IGNORED

The Callisto Protocol - Spiritual Dead Space successor

Vemsie

8 hours ago, Ran said:

Aye, also in the 2 is well worth a go if you like the first game.

Dead space 3 is a bit of a heartbreaker because it feels compromised in the weapon department where EA have forced in a monetizable system around it and human enemies are a real turn off but I wouldn't say it's a total car crash (saying that I couldn't quite be bothered finishing it)

DS2 is one of those games that has been in my backlog forever. Is it possible to play through the whole game with just a plasma cutter, as I did through the first? It's true that I was stupidly chasing the achievement for that but having one basic weapon throughout really amplified the tension for me.

2 hours ago, DeciderVT said:

Is it possible to play through the whole game with just a plasma cutter, as I did through the first? It's true that I was stupidly chasing the achievement for that but having one basic weapon throughout really amplified the tension for me.

It's possible (but then so's completing Dark Souls using a Guitar Hero controller) but it's far, far harder than it is in the first Dead Space as the combat encounters are much more varied and frantic. There's no achievement/trophy for it either, which is indicative of the devs making no allowance second time round for that sort of self-handicapped playstyle.

10 hours ago, DeciderVT said:

DS2 is one of those games that has been in my backlog forever. Is it possible to play through the whole game with just a plasma cutter, as I did through the first? It's true that I was stupidly chasing the achievement for that but having one basic weapon throughout really amplified the tension for me.

I've done it on the hardest difficulty. It's less difficult than the first and the the Plasma Cutter is hugely powerful packed with upgrades, like the first.

11 hours ago, DeciderVT said:

You could do it, but it's not the best weapon in the game. Dead Space 2 has better weapon balance than the first, in which only a few weapons were truly useful.

I've been meaning to play Dead Space 2 on Hard Core mode for a long time but having to complete the game with only three saves is terrifying for a save scummer like myself who would often trek back to a prior save station after completing a particularly harrowing encounter just to avoid the possibility of dying and then having to do it again.

Also:

Spoiler

The damn Regenerator and those sneaky bastards who hide and then literally just charge at you. 

• 1 year later...

Same here. 

I worked alongside, and know, a bunch of the original Dead Space team. The majority of which aren't working on the DS Remake, but at the very least the Creative Director is involved in this. 

It was the standout game for me in the showcase last night and I loved the tease way back when. 

5 minutes ago, smithstock said:

Same here. 

I worked alongside, and know, a bunch of the original Dead Space team. The majority of which aren't working on the DS Remake, but at the very least the Creative Director is involved in this. 

It was the standout game for me in the showcase last night and I loved the tease way back when. 

Dead Space will always hold a special heart in my place. I'm shocked not much buzz about this as the trailer looked insane.

This was by a country mile the best thing in the State of Play last night. Glen Schofield getting to direct the spiritual successor to Dead Space that he’s been wanting to make for over a decade is just about the best pedigree you could wish for, and I thought the trailer looked fantastic.

Right up there as one of my most anticipated games and I’m far more interested in a genuinely new experience than yet another fucking remake of a game I played 15 years ago. A proper sci-fi horror game with today’s lighting technology and audio wizardry overseen by the guy responsible for the best example in its genre should be a winner. Hope it lives up to my lofty expectations but the trailer bodes very well indeed.

21 hours ago, yakumo said:

Am I wrong in being more excited about this than Re4 remake?

No, I am too. I think 4 Remake will be excellent but a new IP is more exciting and space horror is the best horror.

Add me to the pile of being way more excited about this than the Dead Space Remake and Resi 4gain. Not just because those are remakes of existing games but this honestly looks so much better. 

I'll probably end up getting all three of course, but my hype is firmly aimed in this direction :)

It's not an original observation, but this looks extremely similar to Dead Space in every way: the grungy sci-fi setting, the lighting, the enemies, the way the character moves, the combat, the minimalist UI, the shooting off of limbs, the music, the 'interact with this thing to suddenly make loads of nasty things pop out' gameplay. Even the way the player stomps his foot down on motherfuckers is exactly the same as Isaac. The only thing I could see different was the apparently psychokinetic powers the guy has to throw the enemies around, although that's not entirely dissimilar to how you could slow enemies down in DS.

None of this is a bad thing - I loved Dead Space - and I understand that this is a spiritual successor, made by a lot of the original devs, but I didn't think it would be *quite* so derivative. I bet the developers of this game were pissed right off when they heard about the officially-sanctioned DS remake. Both games are scheduled to release only a few months apart, too. I really hope this doesn't slip, otherwise EA might just eat up their audience with the remake, which they'll inevitably be able to pour more money into.

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

It's not an original observation, but this looks extremely similar to Dead Space in every way: the grungy sci-fi setting, the lighting, the enemies, the way the character moves, the combat, the minimalist UI, the shooting off of limbs, the music, the 'interact with this thing to suddenly make loads of nasty things pop out' gameplay. Even the way the player stomps his foot down on motherfuckers is exactly the same as Isaac. The only thing I could see different was the apparently psychokinetic powers the guy has to throw the enemies around, although that's not entirely dissimilar to how you could slow enemies down in DS.

None of this is a bad thing - I loved Dead Space - and I understand that this is a spiritual successor, made by a lot of the original devs, but I didn't think it would be *quite* so derivative. I bet the developers of this game were pissed right off when they heard about the officially-sanctioned DS remake. Both games are scheduled to release only a few months apart, too. I really hope this doesn't slip, otherwise EA might just eat up their audience with the remake, which they'll inevitably be able to pour more money into.

The dedicated melee system and more fledged-out telekineses seem the biggest differences but there's definitely a lot of DS in this. But given that we never got a new Dead Space (or anything similar really) since 3 and might never get one at all, I'll take it. They seem pretty confident about hitting that release date. Which might be bad news for the DS remake as more people seem excited about a new IP. I know I am, though I'll probably buy both.

I saw some people saying there were too many sci-fi horror games at SGF, and I was like "let me eat". We haven't gotten any of them in about a decade. I'll take what I can get.

18 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

I saw some people saying there were too many sci-fi horror games at SGF, and I was like "let me eat". We haven't gotten any of them in about a decade. I'll take what I can get.

I'm all for sci-fi horror, but I hope some of the announced games explore it in different ways. This and Dead Space and that Aliens games that was announced are all of a type - grungy, gory, alien-based horror - so I hope that there's at least one game that leans into cosmic space horror, or existential horror, like SOMA. I want Bloodborne in space.

It does look like the kind of labour of love you get when original developers are allowed to get back to what they want to make. Reminds me of what happened with a game like Overload which did the same for Descent I&II with people from those games and was a very well done spiritual sequel.

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

I'm all for sci-fi horror, but I hope some of the announced games explore it in different ways. This and Dead Space and that Aliens games that was announced are all of a type - grungy, gory, alien-based horror - so I hope that there's at least one game that leans into cosmic space horror, or existential horror, like SOMA. I want Bloodborne in space.

Routine looks more slower-paced, not sure how existential it will be. And yeah, I would love a From sci-fi horror game more than pretty much anything.

56 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

And yeah, I would love a From sci-fi horror game more than pretty much anything.

They already did one, back in 2004 for the PS2, Echo Night: Beyond

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, bumgut said:

I had no idea a descent clone existed for ps4. I shall investigate. thank you

It is basically Descent 4 in all but name, and when playing it you can tell the original creators were involved.

• 4 weeks later...