylon gun is OP. Just shoot

as much as you can in the general direction of the boss to do a ongoing stream of damage. You can then focus on avoiding the attacks. (Is this available to everyone or an early unlock for the delux edition?)

Edit: it looks like the electropylon gun is an early unlock for the digital delux edition, otherwise you get it in biome 4. Might explain the different experiences people are having.

- Turn always sprinting on in the options, it makes avoiding attacks much easier.

- tool us as much as possible, I went into boss 2 with 200% health and tonne of artifacts 

14 minutes ago, Ferine said:

At the risk of being a braggart, I didn't find any of the bosses to be much of a sticking point. All of them fell on my first attempt expect for the second one, which I think took two; that one isn't notably harder, I just wasn't in great shape when attempting it.

That isn't to say I haven't found the game challenging – I'm not done but have hit credits, at 20 hours and a neat 20 deaths – but any given non-boss room could be way more difficult. All the variables in play when entering one can lead to some nightmare scenarios, usually involving a flock of flying bastards or shielded turret, whereas the boss encounters are a lot more predictable: all their attacks are telegraphed and avoidable, their phases are clearly delineated, and as much as they fill the screen with bullets their displays are often more intimidating than deadly.

I think recognising that intimidation is key. I'm not someone prone to panic in stressful situations – even though, or perhaps because, I worry about everything ahead of time – which I think goes some way to explain why I've had a far easier time of the bosses than some others. I'm decent at shooters, sure, but it's not like my reflexes are amazing and I don't think they necessarily need to be for this game: all the enemies tell you what they're going to do, so it's more about anticipation than reaction. Hence the groups of regular enemies giving me way more trouble.

I don't really know what substantive advice to give, but I'm sure you too can be a Poundshop Neo.

Oh well that’s helpful.  

9 minutes ago, tobert said:

I am truly terrible at games and have managed to do both biome 1 and 2 bosses first time. Best tips I have is;

- The pylon gun is OP. Just shoot

as much as you can in the general direction of the boss to do a ongoing stream of damage. You can then focus on avoiding the attacks. (Is this available to everyone or an early unlock for the delux edition?)

Edit: it looks like the electropylon gun is an early unlock for the digital delux edition, otherwise you get it in biome 4. Might explain the different experiences people are having.

- Turn always sprinting on in the options, it makes avoiding attacks much easier.

- tool us as much as possible, I went into boss 2 with 200% health and tonne of artifacts 

Thanks!  Yeah the pylon gun only for deluxe edition.  Bit shit really.

2 minutes ago, IainGamer said:

Thanks!  Yeah the pylon gun only for deluxe edition.  Bit shit really.

Did you read my posts above on how you too can have this gun in your biome 1 arsenal @IainGamer? Just checking.