Returnal - Do you see the White Shadow?

On the first 'run' did everyone else walk slowly through the level gawping at everything, or was it just me? All the gameplay videos have everyone sprinting and boosting all over the place as soon as they get out of the ship. 

I must have spent five minutes just walking back and forth through the 'blue tendril' corridor just to watch the way they move and hear the 3D audio...

It's going to take me ages to finish this...

(the music is spectacular btw)

42 minutes ago, Nate Dogg III said:

I think the age rating is more about difficulty than subject matter, it can be a bit gross and gloopy with the cosmic-horror stuff but I played a fair chunk of it with my 7yo sat next to me and her barely batted an eyelid. Increasingly sure he's a psychopath though, so YMMV.

PEGI age ratings have nothing to do with difficulty, it's not taken into account at all.

I'm afraid so.  But yeah that one's a popular misconception so much so it's in bold on the PEGI site.

I'm sure everyone who worked in games retail has had "GTA 4 is an 18 ma'am" "It's ok he's good at games".

The movement and combat in this just feels so, so good. Still haven’t gotten the first boss down but I’m having a great time just trying out different weapons and traits and gawking at the visuals. The audio is something else too.

Just had a ridiculously fun run with the Hollowseeker and the Retarget trait along with an artifact that gave me an energy burst when dashing. :wub:

It absolutely will not be for everyone but if you are into these sort of games it feels pretty damn essential. 

1 hour ago, Eighthours said:

After reading the previews I knew I would succumb, and I have indeed bought Returnal for the grand total of £60.98 (the cost of 2 £35 PSN cards at CDkeys).

As the game is rated 16+, I wanted to ask about whether my 8 year old son would be OK watching me play the game or whether it's too violent/scary even for that. What do you think? I'm not going to let him play it, obvs.

I dunno, especially since I'm not a parent so don't know how these new-fangled kids work. But, although I'm very early on in the game, I think some of the audio logs the protagonist finds on her corpses might - should - be a bit disturbing. (Spoiler for a couple of early audio logs)

Spoiler

In one, her now-dead self talks about finding "four-metre tall corpses littering the ground", possibly a result of "genocide or mass ritualistic suicide", and in a horrified tone, haltingly says that some of the bodies she finds of herself have been wounded in a similar manner. In the same tone of stumbling horror another log records "one of my corpses was still... functioning. It attacked me and I - killed myself." It might not sound that much on the page but set within the doom-laden atmosphere of the first biome I think it could be the stuff of nightmares. It literally is for the protagonist anyway.

1 hour ago, BadgerFarmer said:

Are you going straight for the boss as quickly as possible now? Just asking because I was trying that at first and I think it's a kind of false economy. One good run where you take your time and get a couple of refill or revival items is more likely to end in success than half-a-dozen where you go in without any.

Good points. Took both approaches. First try was after 3 hours of complete exploration. Was completely tooled up, with a 5-star carbine and an extra life etc. Still got tupped. Then took a few tries with whatever I could get on the way to the boss door, which was sometimes in the next room! Just to try to learn Phrike. Didn’t actually do that much worse. Now I’m just going back to exploring again before I have another try. The game knows I’m dick at this, as it’s started spawning chests right outside my ship. :lol:

What's the difference between biome and level?  I'm always curious about how and why new terminology emerges, and not once has someone referred to the different areas in this game as levels.

4 minutes ago, Popo said:

What's the difference between biome and level?  I'm always curious about how and why new terminology emerges, and not once has someone referred to the different areas in this game as levels.

I've taken it to mean different 'environments'. So you could imagine a game where there are multiple levels within the same biome, but then for example when it switches from desert to snow, that's a second biome. Many games where the word is used only seem to have one level per biome, though, so I can see the confusion, and in that sense it's an annoying new buzzword.

59 minutes ago, jonamok said:

Good points. Took both approaches. First try was after 3 hours of complete exploration. Was completely tooled up, with a 5-star carbine and an extra life etc. Still got tupped. Then took a few tries with whatever I could get on the way to the boss door, which was sometimes in the next room! Just to try to learn Phrike. Didn’t actually do that much worse. Now I’m just going back to exploring again before I have another try. The game knows I’m dick at this, as it’s started spawning chests right outside my ship. :lol:

Same here, in the sense that I'm treating it as a slow explore-em-up, playing it like a nightmarish version of No Man's Sky with added malevolence, collecting stories and data as I go. I did make it to the boss once, pretty well tooled up and with an extra life, and got done in when he was at 1/4 health. The next couple of runs seemed to get harder each time, with some rooms (I still insist on finding all of them) having what seem like four or so minibosses all piling on me simultaneously. I was fairly certain I'd never make it to the end of this game - roguelikes are not really my genre usually, and I'm getting too old and slow for fast-reflex shooters - but now I'm thinking I might not even get to the second biome. Yet I'm very much enjoying just the basic exploration and discovery, and the atmosphere of it all.

Besides, in terms of drops, they've become quite generous, and I've begun to suspect the game might actually be evolving. It seems to be adapting to my playstyle and progress each time it resets, and giving me a helping hand. Last time I left the Helios there was a Zimmer frame parked outside the ship.

6 minutes ago, Popo said:

Wicked. I'm going to start referring to Green Hills Zone as the 'Grassland biome' from now on.

You could argue they're not really levels in the traditional sense because they change in all sorts of ways from one playthrough to the next. Subsequent playthroughs of the same biome have different... the game calls them 'areas'. I doubt I've fully explored the first biome but the ship's log says I've explored 61 areas. I mean, it's just semantics really, everyone knows we're talking about essentially the same thing. But I can see why for a game like this people might want to call the semi-random conglomeration of level tiles within a similar environment a biome. My first level could be the first time I played that biome, because the second and third were quite differently constructed. But meh, call them whatever as long as it's understood.

Completed Biodome 1 on my first try. Every consecutive run was a complete disaster :lol: Thinking of doing Biodome 1 over and over to familiarise myself with weapons, consumables and whatever else. Really liking this so far.

I wish the adrenaline level up wouldn't flash bright red. Every time it procs i panic thinking i've taken damage. :facepalm:

Also, don't be scared of those sucky vines. Use them to reach high up places.  ;)

I appreciate the dev trying to do something different with the alt-fire requiring a full trigger pull but when it gets a bit frantic I keep fucking it up. Undoing 30 odd years of fully pulling the left trigger for ads is hard to undo. 

I see there’s an option to use L1 for alt-fire, might have to switch over.

3 minutes ago, Curtis said:

I wish the adrenaline level up wouldn't flash bright red. Every time it procs i panic thinking i've taken damage. :facepalm:

Also, don't be scared of those sucky vines. Use them to reach high up places.  ;)

Different game but I'm about 15 hours into Dishonoured and there's a sound before the town's speaker system makes an announcement, happens maybe every 2 minutes.

Every SINGLE time I think someone's detected me.

28 minutes ago, Gorf King said:

The next couple of runs seemed to get harder each time, with some rooms (I still insist on finding all of them) having what seem like four or so minibosses all piling on me simultaneously.

Possibly one of the star chambers? The rooms which have a star icon over the door on the map.

9 minutes ago, Nosejam said:

I see there’s an option to use L1 for alt-fire, might have to switch over.

I'm using this and its fine, I feel the half press thing is more of a gimmick.

27 minutes ago, Gorf King said:

You could argue they're not really levels in the traditional sense because they change in all sorts of ways from one playthrough to the next. Subsequent playthroughs of the same biome have different... the game calls them 'areas'. I doubt I've fully explored the first biome but the ship's log says I've explored 61 areas. I mean, it's just semantics really, everyone knows we're talking about essentially the same thing. But I can see why for a game like this people might want to call the semi-random conglomeration of level tiles within a similar environment a biome. My first level could be the first time I played that biome, because the second and third were quite differently constructed. But meh, call them whatever as long as it's understood.

Yea, I'm only teasing, it does make sense in the context of procedurally generated levels, as you point out. 

15 minutes ago, BadgerFarmer said:

Possibly one of the star chambers? The rooms which have a star icon over the door on the map.

I'd love for it to be that, but unfortunately it's not. Part of it is just not getting the right weapons to drop, part of it is that after having the boss encounter it now seems to drop some harder/bigger enemies en masse into what were previously relatively trouble-free areas. 

I'm getting a weird Souls vibe with this. It's very risk / reward heavy, especially with those spiked upgrade boxes. I haven't had long enough for it to properly click yet, but I'm surprised how calm it is at this point. I've had extended moments of just traversing the environment looking for items, whereas I thought this was going to be quite intense from the off, I didn't expect this much "adventuring". I did put some headphones on to enjoy the 3D audio and combined with the haptics, it really does add an extra texture to the experience, which genuinely separates the generations.

Took me a while to realise this but ether is the only currency that is permanent so don't waste it on crap just because you feel like you may as well get rid of it. There are things you may want to save it for that are much more useful than just ensuring you don't get a negative effect from a pick-up (which usually aren't even all that bad).

• Vemsie changed the title to Returnal - Do you see the White Shadow?