Returnal - Do you see the White Shadow?

I'm so pleased about the early signs on this and hope the game really delivers. I totally understand people's views on the price, but also find the whole 'but it's not AAA' argument a bit baffling. I'd much rather pay for this than something like Days Gone at launch price, just for the signal it sends that something a bit different can really work.

1 hour ago, moosegrinder said:

You've never played a game where you can't stop playing but you're not sure if it's a really any good?

This is exactly it, this type of game hinges on how rewarding it continues to be after it runs out of surprises.

1 hour ago, scoobysi said:

@BadgerFarmer how dark is it? Is it much easier to see where you’re going than how it comes across in some of the videos? I expect the explosions cause a lot of light too.

The first area is quire dark and misty, but then anything you can interact with or can hurt you is basically glowing, so it's not a problem. The second area is different, not dark at all.

2 minutes ago, BadgerFarmer said:

The first area is quire dark and misty, but then anything you can interact with or can hurt you is basically glowing, so it's not a problem. The second area is different, not dark at all.

Can you summarise what is retained on death? Please tell me you don't go back to your crappy pistol every time you restart...

9 minutes ago, Timmo said:

Can you summarise what is retained on death? Please tell me you don't go back to your crappy pistol every time you restart...

Spoilered in case anyone would rather not know:

Spoiler

Mainly it's the Metroid type stuff - permanent suit upgrades that unlock shortcuts and ways of accessing places that are initially out of reach. You do always start with the same weapon, but you'll generally find another pretty quick. And there are permanent unlockable bonuses for each weapon type - although I'm not exactly sure how that works yet. 

I'm telling you this is going to be huge. A big budget game that puts the core mechanics of the game in the spotlight, and have them be the draw (rather than the justification), is waiting to go massive. A mainstream Dark Souls as it were.

If not this, then something, soon,

10 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:

I'm telling you this is going to be huge.

It would be at a 'normal' price. Things are definitely looking much better for it than before, though, after the glowing previews today. I can see myself disregarding my principles and just buying the bloody thing, sigh.

I honestly think the price is going to be less of a thing than people think. Demon Souls didn't suffer. People are starved for 'genuine next gen' content.

They'll prob get the physical down to £50, and keep the digital at £70 and do fine.

4 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

It would be at a 'normal' price. Things are definitely looking much better for it than before, though, after the glowing previews today. I can see myself disregarding my principles and just buying the bloody thing, sigh.

Already justifying it in my head as my first proper PS5 game. At least there are ways to get that eye-watering price down. 

47 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

As principles go, refusing to spend on what looks to be guaranteed quality isn't the most noble.

I mean, buy something bang average at half the price if it'll make you feel better. :shrug:

If anything Housemarque deserves the price tag based on their output over the years. I really do hope they aren't caught in the crossfire here. The positivity today is very encouraging!

45 minutes ago, GamesGamesGames said:

As principles go, refusing to spend on what looks to be guaranteed quality isn't the most noble.

I mean, buy something bang average at half the price if it'll make you feel better. :shrug:

The principle is that if I buy this at £70, it gives Sony the green light to think that customers accept this is a jolly fine RRP for all its other games too, which it certainly bloody isn't. If Returnal fails at this price, then Sony is likely to think again. But I want the game. So it's a dilemma.

Ive pissed way over £70 against a wall on a night out.  £70 for a good quality game isnt too bad in my opinion. I spent over £100 on Tarkov and have 1000 hours in it.  If I spend 70 hours on Returnal then thats fantastic value for money. Dont see the problem myself. 

Just now, Herbalizer said:

Ive pissed way over £70 against a wall on a night out.  £70 for a good quality game isnt too bad in my opinion. I spent over £100 on Tarkov and have 1000 hours in it.  If I spend 70 hours on Returnal then thats fantastic value for money. Dont see the problem myself. 

Well, it's not just people who are lucky enough to be able to afford it who will want to play the game. £70 as an RRP prices out a whole bunch of people, or at least gives them pause.

9 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

Well, it's not just people who are lucky enough to be able to afford it who will want to play the game. £70 as an RRP prices out a whole bunch of people, or at least gives them pause.

https://www.shopto.net/en/ps5re01-returnal-playstation-5-p195336/

:)

By the way, it's c
urrently #1 bestseller for Playstation 5 on Amazon and when you add to cart for preorder the earliest shipping date is May 18th - June 21st. Previews are doing their job. It's also trending on Twitter.

Fucking delighted for Housemarque. 

• Vemsie changed the title to Returnal - Do you see the White Shadow?