IGNORED

Returnal - Do you see the White Shadow?

Vemsie

19 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Okay good to know cheers both.

What a turnaround this game is for me. I’ve gone from seeing how much I can get for it trade-in to thinking about it during work everyday and looking forward to getting into it every night with the headphones on. 

My journey exactly. I’d wager you’ll momentarily contemplate trading it in again before you beat it, but beat it you will.

Beat biome 6 the other week - first boss attempt I died with the boss on its last sliver of health, but got my revenge the next time I got back there.

It’s funny how the game goes from feeling brutal (biome 1 and biome 3 for me) to being able to go around mopping everything up in those areas. It may have something to do with unlocking other weapons though…

Still loving this and continuing to explore.

Set Always Sprint to on. Never stop moving. Run and jump around everywhere like a hyperactive 3-year old. Don’t play it like a cover shooter.  And most importantly, when you die, get back up and start running again. 

Sound design in this is fantastic. I was playing earlier on and really appreciating how you can tell what types of items are around you and where just by the sound; not to mention the rest of the ambient sound.

Currently trying to find the cyphers I don’t quite have yet and experimenting with guns I didn’t use in my main play throughs.

Such a great game.

Have been on a great run through biomes 1-3, collected some great artefacts and high integrity. Just went through a warp gate and, having picked up all the items, turned to go back and the gate won’t reopen so I can’t get back! 😡

This happened to anyone else? 

9 hours ago, bagapeas said:

Have been on a great run through biomes 1-3, collected some great artefacts and high integrity. Just went through a warp gate and, having picked up all the items, turned to go back and the gate won’t reopen so I can’t get back! 😡

This happened to anyone else? 

Yes I lost a run the other day of this, it's a known bug in biome 3, those physical warp gates sometime's refuse to open again, it's annoying but luckily the game is so bloody good that I just put it down and started a new run a little later.

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Mystacon said:

I played this a little bit when it first came out but fell off pretty quickly before I got a real feel for it.

Is it basically a first person Hades meets bullet hell shooter?

Third person but yeah not far off. It can get a bit bullet hell-ey but it’s more like Enter the Gungeon or Binding of Isaac than Ikaruga or one of the old coin ops.

31 minutes ago, Mystacon said:

I played this a little bit when it first came out but fell off pretty quickly before I got a real feel for it.

Is it basically a first person Hades meets bullet hell shooter?

It's not especially Hades-like because the runs take so long, and there's not so much of a focus on story and engaging with NPCs. It's quite unique in a lot of ways, really. It feels like Nex Machina in the hands - your avatar is very nimble and quick, and the shooting is pretty fast, too - but obviously it's from a behind-the-shoulder third-person perspective. The atmosphere is also different from Housemarque's other stuff: you really do feel like you've been plunged into a hostile, alien world with no means of escape. It's reminiscent of Metroid Prime in that respect. The movement and shooting also reminded me of the old Lost Planet games that came out a few gens ago now, if you ever played those.

It's great!

It's an odd game for sure. Love the atmosphere and how fast it plays. At first I went in thinking it was a game based on Alien with a linear story to play through! :) Thought it odd of Housemarque should have known better! Like mentioned it's like a 3D Nex Machina with less aliens thankfully and dieing Nia actually part of the game. I have a feeling you get snippets of Selines life just to add a bit of backstory to the game.

6 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Aaaand done. 

What a brilliant game. This or Metroid GOTY for me. 

Those are my two games of the year as well. God, I love games that place you all alone on an alien planet with an oppressive atmosphere.

6 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Aaaand done. 

What a brilliant game. This or Metroid GOTY for me. 

Well done! :) Still yet to work on this... love playing it but well I'm crap... :D Is it purely just a reflex game or do you get big guns later that help matters along....

53 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Well done! :) Still yet to work on this... love playing it but well I'm crap... :D Is it purely just a reflex game or do you get big guns later that help matters along....

I was shit for ages, honestly didn’t think I would see the last boss. But it gets easier as yes, your guns hit harder over time and you unlock pickups that really help, but mainly you start to learn enemy behaviour and resource management and that’s when the breakthrough came for me, rather than feeling like my actual reactions were getting better.

Stick with it. Headphones on. Sack off everything else for a bit.

1 hour ago, Vemsie said:

Those are my two games of the year as well. God, I love games that place you all alone on an alien planet with an oppressive atmosphere.

Yeah agreed. It’s nice when video games use the superior Alien film as inspiration.